Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 1:57:05 AM EDT
do Bluetooth and a jack both transfer the same amount of data/ music?  Same speed?

thx
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Well you can't compare the data directly because one is digital and one is analog. If you only consider audio quality, AUX is better than BT. But a car is hardly a critical listening environment.

If you set it up to pair automatically with your car the BT would win out with me just for convenience. Plus you can make hands free calls over it as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]
My car is a 2014 Pathfinder.  It has Bluetooth and will pair and automatically start playing the last music app I used.  The app doesn't even have to be open.  I don't even have to take it out of my pocket.  It's hard to beat that kind of integration.  Anyone who says they need better quality audio going down the road at 40mph is full of shit.  A good customer for Monster Cable products though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Convenience wins for me. BT
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine syncs up automatically,  i just wondered if there was a difference.

From what I'm reading here,  there is a difference - I just can't hear it.

thx!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Bluetooth 4.0 is capable of transmitting data up to 250 Mbps…3.0 at 25 Mbps. CD's are considered the standard for audio quality today and their WAV format is encoded/decoded at a rate of 1411 kbps (1.4 Mbps).

Moral of the story, you'll never actually hear the difference. Bluetooth is completely capable of transmitting data at data rates which exceed CD quality (when most consumer phone's music stored in a MP4 format is at a 256 kbps rate).

Now, when your phone is in a pocket on the opposite of your body from the radio…you'll run into packet error issues that will disrupt audio quality but that's due to body attenuation over RF and not the protocol itself not being able to keep up. Also, some lower end phones may not be able to perform the DAC conversion at a CD quality data rate (modern car stereos can).
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#7]
How about Bluetooth vs. USB?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I never leave the BT on my phone on all the time, and in the time it takes to fire it up and sync it, I can have a wire plugged in and music playing.

However, I do set up BT for my moto helmet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

250 Mbps over Bluetooth 4.0 (best case) versus 640 Mbps over USB 2.0 (best case). Either way, it's way overkill for audio. Benefit to USB is that it charges as it goes. Also, if your phone has a poor resolution DAC then using Bluetooth or USB is a better option as the DAC is done by the stereo and not the phone.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

250 Mbps over Bluetooth 4.0 (best case) versus 640 Mbps over USB 2.0 (best case). Either way, it's way overkill for audio. Benefit to USB is that it charges as it goes. Also, if your phone has a poor resolution DAC then using Bluetooth or USB is a better option as the DAC is done by the stereo and not the phone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]
My Titan bluetooths the phone calls from my iPhone but not the music.  It does have a USB which delivers better sound quality than the XM radio.  My wife's Mazda 3 will bluetooth both or use an aux jack, the aux jack sounds better in her car.  

I think it depends on the head unit and how well it handles the data but from my experience I find that jacking to a USB sounds best.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Titan bluetooths the phone calls from my iPhone but not the music.  It does have a USB which delivers better sound quality than the XM radio.  My wife's Mazda 3 will bluetooth both or use an aux jack, the aux jack sounds better in her car.  

I think it depends on the head unit and how well it handles the data but from my experience I find that jacking to a USB sounds best.
View Quote
How old is your Titan?  My Pathfinder is a 2014 and it has two Bluetooth inputs available.  One for voice, one for music.  I can link different phones for each connection and have tested this feature.  It works well and is easy to set up.  Maybe see if yours has a similar setup available.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:32:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How old is your Titan?  My Pathfinder is a 2014 and it has two Bluetooth inputs available.  One for voice, one for music.  I can link different phones for each connection and have tested this feature.  It works well and is easy to set up.  Maybe see if yours has a similar setup available.
View Quote
My 2013 Sierra is the same way, bluetooth is only for calling (unless you replace the module with a 3rd party module). Back when I had a vehicle with an aftermarket radio with bluetooth I'd generally use Bluetooth for all things phone and kept a USB flash drive in the USB port with my full library (I've since upgraded phones with better storage).
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, it supports direct USB iPhone music hookups and phone BT.  I can voice command through the truck but using Siri directly is much better.  I either pull from my own library or pandora if I use my phone.  I may have mentioned it but XM sound quality sucks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Bluetooth adapter in my car as it doesn't have onboard BT connectivity. It plugs into my aux port. Works great I think it was $20 or so
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 2011 Toyota FJ and I don't even touch my phone, the bluetooth picks it up and plays just like a radio station.   That being said, the sound is a little better when wired and, mainly, Bluetooth eats up the battery quickly whereas the cable (USB plug) charges the phone.   So if I'm on a really short drive, I use Bluetooth.   A 15 min or more drive and I plug it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top