Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2017 11:16:48 AM EDT
HP has announced plans to integrate Bromium's virtualization technology into a laptop as a defence against malware.

Rather interesting... each tab in Chrome and IE (curious - no mention of Edge?) gets launched in its own VM. It is described as built in, so I assume there is special BIOS level code to handle dozens of micro-VMs at the hardware level. I take that to mean it is more immune to exploits that poke around outside of the browser application.

HP soured me on their user-side products by the expedient of putting a laptop and desktop on my desk for several years. The distaste still remains, but this technology may go a long way towards fixing that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have thought being Amish would have soured you from HP's computers.

But all kidding aside: VMs have come a long way, and yes, there's both processor and BIOS support for complete virtualization now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like they are doing roughly the same thing. The HP offering seems to be focused on a more granular browser-only model where each tab is its own protected VM, and the Dell version sounds like it does it on an APP by APP basis. 

I would be lying if I said that the thought of this kind of protection in my environment didn't generate a little wood chub under my desk.... 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top