BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 2:26:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Dual Xeon E5 26XX V1 cpu Asrock Rack motherboards are in stock !!!

Cheaper one for $299.00 This one would be better for a workstation build as it has an extra Pci Express full length slot.

The one I bought is now down to $339.00 from $449.00 This one would be better for a server build as it has twice as many ram slots.
View Quote

I bought that board along with a USB 3.0 card and sound card and ram yesterday.  Chips are already on the way through ebay.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
DAmmit - I DO NOT need to be looking at things like this SuperMIcro board....
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
DAmmit - I DO NOT need to be looking at things like this SuperMIcro board....
View Quote

Well the used E5 26xx V3 and V4 ES and QS cpu's are hitting the market.

I'm thinking about this board next.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I bought that board along with a USB 3.0 card and sound card and ram yesterday.  Chips are already on the way through ebay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheaper one for $299.00 This one would be better for a workstation build as it has an extra Pci Express full length slot.

The one I bought is now down to $339.00 from $449.00 This one would be better for a server build as it has twice as many ram slots.

Which one board and CPU's ?

Mine has been solid, the $339.00 one, only issue is sometimes on reboot it cycles several times and I just turn the power supply switch off then on then its all good.

It's only happened about once a month and I treat it like a workstation and turn it on when I need too and off when i'm not using it.

I think its the IPMI acting up every now and then.

As a workstation and WOT/Kerbal game machine it works awesome!!

You can do a metric crapload of stuff at the same time, I've had Kerbal space program, World Of Tanks, watching Youtube video's, Firefox with a lot of tabs open, Virtual Box w 2 v/m's running, virus scanner, windows update and making backup dvd's all at the same time and never come close to stressing it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mine has been solid, the $339.00 one, only issue is sometimes on reboot it cycles several times and I just turn the power supply switch off then on then its all good.

It's only happened about once a month and I treat it like a workstation and turn it on when I need too and off when i'm not using it.

You can do a metric crapload of stuff at the same time, I've had Kerbal space program, World Of Tanks, watching Youtube video's, Firefox with a lot of tabs open, Virtual Box w 2 v/m's running, virus scanner, windows update and making backup dvd's all at the same time and never come close to stressing it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 299 board and the SR0KX chips.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Server or workstation or both?

What was the specs of your current setup?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:41:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be used for both.  Probably will run a bunch of VMs.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Parts arrived today.  Up and running, took about an hour to pull the old parts and put the new ones together, then had to troubleshoot drivers for the sound card (something creative did made it crash over and over, downloading new drivers off their horribly slow website fixed it), and it's up and screaming now.  Much faster than the 8 core AMD I was running before -- noisier too, but oh well.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Parts arrived today.  Up and running, took about an hour to pull the old parts and put the new ones together, then had to troubleshoot drivers for the sound card (something creative did made it crash over and over, downloading new drivers off their horribly slow website fixed it), and it's up and screaming now.  Much faster than the 8 core AMD I was running before -- noisier too, but oh well.  
View Quote

Mine is pretty quiet, much quieter than the FX8320 and Enermax 120x cpu cooler, I'm using Cooler master 212 Evo's for the cpu's.

What cpu coolers are you using?

The fan speeds can be changed in the Bios and the Cpu fans can be set to "smart" to speed up when the cpu's run hotter.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine is pretty quiet, much quieter than the FX8320 and Enermax 120x cpu cooler, I'm using Cooler master 212 Evo's for the cpu's.

The fan speeds can be changed in the Bios and the Cpu fans can be set to "smart" to speed up when the cpu's run hotter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I need to tweak the fan speeds most likely.  I didn't go all out and spend a lot on the coolers, they're coolermaster Hyper T-4s.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are even cheaper now!!

The cheaper one is $279.00 and the one I bought is now $289.00
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, I've been wanting to get QUBES installed on a system that can handle it...  this would be good.

About qubes:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcwngbUrZNg
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Man, I've been wanting to get QUBES installed on a system that can handle it...  this would be good.

About qubes:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcwngbUrZNg
View Quote

Dual Xeon E5 2670's is more than enough to handle that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered 5 2tb HGST hard drives on sale, will order 5 more soon.

10 2 tb 7200 rpm mechanical drives plus a couple of ssd's , gonna have to get a little creative in mounting them all in my case.

The motherboard can handle 14 drives, the case......not quite as many.

I'm thinking removing the DVD drive and installing a 4 in 3 cage.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#15]
btw... If you run into issues running games, it appears the Dunia engine and the Deux Ex series won't run unless you disable 16 cores.  

