Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2017 10:43:25 AM EDT
Hello all, I'm not very good with computer systems and such so any jhelp is appreciated.
My setup is, I have comcast with their modem.  the wireless signal is terrible so I purchased a Lynksys router plugged directly to the Comcast modem and use its wireless signal for home use.
I work from home on a laptop which connects to my personal lynksys router wirelessly but work has sent these Lynksismodel 891FW routers that we are supposed to hardwire to our modem/router and then from the 891FW to a phone provided by work, then from there, connect to the laptops docking station.  Unfortunately, my incoming comcast modem is on the other side of the house from my work location within my home so I would need to run an  ethernet cable about 150 ft which is a major task.  Otherwise, I was thinking about wirelessley recieving my personal lynksys router signal to a reciever next to my work location, then connecting that reciever to work's Lynksys 891FW and go on from there.  Is there some type of device I can purchase which takes the signal from my personal lynksys router, and I can plug the work's 891FW to it, and go from there?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833139036

they used to make a lot of different ones like this. but they mostly switched to usb vs rj45 connections.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks but I'm not sure if that'll be powerful enough.  And I would need a second one, I guess, to plug into works linksys box.  I assume I need something to plug into my personal  linksys router to broadcast, and then something to plug into works linksys box which receives the signal.   What would that be called, and what's the name of the connection for Ethernet cables?   Is that RJ 45?   Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Would this be any good ?  

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=A7645431&dgc=ST&cid=298721&lid=5704670&acd=12309152537501410&ven1=sKgmZLBI9&ven2=,&ven3=573903775584954922
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hardware Ethernet is the best solution. Power line networking may or may not work depending on your houses wiring.

What you are wanting is a wireless bridge. Depending on the amount of intereference and walls in between, it may or may not work well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
150 ft across your house?

That is some house you got there.!!!!!

Get Comcast to move the modem there, or get somebody to run some RG6 co-ax,
or some cat5 cable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you already have the serious replies, a wire stretcher will let you get longer Ethernet runs.  Just be sure to overspec with higher capacity cable, since stretching it narrows the cross-section and reduces the carrying capacity.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The line is not a direct 150 feet, it's if I were to wire through the walls it would probably run about 150 feet and it's gonna be really difficult because I've got all kinds of shit in the way with ducts angled walls and such. My personal  router is only about 30 feet directly away from my work computer so I was thinking if I can get something wireless it wouldn't be tough to get a good signal to it.

Would one of these work for me? Any particular one better than the other?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001413&IsNodeId=1&Description=Wireless%20bridge&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=36

And I am thinking that maybe this one is just what I needed. Thoughts?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ41G5798&cm_re=Wireless_bridge-_-33-124-473-_-Product
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks but I'm not sure if that'll be powerful enough.  And I would need a second one, I guess, to plug into works linksys box.  I assume I need something to plug into my personal  linksys router to broadcast, and then something to plug into works linksys box which receives the signal.   What would that be called, and what's the name of the connection for Ethernet cables?   Is that RJ 45?   Thanks
View Quote

no you only need one.
This is a wireless adapter.
Most of the ones you see today are usb. This one us regular ethernet.
It requires its own power supply and it will work like the wireless card in your laptop and hook into your router.
You don't need to hook the work box directly to your modem. you just need to make sure your router has the correct ports open for it to connect to the internet.
I used a similar cisco box for my work that gave me voip phone and vpn connections into work.
you may need to find it on your router and put it in the dmz or just do a pass through setup for it to work.
your tech support guys should be able to tell you what ports it needs to see.

They don't tell you that, because they don't want to trouble shoot with people that don't know how to setup their own routers. Plus there are thousands or millions of different routers and they can't know how to set up yours.

It would in theory do the same as the powerline adapter, but not have to worry if you were on the same circuit, as I understand those had issues crossing breakers.

your second item will work the same as what I linked.
the main difference is 5.0 ghz support.
mine is only 2.5 ghz.
should be sufficent, and really you are still limited by your internet speeds.
you are paying 4times as much for that vs what I showed.

BUT, I have no idea if the one I linked is any good, and the last one I needed only came in g band. So you might pay more for a known brand/name if you are not worried about cost.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you turn off the wireless on the comcast modem?

I have a nighthawk and a new motorola modem that i activated through comcast. So no leasing of their equipment.

Night and day difference. My house is about 50ft long.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Andrew. When it comes to work I'll spend the extra money because it is really frustrating as hell when I'm in the middle of  doing something and I lose connection and I'm out for a few minutes or so. I am a fan of Linksys so I think I'll give them a try

I think I'll go ahead and buy this one unless someone has a better product to recommend

This
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you turn off the wireless on the comcast modem?

I have a nighthawk and a new motorola modem that i activated through comcast. So no leasing of their equipment.

Night and day difference. My house is about 50ft long.
View Quote

Good point, why am I renting their crap?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top