Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2017 6:16:16 PM EDT
I had been getting by for the last couple of years with a G3258 running at 4.1 GHz, because I'm cheap.  I had been waiting for prices on a 4790k to come down, but it ain't happening, , and I wanted to play Titanfall 2, so I bit the bullet.

At stock settings, temps on Prime95 v26.6 were hitting 80 deg with my old Corsair H50 cooler.  I cranked the voltage down to 1.15 vcore, cranked the multiplier up to 44, and now it's not going over 75 deg at 4.4 GHz.  I haven't adjusted VRIN, ring voltage, or anything else.  Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H.

I probably won't bother to try to OC it any higher; I think 4.4 should be adequate, and I like the fact that it's stable at reduced voltage.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice, I've been overclocking mine all day. I would advise against p95 because it is known to artificially raise voltages, I use Intel's XTU and/or OCCT. You may be able to use even less voltage.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, I've been overclocking mine all day. I would advise against p95 because it is known to artificially raise voltages, I use Intel's XTU and/or OCCT. You may be able to use even less voltage.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I remember reading somewhere that OCCT can exhibit odd, possibly damaging behavior also (not sure if it was true, or if so, if the problem is now fixed).  I may download XTU and play with the settings some more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top