Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2016 9:02:26 PM EDT
I realize this isn't exactly computer and network related, but I know my fellow geeks read this, and would be in the know.

I was looking at finally getting some rechargable batteries for remotes, game controllers, cameras, etc.  I remember a few years ago the "Eneloop" batteries were supposed to be the end-all be-all in rechargables.  Is that still the case or is there something fancy and new I should be looking at?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty much it, you can shop around and find Oem eneloop cells, but I just buy the branded ones from Costco/Amazon. I date them with a sharply and to date haven't had one go bad that I am aware of, probably like 5+ years on some of them
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I realize this isn't exactly computer and network related, but I know my fellow geeks read this, and would be in the know.

I was looking at finally getting some rechargable batteries for remotes, game controllers, cameras, etc.  I remember a few years ago the "Eneloop" batteries were supposed to be the end-all be-all in rechargables.  Is that still the case or is there something fancy and new I should be looking at?

Thanks.
View Quote

Nothing has changed.

Well Sanyo (the original manufacturer) got bought by panasonic.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's pretty much it, you can shop around and find Oem eneloop cells, but I just buy the branded ones from Costco/Amazon. I date them with a sharply and to date haven't had one go bad that I am aware of, probably like 5+ years on some of them
View Quote
I've been using eneloops at least that long and I have only had one go bad out of the well over 30 that I have in use.  The one that went bad was being used in a camera flash when it happened for what its worth.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
My first eneloop to go bad was in constant almost daily use with a charge every 5 days for about 6 years. I replaced it with a Amazon Basics battery which I believe is made by eneloop.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks you guys for the advice so far.  I've just spent the last two hours pouring over amazon reviews, and I am completely overwhelmed.  I feel like I'm trying to learn how to build an ar15 for the very first time, trying to figure out parts and brands and compatible this and that.  

Reviews speak highly of the (new made in Japan) amazon basics black AA and AAAs, but the white-wrapped ones  have a longer lifespan in exchange for shorter output duration.  The Panasonics get favorable reviews but are more expensive.  Then there is all the made in China garbage to have to wade through and filter out.  The Sanyos look good too.  A few bucks per pack of batteries isn't much, but then there's the C and D cell adapters, C and D cell double adapters, and now suddenly I need three times as many AA batteries as I had anticipated, unless I get C and D cell batteries specifically, but there are a hundred more AA/AAA chargers than there are AA/AAA/C/D chargers.  

The chargers.... Holy balls, the chargers.  Trickle, fast, pulse, LCD display, "intelligent," blank, Chinese fire hazards, >$100 units.... Man alive.

Then to complicate things I also need 9v and CR123 rechargeables, with the latter of course blowing out bulbs in LED flashlights every other review or so.

I had no idea buying batteries was going to be this complicated.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I just use the Chargers that come with the eneloop kits from Sanyo, one 4 position charger in my office/man cave and one in the kitchen and I just leave a set in each charger and rotate as necessary. I've never had any luck with 9volt rechargeables, but pretty much only use them in my paintball and they usually have either 7.2, 8.4 or 9.6 volts and do weird things. I just use the c/d adapters, I think I have like 2 things in my house that use that size.

Rechargeable cr123a I use I just got off eBay with a generic charger, and I only use them for screwing around with. No where near as trustworthy as eneloops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top