Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 2:20:16 PM EDT
We have a Xerox 4-color laser printer 6280dn - it is not wireless.

It is hooked up via LAN cable to the wifi router.   Router is a WNDR4000 router.

It shows up on wifi maps (netgear genie).   Currently it has a local IP addy of 192.168.1.10

The .10 changes everytime the router loses power and is something of a pita, but it's manageable.  I know I can set a fixed IP addy, but I haven't figured out how exactly to do it.

Normally it's no problem for either my mac or the wifes W10 laptop to find it and print to it.

A couple weeks ago, I couldn't print to it from my mac (imac or macbook pro)  I had to go into the CUPS administration menu and install the printer from the IP address.  That worked fine.  Installing from the system preferences menu didn't work - it said there was a communication issue and it set up the printer= but couldn't print to it.   So I logged into the CUPS menu, installed it, and it worked fine.  

Until today.    Charter/Spectrum had local internet connection issues a few days ago and I have not been able to print since.    I rebooted the modem, rebooted the router, reset the printer, had the DHCP pick an IP address (normally it likes to be .12 or .13, today its .10)  The printer shows up on netgear internet map as .10, I can go to 192.168.1.10 on my browser and it logs in fine and gives me supply levels fine.

Go to CUPS and install a printer on 192.168.1.10 - print test page --nothing.    no jobs, no print, no communication.  no nothing.   says printer may be unavailable or offline.

I have not tried printing from wifes W10 laptop.  She isn't home and I hate messing with her computer if I don't have to.

My iMac is hooked to the router via LAN cable, the macbook pro is via wireless.    Both macs are running os/x latest version - I have not upgraded to sierra.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you know your printer's MAC address, you can easily set it up to a reserved IP address using the NETGEAR genie interface.  If you don't know the MAC address of your printer, printing out a configuration page should have it, or you can probably find it through the genie interface as well.

Once you do that, on the genie interface, choose the advanced tab, then Setup - Lan Setup, and you'll have a page where you can add a reserved IP address.  You manually enter the IP address you want and the MAC address of your printer, and once it is saved the router will automatically assign that IP address to your printer.

See this article.

v/r

Mike
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I'll give that a try - if I can get the thing to print again at all.

the config page gives the MAC addy, as well as one of the network mapping apps I have.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
May have it sorted out.  I'm not entirely sure yet.  Looking at the printer properties on the protocols selection IPP was not enabled.  I enabled the IPP protocol and now at least the macs can see the printer and give me a 'supplies' report.  No idea how that got disabled.

Have not tried setting a permanent IP addy.  Doesn't sound difficult.  I'll work on that at some point.

Nope - had to set it up use LPD protocol, not IPP.   Works fine (?)
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#4]
You should also be able to set a static IP on the printers menu screen using the menu buttons.  It's usually surprisingly easy.

Also try http://<printer IP address> or https://<printer IP address> if you do get it to where you know what address it picked up.  It'll either have no authentication or it will be something like admin/password or admin/admin.  Google can say for sure.

Once you set the static IP by some method or other, make sure you exclude that address from your router's DHCP pool to remove the chance of it being given to another device on you LAN.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is Netgear's tutorial on how to reserve a DHCP address so your printer always gets the same one:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25722/~/how-do-i-reserve-an-ip-address-on-my-netgear-router%3F?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top