Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 5:52:34 PM EDT
I have a remote location that seems cursed. Everything is good, everything is good, FML, everything is good....

The HP 1820-8 switch is showing 33 days uptime and no incoming or outgoing errors. The user claims to get better service on wifi (which runs back to the same Fortinet 60 that the switch does)

I need something to put in place that will do some seriously paranoid ping tests of everything from the computers and printers, to the switches, router and their primary application's web host. Maybe a ping packet every 5-10 seconds. to a dozen targets with success/failure logging and maybe log file emailing.

I have an old desktop I can drop either a linux or windows install on for this.

Any suggestions?

ETA....

Maybe PRTG? Pulling a copy now to see just what it does.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
PRTG would be a good start.  Nagios Core with Cacti is another option, beware typical OpenSource friendly setup.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
PRTG is great. SNMP and Netflow free up to 100 devices.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PRTG would be a good start.  Nagios Core with Cacti is another option, beware typical OpenSource friendly setup.
View Quote

I tried setting up Nagios once... Think I got it working on one system more by mistake than anything.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I tried setting up Nagios once... Think I got it working on one system more by mistake than anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?  My former job they used Nagios for all the monitoring, but I suspect it was only used because the source code became the framework for a dev team of like 30 guys to build what was really needed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#5]
PRTG is a great option. I just deployed it at my office to start replacing ZENOSS core. It's just much more capable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Out network group uses SolarWinds which is an enterprise solution.  My group uses Nagios and has for years.  Nagios is a giant pain in the butt but it works.  PRTG is pretty decent and on my radar to replace what we currently have.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Out network group uses SolarWinds which is an enterprise solution.  My group uses Nagios and has for years.  Nagios is a giant pain in the butt but it works.  PRTG is pretty decent and on my radar to replace what we currently have.
View Quote

SolarWinds is really preferred.. but that price tag

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#8]
For really quick and dirty, we sometimes run this from a cron job. It could be worked over a little to have it loop and sleep instead of being launched by cron constantly. If you want to ping every 15 seconds, you obviously don't want a failure email every 15 seconds, so it also should probably direct to a file, keep a failure counter, and only email the file when the failure counter hits a certain level. Actually, I can think of several improvements I should make to it when I have time.

#!/bin/bash

function ping_check {
 ping -c 1 $1
 if [ $? -gt 0 ]
 then
   echo "$2" | mail -s "$2" [email protected]
 fi
}

ping_check 10.10.11.21 "esx09 Ping Failure"

ping_check 10.2.1.7 "dfw-1002-r5 Ping Failure"

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those unlimited licenses don't come cheap.  I've got one for NPM, NTA, NCM.  

Might be able to find out the problem with a solarwinds demo,  but you will have sales on your ass like white on rice.

Use that to persuade management you need money for tools.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a solarwinds quote to get PRTG approved.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just one user complaining....I'd replace their network cable, betting it's coming out for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just one user complaining....I'd replace their network cable, betting it's coming out for some reason.

View Quote
As much as that is a likely answer, given the shoddy state of their infrastructure, I don't think its the root. It doesn't explain my VPN link into their network dropping at the same time this user was having a problem.

I'm suspecting router or ISP failure, but want to collect everything I can to disprove other theories too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Power flickering?
Got a UPS there?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds to me like a raspberry pie with some basic scripts kind of problem to me.  That's what I would do anyway.  It can do all you want and more and pretty easily.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Double Tap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top