Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2016 8:07:42 PM EDT
EDITED - Used the HP System Restore Partition to reload Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit on her system.

Seems much better, but I'm trying to get Windows Update to actually download and update, which it seems reluctant to do.

It has been running for over and hour and still just keeps sitting there with it' green band moving slowly left to right but never announcing updates or installing them.

I've set the system to announce updates and I'll install them myself when the time is available.

Any Ideas on how to move Windows Update along so I can install Service Pack 1 to allow for update to Windows 10?

Hey All,

My daughter messed up her computer with a L-O-T of Malware.

Advanced System Protector
Randon Deal App
My PC Back Up
Mega Browser
Optimizer Pro

I've used Microsoft and Malware Bytes to clear the junk off (which seems to be successful)

Where I have my problem is that even though She and I (newly created) are "Administrators" we can't make changes to allow Windows Updates we get an error message (i  Some settings are managed by your system administrator. More information)   There is no "System Administrator" so I'm guessing that the Malware took over and locked everyone else out...  

When I go to Change settings to turn important updates from "Never check for updates" to allow for updating, it is grayed out and not available to anyone.

Any ideas or help is GREATLY appreciated!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
wipe and reload.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well.. You can reset the admin password with this http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ and spend some quality time in Safe Mode removing malware.

Use this to fix the local security policy/registry settings for Windows Update. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/328010
Or nuke it and reload.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

wipe and reload.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wipe and reload.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
quit messing with that crap and reinstall

Make sure you got the activation key first, if not on a label of the computer find something called Magic Jelly Bean and recover it

Who cares if MJB is malware since you'll be wiping out the entire system

To make the installation go easier if using Firefox synch up the bookmarks and saved passwords with Firefox Synch

Take screenshots of the Installed Programs under control panel

Find the manfucturer's support website and have machine specific device drivers bookmarked

Do a system image backup right after installing and doing Windows Updates
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like it might of messed with the group policy. Type "gpedit.msc" in the search/run bar. Under Computer Configuration go to Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update. You should see the options on the right side. I would say you're better off just doing a complete wipe and reinstalling windows though, who knows what else was messed with. Make sure to backup any important files first.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wipe and reload.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like it might of messed with the group policy. Type "gpedit.msc" in the search/run bar. Under Computer Configuration go to Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update. You should see the options on the right side. I would say you're better off just doing a complete wipe and reinstalling windows though, who knows what else was messed with. Make sure to backup any important files first.
View Quote

I'm looking under gpedit.msc and response is no items match your search...

So if I need to Nuke It From Orbit (Just to Be Sure)...

What are the steps needed to do so.   I made a set of HP Recovery Discs on DVD.  I made a Windows 7 system disc.

So How do I go about setting up the Big Format and reload?

Sorry to be a Noob, but better to ask the experts than be sorry I wiped out something really needed first.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What are the steps needed to do so.   I made a set of HP Recovery Discs on DVD.  I made a Windows 7 system disc.

Sorry to be a Noob, but better to ask the experts than be sorry I wiped out something really needed first.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Recover your Windows key (if it's not on a sticker on the case).

Make sure you have necessary software license keys for any other software installed on the system, make sure you list everything that was installed that you'll need to reinstall.

Copy all user data to external storage (there's a Windows tool for exporting user data for upgrading systems, the Windows Easy Transfer tool)

See if HP has a set of install media available for the system (they sometimes cheat and have a hidden system partition to recover from, which does you no good if the hard drive craps out).

Reinstall from media, reformatting the drive(s).

Reload applications.

Restore user data.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Wolf!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
O.K. My life sucks right now...

I went to put in the Windows 7 repair disk, and when I preview it, I see the bootmgr is RoyalCoupon which is Ad / malware...

So I don't have a valid Windows 7 repair disk that does't have malware on it... AWESOME!!!

So WHAT disc do I need to format and start over?   I thought I was supposed to use the Windows 7 disc to enable me to reformat, but if the Windows 7 repair disc has malware on it...    

Any and All Help is GREATLY appreciated!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
You can download the Windows install disk image from Microsoft and burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB drive from it.  Downloaded directly from Microsoft, you won't have any malware on it, and you should then be able to use that for your repairs.  I believe that you will need your Windows 7 product serial # for the download.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank You Mike!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well.. You can reset the admin password with this http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ and spend some quality time in Safe Mode removing malware.

Use this to fix the local security policy/registry settings for Windows Update. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/328010

Or nuke it and reload.

View Quote

This is the answer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I already nuked it and reloaded.  I now have the ability to request Windows Update to look for updates (We were locked out previously)

HOWEVER, the Windows Update just keeps churning and running without showing required or suggested updates (about an hour so far)...

Anything I should know to kick start updates to get Service Pack 1 loaded?   I think I'm going to upgrade to 10 for her, but 10 upgrade requires Service Pack 1 so I'm stuck until I can get Windows Update to move forward.

Any and All Ideas Appreciated!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.askwoody.com/2016/best-way-to-get-windows-7-updated/comment-page-1/#comments

I suggest you install the latest Win7 Update speedup patch

http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-07.htm
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank You each and All for your help!

ARFCOM is AWESOME!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top