Posted: 7/30/2016 12:22:14 AM EDT
Would you?

Did you?

How'd it go?

Happy with results?

Should I?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have, on eligible machines, but have retained Win7/8.1 backups of those systems so I can go back if I choose, or M$ does what I think they're likely to do.

I also download several new linux distros every other month or so, just in case.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes x3.
Very happy with no issues. It's down to the wire on free upgrades as I recall.
Trump threads seem to have replaced this topic.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I did 3 PC's today, 2 others a few days back.

Anything Win7 with non- UEFI boot was imaged with macrium reflect.

Some machines I just grabbed a spare HDD and did a clean W-X install using the case sticker license code.

I will revert and run my W7 or W8.1 systems till end of life before I switch back to W-X.  I had the W-X beta on another system - its been fine for a goof off machine, YouTube, Netflix, Web Browsing. but knowing what I use to do real work on PC's - W-X is more pain than pleasure.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't do it.  I'm happy with my Windows 7 machine and figure that by the time Window 7 reaches its end of life, I'll be buying a new machine that comes with Windows 10 (if I want Windows 10).
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:14:54 AM EDT
[#5]
For my laptop I kept windows 7.

For my gaming pc I didn't have much of a choice. I upgraded to 10. Many of the newest cards aren't compatible with 7.

Truthfully if all of your programs are legit it is a pretty nice upgrade.

If you need Windows 7 to run older programs, or if certain programs are cracked windows 7 is still better.

Not advocating anything illegal, just stating the facts. I don't believe Windows 10 currently has any strict DRM, but may in the future.

For Windows 10 users that miss the WIN7 GUI there is this,

http://www.classicshell.net/

It doesn't feel much different. Especially once you tweak the registry and get rid of a few WIN10 exclusive graphical "enhancements".
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I imaged the laptop - then since I would have had to wipe the drive and done a clean install since I was upgrading from Win 7 Pro 32 to 10 pro 64, I just grabbed another HDD and did the clean install.

Today the Win 7 HDD is back in place.

Will revert my other "pro" workstation.

Win 10 upgrade could not cope with the RAID5 in my gaming system it failed several times and finally I just pulled the RAID and put in a single drive and did a clean W/X install. That worked - until I loaded the 10 version AMD Catylist driver and got an endless error until I blocked loading at boot via msconfig.

I need a working machine with a floppy drive since that is the only way to get programs and data into some dedicated manufacturing machines. That or a true RS-232 serial port that has RTS/CTS and DCD, DTR/DSR hardware signals. USB can pound sand. I would love to be able to use an Arduino to act as a serial data server - but they have failed include support for RTS/CTS and any other hardware handshake protocols in the libraries.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, hopefully the free upgrade timeline comes quickly so Win7 is no longer desirable, at which point the price will drop, and I can buy more and more licensed copies from amazon and fleabay.

Windows 10 = Hillary Clinton

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, hopefully the free upgrade timeline comes quickly so Win7 is no longer desirable, at which point the price will drop, and I can buy more and more licensed copies from amazon and fleabay.

View Quote

How does this sound:  Prices for license key only. Note that any 32 bit iso of home or pro can load any version of 32 bit, its all based on the license key as to which version installs. The same goes for 64 - one DVD or USB can load any version.

Win 7 Home Premo for $20.45
Win 7 Pro                for $23.21
Win 7 Ultimate        for $38.64

Kinguin.net - its overseas but I have been a happy customer. Just put Win 7 in the search box.

BTW they also have Win 10 licenses cheap too.

Your Welcome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How does this sound:  Prices for license key only. Note that any 32 bit iso of home or pro can load any version of 32 bit, its all based on the license key as to which version installs. The same goes for 64 - one DVD or USB can load any version.

Kinguin.net - its overseas but I have been a happy customer. Just put Win 7 in the search box.

Your Welcome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your Welcome.

Is this legit?!?!?!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I did the free upgrade and am sorry I did.

The new browser SUKZ!, 100%  Why can't I control the width of (minimize) my favorites bar when I open it?

Everything I use in the start menu, is now hidden from me.

I used to play Hearts and Internet Spades.  Both are gone.

