Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 10:19:54 PM EDT
Needless to say, my first thought was about keeping old-school telecom folks away from data cables.

I _suspect_ it is related to our CCTV recorder system, but I will have to completely unbundle a cable run to really figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
All the crimps look good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Dat crosstalk tho.

I used to work for a mom and pop phone system company.

They had customers that were still using 25 pair per terminal.
It was in an old library in Mass in a historic town (bet you can't guess which (being an firearms related site and all))

Dolphin crimps galore, 66 blocks everywhere.

Thank god I spend most of my time in layers 2 - 7 now otherwise I would go even more insane than I am now.

Jelly crimps are the devil,much more  so is icky pic.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I just found a semi-stripped, loose cable buried in the back of the cable organizer on the other side of the rack where I found this. I forsee a major cable re-org in my future.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh.  

I just pulled a wooden 66 block out of a site.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh.  

View Quote

Screw or solder connections?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh.  

Screw on one side, twist on the other.  Complete with hand written pair numbers.  Pretty sure in Alexander Graham Bell's handwriting.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
My SO has a new home in a nice part of the CA foothills and she asked me to get the home network done.  I was interested to see the distribution panel (all the homes were pre-wired with Cat6 and had a recessed distribution gang box and panel in the master closet) and thought this would be easy.

First off it was a BIG box and access door.  It's about 3 feet high and 2 feet wide.  And that's where my enthusiasm ended.  The cabling looked like they deliberately fucked it up and worked hard at making it look like it had been abused.

Torn outer jackets, spaghetti-like ball, nothing marked, unmarked Chinese patch panel, nothing punched down, etc.

I guess I should at least be happy the runs are in place.  I told her to call the builder but she didn't want to bother.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't be bothered to call the builder... Argh.

That panel sounds like the one in a small business I work at sometimes. Leviton, I think it is. The concept is nice, but the parts are hard to find locally. There's no excuse for the sloppy wiring though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Scotchloks for the mother fucking win!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:12:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah. "They'll argue and make excuses and take 3 weeks to get out here and then just blame the sub and say they don't warranty....."

She's right.  Besides, she knew I'd go through it all and do it right anyway.  I spend a lot of time there so it got done.

Quoted:
Can't be bothered to call the builder... Argh.

That panel sounds like the one in a small business I work at sometimes. Leviton, I think it is. The concept is nice, but the parts are hard to find locally. There's no excuse for the sloppy wiring though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My SO has a new home in a nice part of the CA foothills and she asked me to get the home network done.  I was interested to see the distribution panel (all the homes were pre-wired with Cat6 and had a recessed distribution gang box and panel in the master closet) and thought this would be easy.

First off it was a BIG box and access door.  It's about 3 feet high and 2 feet wide.  And that's where my enthusiasm ended.  The cabling looked like they deliberately fucked it up and worked hard at making it look like it had been abused.

Torn outer jackets, spaghetti-like ball, nothing marked, unmarked Chinese patch panel, nothing punched down, etc.

I guess I should at least be happy the runs are in place.  I told her to call the builder but she didn't want to bother.

View Quote

Test a few before you get too happy.  If the ends are that bad I bet they are kinked to shit in the middle.

I just finished wiring an entire building.  It made me glad I don't have to do that work anymore.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
y'all dont speak any english?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Nightmares of a mechanical switch office or two I have worked in.
Needs more tin solder
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Needs more tin solder
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Needs more tin solder

I thought it was cool.  It was in production when it was pulled due to a remodel.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you accidentally wander into a tech forum from Active Topics?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]

I would be found running away from that screaming.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not telephone related...but I was helping a buddy wire his house for ethernet and we found a 220 line in the attack, BARE WIRE just tucked in a box.  No tape or cap on the end of the wire, and it was hot!  At least it was in a junction box, but to this day I do not know why live 220 was run to his attack and not attached to anything.
View Quote

I found a light switch with a red light on it behind a wall in my house. Just hanging in the insulation in the wall cavity. I flipped it and my furnace shut off. Real head scratcher.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why, it worked just fine when it was pulled.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
At least they used scotch locks. I have found all six conductors just pigtailed together, buried in the insulation before or laying on top of a fluorescent light.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]
You called it.  Of the 5 rooms I wanted to make hot, 3 of the runs were terminated incorrectly.

One of them, I swear, looks like the guy just punched random colors.

Quoted:

Test a few before you get too happy.  If the ends are that bad I bet they are kinked to shit in the middle.

I just finished wiring an entire building.  It made me glad I don't have to do that work anymore.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You called it.  Of the 5 rooms I wanted to make hot, 3 of the runs were terminated incorrectly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But Duuude.... the colors LOOK sooo much better this way....

/shaggy

At least the wires were there to reterm.

/smallfavors
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#25]
brown white brown looks like it has lost a couple twists.....get in there!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Lock 'em down baby!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
There are days when a tone generator and probe are the most used things in your tool pouch.

Verizon/GTE used a lot of four pair house wire back in the day that was red/green, yellow/black, blue/white, and brown/orange.  Does anyone know why the industry chose brown/orange for that fourth pair?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Been doing it long enough to know, unfortunately.  

FWIW, on my latest wiring job I ran a total of 20 drops with a couple of other guys.  All tested perfect on the first shot.  I was afraid to walk out of the building, figured I would get struck by lightening.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Needless to say, my first thought was about keeping old-school telecom folks away from data cables.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag152/abarf/fbpic/742BA00A-A8FD-48F4-8ED3-15A8BD1BC591_zps9dzbwlfm.jpg

I _suspect_ it is related to our CCTV recorder system, but I will have to completely unbundle a cable run to really figure it out.
View Quote

I have some unused ones like that in one of my toolboxes. Wonder if all the goo has leaked out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#30]
No shit on that.... If I did 20 runs and didn't cross one pair or some other damned thing I'd be right over to the nearest liquor store emptying my checking on lottery tickets.

Quoted:

FWIW, on my latest wiring job I ran a total of 20 drops with a couple of other guys.  All tested perfect on the first shot.  I was afraid to walk out of the building, figured I would get struck by lightening.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top