Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2017 8:52:43 AM EDT
Every once in a while, I will be browsing various sites and in an article or on a forum post... specific keywords will be hyperlinked to external ads. For instance, On this very forum, everytime the word "ammo" shows up... it ends up being hyperlinked. It is obvious that the poster did not make these links himself. They seem to be affiliated with "pangora" and "Bizrate". 

I get tired of clicking on links, thinking they were inserted by the poster... only for it to be the result of some adware. I've noticed the *EXACT* same issue using Chrome on my Linux laptop as well. So whatever it is, it seem to have infected my Browser's configuration in the cloud. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I just got done running malwarebytes... but the problem still persists.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Your infected with it ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure anti virus software is up to date and do full system scan, good luck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Wait... are you guy's seeing the word >>>> ammo <<<<< being linked right here in this thread as well? 

Because my girlfriend's PC is also doing the same thing from half-way around the world. I'm wondering if this is something ARFCom has been infected with. I checked on other sites... and ammo is not automatically being linked to external sites. 
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Again, do a full scan on your device with a well reputed anti virus program. It should remove it.

After I did that it went away. And I learned not all web sites and not all links are friendly. Be careful what you click.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
You are not a team member, so ar15.com makes money off you by inserting those advertising links. Team members don't see the adware hotlinks.

It's not an external program, or problem with your machine or browser, and the only way to stop it would be to pay for a team membership.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I downloaded ccleaner once and got a infected link. That said I have ghostery and ccleaner and no issue. Ghostery has easy setup and works well on my pic. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are not a team member, so ar15.com makes money off you by inserting those advertising links. Team members don't see the adware hotlinks.

It's not an external program, or problem with your machine or browser, and the only way to stop it would be to pay for a team membership.
View Quote
Oh OK! It just reminds me of those twice underlined links, that have popups show up when you hover over them. Those things are a *MAJOR* pain in the ass to get rid of. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top