Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2016 10:50:33 PM EDT
I have a Dell Power edge 2950 with a raid 6 array.  Currently running 3 vm's on VMware vsphere esxi. one of which is my firewall.

Yesterday I have a drive fail in the array and the orange light on the drive status indicator was blinking.  I would assume that because the array is still intact the VM's would keep on going like nothing happened.  But it appears that when the drive failed, it took out my internet because the firewall wen't offline.  I could ping the esxi host and connect to esxi with the client software but it was empty. not showing any vm's or info beyond the esxi host.
Is this normal or should the vm's have not been interrupted?    I inspected the dell settings to see if it was doing some automated task that would kill the array if a drive wen't bad but couldn't find anything that would do this.  Any ideas?

Rebooting server restored the virtual machines.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen this when RAID controllers are starting to go out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats odd is if i simply pull a drive while it's running, nothing happens. VM's keep running like it should.

After inserting a replacement drive and letting it rebuild.  I put the bad drive back in.  It successfully rebuilt itself and worked for a few hours before it was detected as a bad drive again. and once again took down my vm's.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It successfully rebuilt itself and worked for a few hours before it was detected as a bad drive again. and once again took down my vm's.  
View Quote

This makes no logical sense and I would have to go with a bad RAID controller also.

Isn't the 2950 a 10 year old machine? Which controller does it have in it?

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This makes no logical sense and I would have to go with a bad RAID controller also.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It successfully rebuilt itself and worked for a few hours before it was detected as a bad drive again. and once again took down my vm's.  

I think they were released in 2006, so yeah.  I believe it was the Perc 5/i but I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
It's running a perc6i.  I do have another perc6 laying around. I'll swap and rebuild the bad drive and see what happens.  It seems to me if the card was bad itnwould be doing more then this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what firewall are you running?
View Quote

I have used pfsense mostly but am trying out untangle at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top