Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2016 7:15:25 PM EDT
So I've been having this issue with my computer that started a few weeks ago. I'll be using it and randomly the entire thing will freeze on me. Any videos playing freeze where they are, all screens freeze, sound stops, mouse and keyboard become useless. I get NO error message or anything and have to hard reset my computer by holding the power button to turn it off.

I custom built my computer from parts in January and have had no issues until this started. I'm thinking it might be a temperature thing/problem with my water cooler. The freezing tends to happen when I'm running multiple programs/games but it also happens when only the internet is running with a youtube video playing. I have constant temps up and notice sometimes the CPU will get up to mid 60 degree's celcius while playing games.

I'm running Windows 10 with an AMD 9590 cooled by a corsair H55 liquid cooler and GTX 970. If this is a temperature issue I get absolutely no error message or anything.

Before I assume its a bad liquid cooler/heat issue and run out and buy a new cooler, is there any way to try and figure out why my computer keeps freezing?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking it might be a temperature thing/problem with my water cooler.
View Quote

A long time ago when the world was young, I built a 486 that had this problem. I put some heat-transfer grease on the back of my CPU and it fixed the problem.

I think you're on the right track (although I've never built a computer with a water cooler).
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A long time ago when the world was young, I built a 486 that had this problem. I put some heat-transfer grease on the back of my CPU and it fixed the problem.

I think you're on the right track (although I've never built a computer with a water cooler).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm thinking it might be a temperature thing/problem with my water cooler.

I applied thermal paste on the back of my CPU before I installed the liquid cooler. The H55 I have is a closed loop system, so I didn't have to do anything to it besides install it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
First of all, make sure your fans are running and your radiator isn't completely choked out with dust...cheap, easy.  After that...

Download something like HWMonitor from CPUID

You will be able to figure out if you're having a overheat problem with that application running.  Watch CPU and GPU temps...this could be your GPU going to shit too.

If you're not seeing any temp issues, I would get in to your computer and remove everything that's not necessary to post, run the computer like that until you confirm it still has the same issue.  If not, it's one of those auxiliary items.

At that point, MemTest, and start swapping out parts until you find the problem part.  

I've seen odd issues like this from just about everything...PSU, GPU, CPU, Memory, Motherboard...Just start hunting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably Windows 10 because I've been having lockup issues since I upgraded from Win7(Clean install). The problem starts with a single program not responding but when trying to do a ctrl+alt+del to get to task manger to kill the process everything else stops responding too requiring a reset.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably Windows 10 because I've been having lockup issues since I upgraded from Win7(Clean install). The problem starts with a single program not responding but when trying to do a ctrl+alt+del to get to task manger to kill the process everything else stops responding too requiring a reset.
View Quote

Maybe....but I've seen this way more times than not it's a hardware issue.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Either temp, or bad ram.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:51:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Update: I ended up completely dusting out the radiator of my cooler which was filthy. Even after that I was still getting idling temps spiking to 60 deg C.

I ended up buying a completely new cooler, an H115xi or something. Its a double 140mm fan radiator I top mounted. After installing the new water cooler my resting temps range from 2 deg C to 18 deg C.

And the freezing hasn't happened since.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice, thanks for following up.

I'm guessing maybe a pump failure?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice, thanks for following up.

I'm guessing maybe a pump failure?
View Quote

I think it was some sort of pump failure. I would feel the tubes for water flow and the one tube felt a lot better than the other so I'm not 100% sure.

The freezing hasnt happened since though so it was definitely some sort of a cooler/heat issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top