Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2016 10:31:48 PM EDT
My DSL is getting upgraded to 1G next week. I get 100M for internet, but the TV service will use the remaining 900M, and I have the option to upgrade to 1G down. I'm in the market for a router with 1G of throughput. I'm considering the Ubiquiti Edgerouter stuff. The Edgerouter Lite is a mere $100 and blazes along at 1Mpacket/sec...

Reviews on Amazon et al are great, but arfcom hivemind opinions are always weighted a bit higher
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Should work fine for what you're wanting to do.

I'm assuming you're getting converted to GPON?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an Edgerouter Lite that's been rock solid for the past 6 months. I only have 25/25Mbps fiber so I can't really say how it handles 1Gbps.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, gent's. It's TDS Telecom "Fiberville" service.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Check to see if anyone on UBNT's forum has the same ISP as you, else I've been happy with my ERL on Comcast cable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Zero complaints with mine. Use it with cable though, know some folks have to be a lot smarter than me for some of the fiber offerings to make them work without buying the provider router.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Splurged on an ER-8. I probably could have saved $100 on the 5 port unit, but who can resist 2M packets/sec

MTF when I get it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
UBNT is good to go.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me know how it goes, I'm in the same boat.

Just upgraded to CL 1 Gig, and finding a router capable of 1 Gb throughput with PPPoE is a bitch.

Contemplated the edge router, Microtik, and PFSense.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let me know how it goes, I'm in the same boat.

Just upgraded to CL 1 Gig, and finding a router capable of 1 Gb throughput with PPPoE is a bitch.

Contemplated the edge router, Microtik, and PFSense.
View Quote

Mikrotik is my router of choice (UBNT for radios).

I've talked with a lot of guys in the WISP industry. Most of them are running Mikrotik for routers.

OP check out the Mikrotik RB2011UiAS2HnD-IN if you are not looking for AC but need wireless. $130. If just the router, the RB2011UiAS-IN is available for $120. I've got mine setup as a caching Port 80 proxy as well. For every 1 GB that is delivered from my ISP the router delivers roughly 1.1 GB to the end users.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't need the wireless, I've already got two good WAPs setup to cover the house. The ER-8 (overkill) is arriving Thursday.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
BLUF: very happy with my ER-8! but not for mere mortals, at least not without some study...

The ER-8 showed up today. Late this afternoon I finally pulled the plug on the venerable and trusty Netgear Prosafe. It took me about an hour and a couple of reset/reboots, but I got the ER-8 firmware updated, ran the wizard and decoded the UI, which got me as far as straight shot LAN with appropriate DHCP settings. Then I spent about 2 hours on the phone with my contract IT staff to figure out the point-to-point VPN between the ER-8 and the Sonicwall at HQ. The answer there was to add the phase 1 and phase 2 timeouts via CLI, so the UI is a bit lacking in that area. Then about 10 minutes with the UI to put in my firewall pinholes. Then about 5 minutes to research and use CLI to change the HTTPS port assignment. Then another 10 minutes to research and use the UI to allow WAN side UI and SSH access for maintenance. And then another 15 minutes to adjust DHCP DNS settings appropriately for use with the VPN. Finally it took me another 5 minutes to get my IPTV service running using a recipe I found on the UBNT forum, which only required a little CLI. Call it 3 hours overall, with some testing, to get a fairly complex home network with VPN and IPTV all working.

Performance is stellar. The dslreports.com speed test site gives it an "A" across the board, including the very challenging bufferbloat test. It is FAST. It almost makes me want to pay for the TDS 1Gb/s service...almost

All I have left to do is to add my private PPTP client VPN portal, which maybe I'll tackle over the weekend.

ETA looks like IPTV is consuming about 8Mb/s per stream.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Yes, I know, now I have to get a rack...
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7413/26822517333_4b9cb1569d_b.jpg

View Quote

I've seen some nice 6-8 RU wall mount brackets for about $30. Deep enough for routers and switches...not for other equipment.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've seen some nice 6-8 RU wall mount brackets for about $30. Deep enough for routers and switches...not for other equipment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a rack shelf for the QNAP is cheap too.  

Looks good, I can't justify upgrading beyond my 50 Mb service for what I do online.  We're upgrading to dual 1 Gb Internet links at work over our current 500 Mb links at work right now.  Crazy that people can get that at home.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks good, I can't justify upgrading beyond my 50 Mb service for what I do online.  We're upgrading to dual 1 Gb Internet links at work over our current 500 Mb links at work right now.  Crazy that people can get that at home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fastest I can currently get is about 15 down at home.

A client recently contacted my partner to tell him that the local phone company offered them stupid cheap 2 Gbps fiber. We countered by saying we'd pay for it as long as we could resale it but would provide the client internet at no cost (seeing as we already have two backhauls and a sector array on the client's tower. The sad part, we have the same ISP…our 100 Mbps connection costs only $50 less than this deal the ISP cut them and it is physically cheaper for us to purchase an additional two 100 Mbps circuits and load balance them all versus pay for the ISP to bring fiber into our DC's building.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
All still good this morning Sometimes I think I should have only spent $100 on an Edgerouter Lite instead of splurging on the ER-8.