I hate the way menu items disappear.  As you as you point and try to click, it moves and you click something other than what you intended.

How do I say this,... I lost a lot and gained nothing.  

If I wanted an Apple computer, I'd have bought an Apple.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is all too true.  It isn't even funny so much as it is sad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
One more thing.  even before the upgrade I'd been having trouble with video artifacts.

Since the upgrade it has gotten worse, much worse.  So much worse that I can barely read this message as I type it.  I don't understand why the OS would fuck up my video display but it has,.. BIG TIME!
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Where is the "Run" window for Windows 10?  I want to run MSCONFIG.EXE to change what gets loaded during boot up.

ETA -

Where is the internet "Tools" menu.  I'm having trouble logging on for banking and other secure sites.  

For that matter, where is the HELP function?  <F1> no longer works.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Where is the "Run" window for Windows 10?  I want to run MSCONFIG.EXE to change what gets loaded during boot up.
ETA -
Where is the internet "Tools" menu.  I'm having trouble logging on for banking and other secure sites.  
For that matter, where is the HELP function?  <F1> no longer works.
View Quote

First part...there are several ways to do this. Here are a couple.

Press the Windows key. Start typing...M...S...C...O...N...F...I...G. When you see "System Configuration" highlighted under Best Match press Enter.

Press Windows Key + R. Type msconfig. Press enter.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I did the free upgrade and am sorry I did.

The new browser SUKZ!, 100%  Why can't I control the width of (minimize) my favorites bar when I open it?

Everything I use in the start menu, is now hidden from me.

I used to play Hearts and Internet Spades.  Both are gone.

I hate the way menu items disappear.  As you as you point and try to click, it moves and you click something other than what you intended.

How do I say this,... I lost a lot and gained nothing.  
If I wanted an Apple computer, I'd have bought an Apple.

View Quote

Nothing is forcing you to use Edge. Internet Explorer is still part of Windows 10. Use it if that's what you're comfortable with. You can also install Chrome or any other browser you may have used before.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is this legit?!?!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your Welcome.

Is this legit?!?!?!

I can't say 100%. I have never bought a Windows license from them. I have bought Doom, and several of the Call of Duty from them and those have been flawless. Usually plug the key in Steam and the install starts.

I'd buy one now as a test if I wasn't out of spare HDD's and didn't still have 2 W7pro and 3 W7HP sealed DVD's sitting here. I blew the next 2 months budget on Prime Day.  Also I have enough PC's all ready running on my ranch to heat the place.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can't say 100%. I have never bought a Windows license from them. I have bought Doom, and several of the Call of Duty from them and those have been flawless. Usually plug the key in Steam and the install starts.

I'd buy one now as a test if I wasn't out of spare HDD's and didn't still have 2 W7pro and 3 W7HP sealed DVD's sitting here. I blew the next 2 months budget on Prime Day.  Also I have enough PC's all ready running on my ranch to heat the place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your Welcome.

Is this legit?!?!?!

Of course they aren't legit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks to all for the help.

I am finding my way around, including finding "Run" and MSCONFIG.  I am RIGHT clicking the Windows the icon on the lower left - lots of good stuff there.

Still, there are many mysteries.

Where is the HELP function?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:45:20 AM EDT
[#21]
no only no but motherfuck no. I begrudgingly gave up XP because they forced me to. They can pry the last decent operating system from my cold dead hands. Tablet interface for retards is not what I want.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
no only no but motherfuck no. I begrudgingly gave up XP because they forced me to. They can pry the last decent operating system from my cold dead hands. Tablet interface for retards is not what I want.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

They fixed that in 8.1.  Windows 10 is really 8.2.  It's not that different from 7, and it runs faster and is more secure than 7, 8, or 8.1.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Not only am I running it on all my personal machines, but I'm also running it in several of my VMware VMs and as of Saturday morning I finished up upgrading 90% of the computers at work.

The only issues I've run in to so far are...

-On my main rig at home when I shut it down it hangs somewhere right before the power would cut off.  This happens maybe 3 out of 10 times, is the only time I've ever seen it, and it's really not that big of a problem.  Just have to perform a hard shutdown sometimes.  I need to reinstall anyway because I was one of the Samsung 840 EVO buyers, so my SSD speed degrades over time and none of the "fixes" they offered lasted more than a month.