Silliest thing I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I have only ran Kerbal Space Program or World Of Tanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I'm testing my used HGST 2TB hard drives I bought from NewEgg for $29.95 each.

Three show in smart status %100 health and between 18,000 and 27,000 hours.
One shows %98 health and 27,100 hours. I bad sector
One shows %47 health and 19,000 hours and 39 bad sectors.

They are rated for 2,000,000 hours.

Im running bad-block test in linux on the two drives that are not %100 first mainly to learn more hard drive utility programs and will probably return them to newegg anyway.

%54 and %48 done after almost 14 hours, no errors yet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have only ran Kerbal Space Program or World Of Tanks.
View Quote

Kerbal runs great, cmano runs great, skyrim runs great, It's just Dunia engine (Far cry series) and the Deus Ex engine and the Source engine (Halflife/counterstrike series), but not all the source engine ones have trouble as I got TF2 to run.

Either way, disable 16 cores and the rest of them run just like normal, there's just some scheduling issue that the code can't handle when has too many cores to deal with, which is really an absurd commentary on the state of the code in those engines.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well I'm testing my used HGST 2TB hard drives I bought from NewEgg for $29.95 each.

Three show in smart status %100 health and between 18,000 and 27,000 hours.
One shows %98 health and 27,100 hours. I bad sector
One shows %47 health and 19,000 hours and 39 bad sectors.

They are rated for 2,000,000 hours.

Im running bad-block test in linux on the two drives that are not %100 first mainly to learn more hard drive utility programs and will probably return them to newegg anyway.

%54 and %48 done after almost 14 hours, no errors yet.
View Quote

Bad-blocks in Linux was taking freaking forever.

Removed the two hard drives that I was testing and moved them to another pc that has windows 7 and Hard Drive Sentinal Pro and Kali Linux so I can test without tying up my main pc.

The two drives that have issues, the one with 1 bad sector and %98 health went to 4 bad sectors and %95 health.
the other one that had 39 bad sectors and %47 health went to 45 bad sectors and %40 health.

For now it will be my dedicated hard drive testing machine.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Still testing hard drives, on the last one.

I think i'b going to keep the two that have issues, the worst one i'll put in my youngest daughters gaming pc as a D: drive for storage since she will only put misc junk on it so she wont fill up her SSD C: drive.

The one that %95 i'm going to put in my middle daughters new pc build as a D: drive also, haven't decided on the build yet.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Fixing to reinstall windows 10, found a possible fix for the Windows 10 random hard lockup issue I had.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Reinstalled windows 10 after relocating the samsung 850 evo from behind the motherboard, ran too warm for my taste, to the hard drive cage in the front of the case along with 4 Hitachi 2 tb enterprise drives.

Set up the 4 2tb drives in raid 0 as a d: drive in windows to see how they do performance wise and the 500 gb SSD as the windows os drive.

So far so good, just reinstalling all my programs and files.

Edit: The four 2 tb drives in raid 0 are very speedy!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Well Windows  10 just does not like this setup

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Works like a champ for me.  What problems are you having?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Random HARD lockups.. with zero  info in the logs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had that initially, I was using a windows 10 install that had been built on an AMD board and processor.  I reloaded a new install from scratch and it fixed it.  

I suspect there was something in there w/ motherboard or chipset drivers that it just couldn't get around.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I had that initially, I was using a windows 10 install that had been built on an AMD board and processor.  I reloaded a new install from scratch and it fixed it.  

I suspect there was something in there w/ motherboard or chipset drivers that it just couldn't get around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windows did an update and it has not locked up since. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird... hopefully it stays that way.

BTW, I turned all update services off and do my updates manually.  The one thing that pisses me off more than anything is the "fuck you I'm rebooting now to update" that Windows 10 has built in.  I'll do my updates and I'll reboot when I want to.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#29]
It was going so well that I installed MS office 2010 and it installed fine then did a crapton of office updates and rebooted and it hosed itself.

Blue screened and gave me several options to repair but nothing worked and after that it would not even boot at all.

So I reinstalled Windows server 2016 Dataserver and i'm configuring it as I type this.

At least its been activated with Windows 10 so I guess I'll try it again after the next major update.

EDIT: Its a totally different experience on Win 2016 Server. Smooth and polished everything just works

Too bad it will time out in a few months but maybe by then Windows 10 will work on it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Still running with zero issues since I'm no longer running Windows 10.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too bad you were having issues w/ 10 -- I've been running for a while with no problems on 10 now.

