Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2017 11:26:58 PM EDT
I need a router that I can throttle bandwidth based on the internal/local IP.  My kids drive me fucking nuts with their fucking tablets.  I want to be able to throttle bandwidth by IP address on my local network.  Ideally by speed.  So I could set IP 1 to a max bandwidth of 1MB for example, or IP 2 to 500KB etc.  My current router only offers limited shaping by application.   Unfortunately, it tends to give high bandwidth to exactly what I don't want getting it.

Anyone recommend such a creature?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You seek a router with dynamic QOS. No recommendation on specific models sorry.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Asus
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
would a netlimiter work?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I know that Ubiquiti's Unifi line of products can do it. I only have their wireless access points. You can create user groups and assign connected clients to different user groups with certain bandwidth allowances. If I added a switch or the gateway, I would bet that it would work with wired connections as well.

But, getting into all of that stuff is pretty expensive from a consumer standpoint. If you only needed to limit wireless devices, you could buy a Ubiquiti wireless access point and do it that way (starts from ~$80 on Amazon Unifi UAP AC Lite).

Does your current router capable of having a guest network? If so, there may be a bandwidth limiting function for the guest network and have the tablets connect to that.

Also, sometimes these things require a static IP mapping for each device before you can set a bandwidth limitation in case the DHCP server assigns a different device the original IP address.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at building or buying a router loaded with the (free) third-party DD-WRT firmware.  Looks like it will do what you ask under the QOS settings.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#6]
what kind of terrible internet do you have that you have to use QOS?

btw I use a Watchguard T70 @ home it does exactly what you want but it is also hilariously expensive (not an humble brag I got mine from the WG beta program for free)

you could also look into the tons of devices that support a custom firmware like DD-WRT which basically takes any crap router and makes it not suck (and provides the features you're looking for)
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Mikrotik Router OS, Simple Queues

I've actually got a few devices at my home limited by bandwidth. Think I'm doing it via MAC address though instead of IP.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Great suggestions so far.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
It's possible your existing router firmware could be changed to DD-WRT. I did that to a router I had and it was a lot better than it was. I got a ASUS and they use a skin of DD-WRT from what I understand, they look very similar at least. 
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an Asus RT-AC3100 and like it a lot.  I use the QOS bandwidth limiting per device and it works very well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what kind of terrible internet do you have that you have to use QOS?
View Quote

Time Warner 60mb.  A single Steam download stream will knock any game sessions off the Internet.  A single YouTube stream hits 15mb.  Not even sure what my 4k TV hits.
We were having contention problems with 2 kids on YouTube and me trying to play a game.  So...  QOS to the rescue.  I limit the kids devices to 10mb each.  Problem solved.  Games stay online.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#12]
This is where th simplicity of meraki works well but it's $$$. 
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Time Warner 60mb.  A single Steam download stream will knock any game sessions off the Internet.  A single YouTube stream hits 15mb.  Not even sure what my 4k TV hits.
We were having contention problems with 2 kids on YouTube and me trying to play a game.  So...  QOS to the rescue.  I limit the kids devices to 10mb each.  Problem solved.  Games stay online.
View Quote

My TWC 50M service went to 75M once Spectrum came to be as Spectrum "doesn't support services under 100M". I noticed Youtube/Netflix/Hulu were getting really bad about pulling as much bandwidth as possible to buffer the entire movie/show back when I had a 12M connection so I ended up throttling devices to 5M (since at the time all I had were 720p TVs). Now I keep it throttled to 10M for all TVs and it seems to handle things fairly well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]
You can throttle steams download speeds I think
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can throttle steams download speeds I think
View Quote
You can, but my kids would inevitably mess with it.  Router-level gives me more control.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top