Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2017 8:18:59 AM EDT
Can't wait for some benchmarks.  Prices around $700.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,33775.html

Comes with 11GB of mem vs the 8GB of the 1080s.  

Review
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972.html
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Crazy amount of stream processors and memory bandwidth too.  should be hella fast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
DAMN COMPUTER'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just when I have a big upgrade and am happy with the performance they have to come out with newer faster cheaper....................
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crazy amount of stream processors and memory bandwidth too.  should be hella fast.
View Quote
Saw claims of 35% faster than the 1080s.  If so, then damn.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it's finally time to pick up my 4k 60 FPS card.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Review link added.  More should start flowing in.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow- this is neat.

Still happy with my 1060 3Gb- can't imagine what this is like.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow- this is neat.

View Quote

Not really a whole hell of a lot of difference. I replaced 2 980ti's with MSI 1080 Gaming X cards last July. I got a big FPS bump, and the fan on the top card comes on sometimes instead of the card thermal limiting like the 980ti did. The extra memory is nice on the 1080ti, but the clock speeds are a lot lower than the 1080's that are already out on the market, especially with MSI and EVGA's cards. I wanna see some binned cards with some FAT over clocks on them in SLI before I get all gushy for one. Right now it looks like all hat and no cattle.

I don't mean to pull a Dennis Miller and get on a rant, but if a card runs a game at 40-60 FPS in 4k.. you're good. Anything else is overkill if you're running a monitor capped at 60 hz. As of today, you've got 2 IPS panel monitors that are both pushing $800 a pop to take advantage of the new "tech" in GPU's. I saw the manstrating over the new monitors from ASUS and ACER with the new 1.21 gigawatt displays, and they'll be double the price to play console ported games on . The monitor tech hasn't caught up and the games sure as hell haven't with VERY few exceptions.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow- this is neat.

View Quote

I'm still running a back-of-the-bus 870 & probably will stick to that with my current games library.  Upgrading will be a necessity when VR goes mainstream, though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not really a whole hell of a lot of difference. I replaced 2 980ti's with MSI 1080 Gaming X cards last July. I got a big FPS bump, and the fan on the top card comes on sometimes instead of the card thermal limiting like the 980ti did. The extra memory is nice on the 1080ti, but the clock speeds are a lot lower than the 1080's that are already out on the market, especially with MSI and EVGA's cards. I wanna see some binned cards with some FAT over clocks on them in SLI before I get all gushy for one. Right now it looks like all hat and no cattle.

I don't mean to pull a Dennis Miller and get on a rant, but if a card runs a game at 40-60 FPS in 4k.. you're good. Anything else is overkill if you're running a monitor capped at 60 hz. As of today, you've got 2 IPS panel monitors that are both pushing $800 a pop to take advantage of the new "tech" in GPU's. I saw the manstrating over the new monitors from ASUS and ACER with the new 1.21 gigawatt displays, and they'll be double the price to play console ported games on . The monitor tech hasn't caught up and the games sure as hell haven't with VERY few exceptions.
View Quote
thats why they should still be pushing SLI.  There is no way to push 4K with over 60fps unless you have SLI.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
and here I am still sitting and waiting for 1070 prices to fall below MSRP.  Fuck it at this point I'm waiting to see if AMD can do any damage to the market.  Don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore anyway.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
thats why they should still be pushing SLI.  There is no way to push 4K with over 60fps unless you have SLI.  
View Quote

The 1080's I have run cool... The only 2 time's I hit the thermal limit on the top card was benchmarking. The only thing I fiddled with in Afterburner was I set my max power to 100%. Witcher 3, doom, CS:go kick ass at 2560x1440p on a 27 inch monitor. The hardware is there with gpu's and processors, the monitor end has 2 manufacturers swinging their dicks at each other because they get their screens from 1 shoddy vendor and the gaming end is. well, in console land.

VR?? From what I've seen with VR is a high res cellphone snapped in some goggles. It's a High resolution display.. I get it, but it's still 4k or really 1920x1080p for each eye.... 2 inches away from your face.. on a what?? 4x6 screen?? I might be missing something but, I don't see where ANY premium gpu couldn't light up a cellphone sized screen any less than it would light up a 27" or bigger monitor.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I tend to agree with you.  I've never seen such diminishing returns like we have today.

I also upgraded from a GT 640 that was still doing pretty good for me, so the 1060 seems like an absolute beast!
It's really fun to watch the technology improvements these days.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]
VR needs locked frame rates at or > 90 so there is far less chance of motion sickness.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
and here I am still sitting and waiting for 1070 prices to fall below MSRP.  Fuck it at this point I'm waiting to see if AMD can do any damage to the market.  Don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore anyway.
View Quote

Give it  a month or two for the cork sniffers to talk themselves into believing that they can actually see a 10 to 20 fps bump with the 1080ti flounders card and the 1070 prices will plummet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I tend to agree with you.  I've never seen such diminishing returns like we have today.

I also upgraded from a GT 640 that was still doing pretty good for me, so the 1060 seems like an absolute beast!
It's really fun to watch the technology improvements these days.
View Quote

Above the -70 level for nvidia has been an insane price jump for next to no performance increase pretty much since they began that numbering system.  I have a 670 now, and it's only just begun to hit its limits for my 1680x1050 screen.  In fact it still really hasn't if I'm satisfied with 30 fps but I have disposable income now and want to play Far Cry 3 (Yes I'm far behind) in buttery smooth 50-60.  I remember the first time I played Crysis on this rig without the micro-stutter I never realized was there.  Also kinda miss CRTs for that reason.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Give it  a month or two for the cork sniffers to talk themselves into believing that they can actually see a 10 to 20 fps bump with the 1080ti flounders card and the 1070 prices will plummet.
View Quote

The 1080ti is based on the pascal, and is a way more powerful card than the 1070. All benchmarks have already shown at least a 20fps increase over the 1080.

Are you seriously insinuating the 1070 will be a comparable card with negligible difference between it and the 1080ti?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The 1080ti is based on the pascal, and is a way more powerful card than the 1070. All benchmarks have already shown at least a 20fps increase over the 1080.

Are you seriously insinuating the 1070 will be a comparable card with negligible difference between it and the 1080ti?
View Quote
It depends on what you're doing with it. The 1080Ti founders numbers are pretty damn lackluster compared to what they've done in the past, and like I said, if you're running a program at max settings at 4k (in 60 hz, which is the best a 4k monitor can do now) with a 1070, what "magic" is going to be performed?  So if I game on a 4k monitor and I'm hitting 60-80 FPS, what is another 10 or 20 going to do? Not a whole lot unless you're Twitch gaming CS:GO or making videos like Linus and Jayz2cents. It can try to push 2000fps, but you're not going to push any morethan your screen is capable of displaying. VR is pushing it. I'm a semi casual gamer.. More serious during the winter months. I'll venture to say that I'll NEVER buy a VR rig. I'm looking at $1400 in GPU's 2 feet to my right that either card is on par or better better than the 1080Ti flounders card except for the memory. The GPU's have and are still outrunning the displays. ALL the big title games look and run the same in 4k whether you're running 60 fps or 80-100 fps. I'm not trying to be an asshole about it, but hardware limits are being reached and if somebody wants to run out and buy a 1080Ti when what they've already got is fine, or more than enough, well PT Barnum said it best.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#18]
We JUST had a big jump with Pascal. I give it that. Is it going to be worth throwing a 1070 in the trash for the TI?? I wouldn't bet on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top