Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2016 7:46:27 PM EDT
Need something inexpensive too surf the web and was looking on Amazon, and kept coming across Chrome books. Don't know anything about them.

Thanks for the help!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I rocked a Cr48 (1st one) an Acer C720, and have an Acer R11.

I am an unapologetic Android guy.

It integrates very well with your phone.

It is easy to surf and bock ads.  It does everything a normal person needs a laptop to do.

It is darn near disposable.  

The C720 was my favorite.  I may pick up another.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I rocked a Cr48 (1st one) an Acer C720, and have an Acer R11.

I am an unapologetic Android guy.

It integrates very well with your phone.

It is easy to surf and bock ads.  It does everything a normal person needs a laptop to do.

It is darn near disposable.  

The C720 was my favorite.  I may pick up another.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If you just want to surf the web and check email, they're great. Big fan of mine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you just want to surf the web and check email, they're great. Big fan of mine.
View Quote

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Recently bought both the kids an IdeaPad 100s from Best Buy.  Two computers for $300 was hard to turn down.  They like them and they run fine for what they use it for.  

If I was primarily interested in email/web browsing/very basic word processing with Google Docs, they work fine.  Setting up a printer via Cloud Print is a semi-annoying pain in the ass, but otherwise it's similar to setting up an Android tablet or iPad.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive had an HP chromebook for a couple of years and love it

SSHD- instant boot up
integrates with android phone well
does everything I Need to do
adblock
browser doesn't crash out like IE
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a great questions as I am trying to figure out which; a chromebook or pc, to pick up for my sophomore aged daughter.

Will it work ok for a high school student?  Will it be ok with Excel, Word, Powertpoint, etc...?

Don't want to spend the loot to find there is a issue if she's doing a group project and it's not compatible to what the others are using....
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love mine
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is a great questions as I am trying to figure out which; a chromebook or pc, to pick up for my sophomore aged daughter.

Will it work ok for a high school student?  Will it be ok with Excel, Word, Powertpoint, etc...?

Don't want to spend the loot to find there is a issue if she's doing a group project and it's not compatible to what the others are using....
View Quote

If you are using Google Docs, it is really easy to share the doc and track changes with the group.  The Google Doc can be converted to a Word doc when completed.  It is really handy.  

Chromebooks are experimenting with allowing android apps to run on them.  I installed the developer preview of it on the Acer R11 I mentioned earlier.  It works, "OK," but is buggy at this time.  Once this gets some polish on it, you will be able to use a chromebook, install the office 365 app, and work on office docs in the cloud.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the input!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top