Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2017 8:04:13 PM EDT
Just a warning so you can stop it before it happens to you.  Yesterday, my computer did an update (KB3213986), and now the start menu, window button, Edge, Cortana and the action center won't work.  Tried everything I can think of, Microsoft support, forums and every other avenue to no avail. It seems like it had happened to some other people too.  I've been running Win10 since it came out and this is the first issue I've had with it.  I hope they will roll out a fix soon.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
used to happen to me alot
this helps
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

after i reformated i never got the issue again.

this issues has been around for a long time
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I've tried everything in that article but reinstall, and I'm hesitant since I don't want to have to reinstall everything.  I can live with it for the time being, it's just a hassle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Disable Aero.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
have you tried to do a restore to a earlier date?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
All of the restore points are gone for some reason, I could not uninstall the update either.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of the restore points are gone for some reason, I could not uninstall the update either.
View Quote

Those are indicators of a bigger, deeper-seated problem.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I came home today and everything miraculously started working again. Hmmmm
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I make it a point of staying one step behind any new operating system.

V
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
See if a classic shell may take over those functions..

http://www.classicshell.net/

Most people dog on W10 because of the shitty layout, using classic shell makes it better than any of the previous windows
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I ran win10 perfect until the anniversary update and now my computer sucks.. I have spent hours rolling back drivers and turning shit of. My laptop is a few years old so who knows if some drivers will ever be updated. I actually like the win10 layout and it worked well with touchscreen.

Now that they force updates on you whether you want it or not I wonder if something else might work just as well. I do simple stuff on my laptop I don't need all this crap.

I wonder if the stuff you mentioned actually isn't working or if the latency is so high it seems like it isn't working. I can hit the start icon and nothing happens for like 15 seconds.. then the menu pops up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top