Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 12:07:08 AM EDT
I found a Kingston article about the difference between consumer and enterprise SSD drives a few days ago.

My reading of Table 1 says that a powered-down consumer drive will not start to loose / corrupt data in earlier than a year, and enterprise drives in no less than a few months.

OK  =  I just took a look at the Jedec 218b document referenced in the Kingston writeup. I believe those 3 and 12 month no-power numbers are the minimums they have to be tested to. (previous paragraph updated) Real World retention times can be longer, but not shorter. This brings an interesting question... Just how long can you keep an SSD powered down before you can no longer trust the data on it? I had always thought of SSD drives as having the same retention / archiving capability as spinning disks, but this is apparently not the case.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If I remember correctly, SSDs are much more temperature-sensitive. I don't think I'd use one in a critical environment w/o a good RAID configuration.

That said, I run them in all of my laptops and I'm getting read to upgrade my RHEL server to them. But nothing is uber critical and I do regular (automated) backups both locally and to off-site storage (CrashPlan). I also do periodic drive cloning. So I feel pretty confident in my ability to survive a dead drive.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
SSDs are also susceptible to having data corruption due to excessive write/rewrite cycles. One of the latest things is SSDs and Toughbooks, eliminates the need for the drive heater and gives a performance boost.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top