Just ordered my GTX-1080 yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Too bad you were having issues w/ 10 -- I've been running for a while with no problems on 10 now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still undecided on my next video card.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably going with a couple of AMD RX 480's, they apparently will allow passthrough for a VM easier than Nvidia cards.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I love my 1080...
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love my 1080...
View Quote

Now I'm leaning toward a GTX 1070 now.

I might just stay with a multi boot setup instead of a VM with video card pass-through.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Just bought two RX480's to replace my single GTX 970.

From XFX, they have white LED's to match my case lights.

Will reinstall the o.s.'s in the am.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Installed both cards, no display.

Remove either and have display.

Tinkering with it now....
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I mysteriously have a display now with both cards.

Downloading latest drivers now.

Edit: It only works when the DVI connector from the monitor is connected on the lower card, the motherboard manual says to use the lower slot "for better performance" I did try them both earlier but neither worked until it just started working earlier.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Crossfire works!!!

Downloading WOT to see how it plays, with the GTX 970 at 1440 it showed anywhere from ~65 to ~120 FPS with just about everything maxed out.

AMD driver works but the AMD settings program crashes.

Now its shows an updated version, downloading it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#40]
The update fixed the AMD program from crashing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad you got it working -- crossfire/sli are always a pain.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its VERY iffy , some things work others not so good.

I am not too impressed so far does not seem to be an upgrade over the GTX970 so far, in games its about the same.

WOT and KSP run about the same.

I was going to get a single GTX 1070 but they were out and they had two of these for a little more and since I had been going back and forth between the GTX 1070 and a pair of RX480's I bought tthe 480's.

Will need to tweek the settings some more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I am not too impressed so far does not seem to be an upgrade over the GTX970 so far, in games its about the same.

I was going to get a single GTX 1070 but they were out and they had two of these for a little more and since I had been going back and forth between the GTX 1070 and a pair of RX480's I bought tthe 480's.

View Quote

The 1080 is pretty amazing.  4k at 60hz and all settings maxed in far cry is very nice to play.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The 1080 is pretty amazing.  4k at 60hz and all settings maxed in far cry is very nice to play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was sooooo tempted to get a 1080 but I just cant spend that kind of cash on a video card.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Starting to come together, lots stuff to configure with crossfire.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I was sooooo tempted to get a 1080 but I just cant spend that kind of cash on a video card.
View Quote

It is a lot.  I got mine for about 620.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Running Set@home all day to stress the GPU's, If I do that all winter I don't think i'll need to run my heater at all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Running Set@home all day to stress the GPU's, If I do that all winter I don't think i'll need to run my heater at all.
View Quote

That's why I went w/ Nvidia.  I had two 7980s in one machine for a while -- that thing would literally heat the whole house.  The 1080 I have now just barely gets warm.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's why I went w/ Nvidia.  I had two 7980s in one machine for a while -- that thing would literally heat the whole house.  The 1080 I have now just barely gets warm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My GTX 970 ran a littler hotter than one RX480 but since I have two 480's its a "little" warmer overall.

I plan on installing Windows 10 on a spare SSD to see if the change in video cards fixes the locking up issue I had with Win 10.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#50]
So today I go to transfer a few hundred gigs of files from my portable drive to my archive drive that hangs off a USB3 card on my Windows 10 workstation.

I start the copy and it says it's going to take almost TWO HOURS to copy ~300 gigs!  So I'm all like "Screw that. Windows 10 is NOT going to ruin MY life".  I've posted in Windows 10 threads so I know what micro$haft is up to.  

Before any of you snarky "professional IT" losers start telling me it's my fault, I've been into computers since I was two and my friend is a computer tech at his own business. I know what I'm doing. I built this computer myself and I have a platinum Newegg account.  That's the main reason I know the problem is windows.  So stick that in your ass before opening your mouth about the problem being me.

Anyway, so then I go to click the thing to eject my USB drives and all I get is some stupid *^%#ing error about the drives being in use.  

So now both my USB drives are stuck in my piece of crap Winblows 10 computer and I still can't copy those files.

I know this is all because Micro$uck is using my drives for adware and stealing my personal info.  So I say "fuck YOU 10!" and head over to Best Buy and buy two more drives.  Just because mine are stuck in the computer doesn't mean I can't improvise, overcome, and adapt.  

So here's the kicker:  I get home to conquer that piece of shit, and there's no more places to plug in my new drives at.  

Fuck you Microsoft and FUCK your shitty Windows 10.

I should have listened to those guys who said to load Linux.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top