Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2016 7:33:19 PM EDT
Win 10 uses a LOT less bytes on the drive it's installed on than Win 7 did, 10 gigs or more less, but what about running memory?

I was thinking about getting more memory for my laptop, which has 4 gigs now, so I checked to see what it was using. I have Firefox with 13 tabs open, Edge with one, Thunderbird with my email, two file explorer windows, the task manager and a Freecell game all open and I'm using 2.4 gigs. I could have sworn Win 7 used more memory than this or do I just remember wrong?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say you should probably have 8 gigs of ram for any laptop/desktop
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Win 10 uses a LOT less bytes on the drive it's installed on than Win 7 did, 10 gigs or more less, but what about running memory?

I was thinking about getting more memory for my laptop, which has 4 gigs now, so I checked to see what it was using. I have Firefox with 13 tabs open, Edge with one, Thunderbird with my email, two file explorer windows, the task manager and a Freecell game all open and I'm using 2.4 gigs. I could have sworn Win 7 used more memory than this or do I just remember wrong?
View Quote

There are some improvements in 10 when it comes to RAM usage.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say you should probably have 8 gigs of ram for any laptop/desktop
View Quote

That's what I was thinking but with all that open, which is the  most I'll likely ever use,  I still had 1.5 gigs free and the used memory incuded the video memory which is probably 512 megabytes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Is anybody else getting a weird discrepancy on Windows OS between what the computer says you have left on your hard drive vs. what is actually there when go inside the hard drive, show hidden files, and select everything to get the size?

Thought I might've tracked it down to the restore points it creates, I deleted them and sure enough it freed up the space. However, even when setting the max size and turning off restore points the discrepancy keeps coming back.

After running multiple virus scans and checking for unwanted programs and services, I've found nothing.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is anybody else getting a weird discrepancy on Windows OS between what the computer says you have left on your hard drive vs. what is actually there when go inside the hard drive, show hidden files, and select everything to get the size?

Thought I might've tracked it down to the restore points it creates, I deleted them and sure enough it freed up the space. However, even when setting the max size and turning off restore points the discrepancy keeps coming back.

After running multiple virus scans and checking for unwanted programs and services, I've found nothing.

Thoughts? Ideas?
View Quote

Recovery partition? Page file?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts? Ideas?

Page File, Volume Shadow Copy, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top