-At work, if the machine is on the domain during upgrade it won't activate the W10 license after upgrade.  I have to gpupdate, drop it off the domain, reboot, and by the time I log in to our LAPS'd local admin account it's activated, then rejoin domain and reboot again.  It was a nuisance at first but after a couple hundred upgrades it became habit.  I'm pretty sure this is some random and probably seemingly unrelated GP or WSUS setting that is causing this to not work but I haven't bothered to look in to it.

My only complaint so far is how much control over non-enterprise versions M$ is taking from us sysadmins.  Not long ago they took away our ability to policy away the M$ store and said if we want to debloat W10 we need enterprise.  They also introduced the nagware update notifications to domain-joined machines.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Click yes, waited, waited some more, waited some more, rebooted, now using Win10 easy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#26]
does it keylog/spyware me?  an honest question because i've read it both ways.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I put the tech preview of Win10 on my backup computer that has XP still on it.  Although I liked Win10, I did not do the upgrade on my main computer.  I'm concerned that some of the programs I use will not work.  Normally when I build a new computer I use anything that can be re-used from my current backup computer (usually just the case, peripherals, maybe power supply) and my current main computer becomes the new backup. I will install Win10 when I build a new computer, but that probably won't happen until next year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

One more thing.  even before the upgrade I'd been having trouble with video artifacts.

Since the upgrade it has gotten worse, much worse.  So much worse that I can barely read this message as I type it.  I don't understand why the OS would fuck up my video display but it has,.. BIG TIME!
View Quote

New OS?

How about some new drivers for your video???

Win 10 is available for $25. However it's the OEM, meaning it's tied to one system (also not for upgrades...needs a clean install). I bought 8.1 for $80 (retail), and upgraded for free to 10. My next system build/massive upgrade I won't have to worry about an OS. Win 10 is supposedly the last OS by Microsoft and will continue to be updated as tech grows.

You win 7 guys will eventually be forced to win 10 when your hardware and software are no longer compatible or supported.

So far, I've had great results with win 10

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
does it keylog/spyware me?  an honest question because i've read it both ways.
View Quote

No more than Google does.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Yep x4, 3 clean installs.

Just set up my main home computer to dual boot 7 and 10 on Friday so I can take my time setting up 10 the way I like it.

No problems with any.  No Microsoft account created or used on any either.

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

New OS?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New OS?

That or a new card. Most of the time when you have artifacts, is when your card is going bad.

Not a windows 10 issue.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
That or a new card. Most of the time when you have artifacts, is when your card is going bad.

Not a windows 10 issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New OS?

Not a windows 10 issue.

Win 10 really brought out the "blame windows for everything" crowd this go around.

When we all know it was bush's fault

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Win 10 really brought out the "blame windows for everything" crowd this go around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New OS?

Not a windows 10 issue.

No kidding. I prefer 7, but 10 has been good so far. Have been using it for almost a year now.

Maybe Hitlery's fault., but not Bush.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#34]
I fo'ed. It does seem to run a little faster than Win 7 , but I imaged the hard drives anyhow before the Upgrayedd, just in case. I don't care for the start menu much, but I deleted a lot of the junk they had built in to it, so it's a little better.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#35]
The video artifacts got significantly worse after W10 install.  That is fact.

I have the latest drivers for my video card and I even tried the newer beta drivers to no avail.

You guys sure are full of yourselves diagnosing my video hardware and software problems without ever seeing it or being here to have seen what happened.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 12:49:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have the latest drivers for my video card and I even tried the newer beta drivers to no avail.

You guys sure are full of yourselves diagnosing my video hardware and software problems without ever seeing it or being here to have seen what happened.
View Quote

It's not the OS
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's not the OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not the OS

This. OS's don't cause artifacts.

EDIT: Google computer artifacting. 99% of the time it will be video related.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Artifacting is not the OS, this is fact. The source is bad NVRAM blocks or GPU overheating, also fact.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:58:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on my motherfucking MacBook. It's a 2008 model, and short of the special keyboard commands (volume and brightness), it runs better than OS X El Capitan. Boot times are faster, program starts are faster, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top