Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2016 10:06:13 AM EDT
No Netgear bashing, please...

I have a home office. It is connected very successfully to corporate HQ 24/7 using a Netgear SRXN3205 at the house to a Sonicwall at HQ. The subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.248 so that only my home office equipment on IP's 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.7 are seen by and can see HQ. Someday I'll switch to a Sonicwall at home, but it's been working great for years, don't fix it if it ain't broke, etc., etc.

I recently setup another VPN entry on the Netgear so that I can use a VPN client on my laptop while travelling to VPN into my home. This also works quite well.

What I'd like to get working is, when connecting with the VPN client to my home network, for the remote client laptop to be able to see HQ as well. With the way I've got it set up now, I can only see the house.

I suspect that what I need to do is have the remote client appear as say 192.168.1.7 on the home LAN. However I don't know how to do that.

I've attached the relevant Netgear VPN pages below, with some redaction for opsec. If you need any of the redacted info (I wouldn't think so) PM me, thanks.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
DHCP reservation for remote laptop would be my guess.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Any reason why you don't just have another VPN client setup to connect into the office directly from your laptop?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any reason why you don't just have another VPN client setup to connect into the office directly from your laptop?
View Quote

Hah! I never thought to try that! However it seems like it ought to be possible to just make a single connection, and since I'm lazy...
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hah! I never thought to try that! However it seems like it ought to be possible to just make a single connection, and since I'm lazy...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While convenient, chaining it all together usually complicates routing and not stepping on private IP ranges from my experience.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
SonicWALL has their own VPN client for connecting back into it... Works pretty well.

LINK
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SonicWALL has their own VPN client for connecting back into it... Works pretty well.

LINK
View Quote

Yes, I have that client and use it to connect to HQ all the time. I'm using the Shrewsoft client to connect to my Netgear home router.

I'd still like to get a single connection via the home router engineered.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
See my Ubiquiti Edgerouter thread. Got it all working on that new, shit-hot, ER-8 router.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top