I have decided to try to implement an L2TP VPN server in parallel with my existing IPSec point to point link, but have no idea how to do it I can follow the various on-line recipes for the L2TP alone, but I know that'll kill my P-to-P link.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All still good this morning Sometimes I think I should have only spent $100 on an Edgerouter Lite instead of splurging on the ER-8.

I have decided to try to implement an L2TP VPN server in parallel with my existing IPSec point to point link, but have no idea how to do it I can follow the various on-line recipes for the L2TP alone, but I know that'll kill my P-to-P link.
View Quote

Does it support OpenVPN?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Does it support OpenVPN?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it support OpenVPN?

It does.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#20]
After a little study, I've got the L2TP VPN server up and running. I only ran into one minor misunderstanding with a single setting. It runs fine in parallel with my point-to-point VPN to my work HQ. In fact, with appropriate settings of the L2TP DHCP address pool, I can VPN in from the laptop and see both my house and also work HQ. It's just a little fussy with respect to authentication into the work server. I can manually log into it, but I'm working on making that automatic.

I'm really loving this thing! But you do have to lean CLI and really understand network shit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
After a little study, I've got the L2TP VPN server up and running. I only ran into one minor misunderstanding with a single setting. It runs fine in parallel with my point-to-point VPN to my work HQ. In fact, with appropriate settings of the L2TP DHCP address pool, I can VPN in from the laptop and see both my house and also work HQ. It's just a little fussy with respect to authentication into the work server. I can manually log into it, but I'm working on making that automatic.

I'm really loving this thing! But you do have to lean CLI and really understand network shit.
View Quote

Are you getting full 1GB throughput over your WAN link with PPPoE & NAT?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Can't say, because right now I am only paying for 100 down, 40 up. But it is as smooth and fast as I have ever seen. DHCP is lightning quick. Testing shows zero bufferbloat as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got some VPN stat's for you.

Configuration: IPSec VPN using SHA1, client PC and ER-8 here with 100/40 service, Windows server and Sonicwall at the other end with 50/15 service. In the "good" direction, i.e. with 100 up at my end and 50 down at the server end, I'm seeing about 1.7 megabytes/sec transfer rates as reported by Windows just moving files from client to server.

There's a lot of moving parts in that result, of course. I'd guess the routers are not the limiting factors, though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#24]
What's your background with tech things?   These are not dead-simple to setup.   They can move a shit-ton of traffic for such an inexpensive device, but they don't have much in the way of setup wizards and the GUI is not the most intuative in the world either.

I'm not saying don't get one, but know that it may take some research and a bit of time to get setup how you want it beyond just NATing everything through the box.

LOL, didn't read.   Clearly your doing fine.

I was using a ER-Lite POE model and it was really good at throughput but the VPN was not really blowing my skirt up.   I have 300/20 service and it would rock those numbers without breaking a sweat but the VPN performance was not there for some reason.   Then after a recent code upgrade it flaked out on both L2TP and my S-to-S IPSec tunnel.   Got tired of fiddling and went back to my damned power hungry Cisco ASA 5550 that I was about to sell.  It's also got 1Gpbs + performance but of course it's price-tag was higher and it burns ~100 watts just sitting there.  It's the price for nerd-ism though.   I've seen my throughput on L2TP with the ASA hit 75Mbps from work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What's your background with tech things?   These are not dead-simple to setup.   They can move a shit-ton of traffic for such an inexpensive device, but they don't have much in the way of setup wizards and the GUI is not the most intuative in the world either.

I'm not saying don't get one, but know that it may take some research and a bit of time to get setup how you want it beyond just NATing everything through the box.

LOL, didn't read.   Clearly your doing fine.

I was using a ER-Lite POE model and it was really good at throughput but the VPN was not really blowing my skirt up.   I have 300/20 service and it would rock those numbers without breaking a sweat but the VPN performance was not there for some reason.   Then after a recent code upgrade it flaked out on both L2TP and my S-to-S IPSec tunnel.   Got tired of fiddling and went back to my damned power hungry Cisco ASA 5550 that I was about to sell.  It's also got 1Gpbs + performance but of course it's price-tag was higher and it burns ~100 watts just sitting there.  It's the price for nerd-ism though.   I've seen my throughput on L2TP with the ASA hit 75Mbps from work.
View Quote

I've actually seen quite a few Cisco guys jump over to Mikrotik. Especially with the new RB3011 router. Router OS reminds me a lot of IOS…

I haven't been brave enough to delve into Ubiquiti's routers. I use a lot of their IP radios, some cameras and a switch or two but to me Ubiquiti made their name with radios…Mikrotik made their with routers. Now it seems everyone is trying to become a one stop solution (which is all fine and dandy).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top