Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2017 1:25:23 AM EDT
I need help! I have a new dell desktop and i was looking at the video card settings and accidentally disabled the dell graphics card. (I know I'm a dumbass for doing that) When I restarted my machine (Windows 10), it won't show anything on the screen... no login.

I've seen some help online that if I pulled the cmos battery, that might reset the machine to default. But those comments were for windows 7 or xp. I really don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#1]
hit f8 as it's booting, select safe mode, then re-install the video drivers.  
Go into device manager, hit rescan and it might even do it for you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You might be able to pull the graphics card, boot up the machine, shut it down, reinstall the card, then boot it up again to try to force Windows to find "new hardware".
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Is your video cable (HDMI or DVI) plugged into you graphics card? Try moving it to your motherboard's graphic port.

Removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard will restore the BIOS settings to default on most motherboards. This works regardless of which operating system is installed. It also only affects BIOS settings, so if the disabling was done through something other than the BIOS, this won't work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.

I disabled the card from "device settings" (at least that's where I think I did it from)

The video card under the settings showed 2 - dell's card and Nvidia. Does that mean I have two video cards?

Windows 10 takes some getting used to.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I disabled the card from "device settings" (at least that's where I think I did it from)

The video card under the settings showed 2 - dell's card and Nvidia. Does that mean I have two video cards?

Windows 10 takes some getting used to.
View Quote

Possibly.

The device manager is the same from Windows XP to Windows 10.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hit f8 as it's booting, select safe mode, then re-install the video drivers.  
Go into device manager, hit rescan and it might even do it for you.
View Quote

You can't F8 boot since Win8. You can't completely disable your primary video adapter, if you uninstall it it just replaces it with the generic Windows VGA adapter on next boot.

OP: if you power the machine off and back on, you get power on-video, right? The Dell logo?  Since it showed you two display adapters in devmgr, do you have another video port you can try?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#7]
When I boot, the dell logo comes on the screen, and the little circle thing spins for a few seconds and then stops. From there it freezes and goes nowhere. I then have to hold the power button to shut off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I boot, the dell logo comes on the screen, and the little circle thing spins for a few seconds and then stops. From there it freezes and goes nowhere. I then have to hold the power button to shut off.
View Quote

If you do that three times in a row, Windows should detect a failed boot and take you to the recovery console. You can attempt a repair install from that point.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll give that a try. Thank you for your help. I'll report back later
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Is no updates a good thing, or a bad thing?

The suggestion above about removing the video card altogether and trying to boot from the on-board video is also a good one if you can't get it back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#11]
No updates, because I'm in Las Vegas for the weekend. Will give it a try monday...
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No updates, because I'm in Las Vegas for the weekend. Will give it a try monday...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
A little update. Now being back from my little vacation. This morning I began to work on repairing my new machine. As I powered it on, it figured something was wrong and asked if I want to repair, reset and something else. I decided on a reset as I didn't have many apps or programs installed. It did save all my files I had on the drive (ie, music and pictures).

I am just now finishing up my reset on win 10. Everything seems to be working as if it was brand new.

Maybe this last power "on" was the 3rd try and it initiated the repair? Anyway, I'm happy that it got fixed, so to speak.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A little update. Now being back from my little vacation. This morning I began to work on repairing my new machine. As I powered it on, it figured something was wrong and asked if I want to repair, reset and something else. I decided on a reset as I didn't have many apps or programs installed. It did save all my files I had on the drive (ie, music and pictures).

I am just now finishing up my reset on win 10. Everything seems to be working as if it was brand new.

Maybe this last power "on" was the 3rd try and it initiated the repair? Anyway, I'm happy that it got fixed, so to speak.
View Quote

Good deal, looks like it did the right thing re: automated recovery.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I think you're right. Thanks for the help, etc.

I investigated more about my graphics cards. I was wondering why my game (Ghost Recon Wildlands) was playing so f'n slow. I did the benchmark test, and it showed me that it was using the Intel HD Graphics 530 card instead of my Nvidia GTX 1070 card. It's a little frustrating. I'm trying to get my computer to use the 1070 instead of the Intel POS. I can't even get the Nvidia control panel to open.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think you're right. Thanks for the help, etc.

I investigated more about my graphics cards. I was wondering why my game (Ghost Recon Wildlands) was playing so f'n slow. I did the benchmark test, and it showed me that it was using the Intel HD Graphics 530 card instead of my Nvidia GTX 1070 card. It's a little frustrating. I'm trying to get my computer to use the 1070 instead of the Intel POS. I can't even get the Nvidia control panel to open.
View Quote

Download and install the newest GeForce driver package for Win10, and do a clean install.  Also make sure your monitor is plugged into the video card and not the onboard port.  There's also the off chance that you have a bad card and it went Tango Uniform on you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Is your monitor plugged into your on board display port or the one on the 1070?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah not plugged into the 1070. Fixed now!

Wildlands is completely lag free now. Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top