Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So today I go to transfer a few hundred gigs of files from my portable drive to my archive drive that hangs off a USB3 card on my Windows 10 workstation.

I start the copy and it says it's going to take almost TWO HOURS to copy ~300 gigs!  So I'm all like "Screw that. Windows 10 is NOT going to ruin MY life".  I've posted in Windows 10 threads so I know what micro$haft is up to.  

Before any of you snarky "professional IT" losers start telling me it's my fault, I've been into computers since I was two and my friend is a computer tech at his own business. I know what I'm doing. I built this computer myself and I have a platinum Newegg account.  That's the main reason I know the problem is windows.  So stick that in your ass before opening your mouth about the problem being me.

Anyway, so then I go to click the thing to eject my USB drives and all I get is some stupid *^%#ing error about the drives being in use.  

So now both my USB drives are stuck in my piece of crap Winblows 10 computer and I still can't copy those files.

I know this is all because Micro$uck is using my drives for adware and stealing my personal info.  So I say "fuck YOU 10!" and head over to Best Buy and buy two more drives.  Just because mine are stuck in the computer doesn't mean I can't improvise, overcome, and adapt.  

So here's the kicker:  I get home to conquer that piece of shit, and there's no more places to plug in my new drives at.  

Fuck you Microsoft and FUCK your shitty Windows 10.

I should have listened to those guys who said to load Linux.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So today I go to transfer a few hundred gigs of files from my portable drive to my archive drive that hangs off a USB3 card on my Windows 10 workstation.

I start the copy and it says it's going to take almost TWO HOURS to copy ~300 gigs!  So I'm all like "Screw that. Windows 10 is NOT going to ruin MY life".  I've posted in Windows 10 threads so I know what micro$haft is up to.  

Before any of you snarky "professional IT" losers start telling me it's my fault, I've been into computers since I was two and my friend is a computer tech at his own business. I know what I'm doing. I built this computer myself and I have a platinum Newegg account.  That's the main reason I know the problem is windows.  So stick that in your ass before opening your mouth about the problem being me.

Anyway, so then I go to click the thing to eject my USB drives and all I get is some stupid *^%#ing error about the drives being in use.  

So now both my USB drives are stuck in my piece of crap Winblows 10 computer and I still can't copy those files.

I know this is all because Micro$uck is using my drives for adware and stealing my personal info.  So I say "fuck YOU 10!" and head over to Best Buy and buy two more drives.  Just because mine are stuck in the computer doesn't mean I can't improvise, overcome, and adapt.  

So here's the kicker:  I get home to conquer that piece of shit, and there's no more places to plug in my new drives at.  

View Quote

I have to say Windows 2016 Server is rock solid, everything just works.

With windows 10 sometimes I could stream music or video from a nas sometimes I could not and its very inconsistent also sometimes I could transfer files back and forth and sometimes it cant see the nas or sees it and errors out on connection.

Sometimes if I''m streaming a movie it just stops and errors out.

Not with Win server 2016, networking stuff is excellent and always works doing the same stuff that Windows 10 has issues with.

One of the main reasons I was leaning towards the Rx 480's is I want to play around with pci-e pass through for the video cards for a couple of vm's in vmware.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

With windows 10 sometimes I could stream music or video from a nas sometimes I could not and its very inconsistent also sometimes I could transfer files back and forth and sometimes it cant see the nas or sees it and errors out on connection.

Not with Win server 2016, networking stuff is excellent and always works doing the same stuff that Windows 10 has issues with.

One of the main reasons I was leaning towards the Rx 480's is I want to play around with pci-e pass through for the video cards for a couple of vm's in vmware.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at you, trying to shill for micro$shaft, go back to Redmond and drink your koolaid shill!!!!111one111penis1!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two issues, well three, one minor, one major and the third a pain.

The lower card, the one that runs the monitor is in a x8 slot.

Top video card runs VERY HOT, over 20c hotter than the bottom card, and that video card is throttling big time and that explains my small performance increase when crossfire is turned on.

So I need to move the lower video card down one slot for two reasons, first to give the upper card some breathing room and the bottom pci-e slot is a x16 slot.

But that covers up the pci slot where my sound card is.

So I need to order a pci-e sound card and mount it in the top most pci-e slot, and move the usb 3.0 card in the pci-e slot between the video cards since its a very small card and will only have a minor affect on airflow to the upper video card.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Look at you, trying to shill for micro$shaft, go back to Redmond and drink your koolaid shill!!!!111one111penis1!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HEY!!

I have been running Unix long before windows!!

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Top video card runs VERY HOT, over 20c hotter than the bottom card, and that video card is throttling big time and that explains my small performance increase when crossfire is turned on.

So I need to move the lower video card down one slot for two reasons, first to give the upper card some breathing room and the bottom pci-e slot is a x16 slot.

So I need to order a pci-e sound card and mount it in the top most pci-e slot, and move the usb 3.0 card in the pci-e slot between the video cards since its a very small card and will only have a minor affect on airflow to the upper video card.
View Quote

I can see why you'd want the card in a x16 slot, but other than that I think you just need to get more airflow into your case.  I cut out the side of my case and installed two 120mm fans to put air directly on the video cards (when I was running multiple AMD cards), and that helped a great deal.  I've got 2x 120mm fans in the front of mine blowing in (one blowing directly across the card cage, 2x120mm fans blowing directly on the PCI slots from the top of the slots,  and that has managed to keep mine cool even before I had my nvidia card.  Got to have output too of course, I've got a couple of thermostat controlled fans on the output, and I've also got a couple of open PCI slots to let air blow out around the card cage.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can see why you'd want the card in a x16 slot, but other than that I think you just need to get more airflow into your case.  I cut out the side of my case and installed two 120mm fans to put air directly on the video cards (when I was running multiple AMD cards), and that helped a great deal.  I've got 2x 120mm fans in the front of mine blowing in (one blowing directly across the card cage, 2x120mm fans blowing directly on the PCI slots from the top of the slots,  and that has managed to keep mine cool even before I had my nvidia card.  Got to have output too of course, I've got a couple of thermostat controlled fans on the output, and I've also got a couple of open PCI slots to let air blow out around the card cage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 200mm front , 200mm top and a 140mm out the back.

The bottom card maxs out at about ~75c and never throttles down and the top maxs out at 89c and throttles from 1266mhz to less than 600 and only has about 1/8 inch or less between the two cards.

The top card needs more room to take in the air.

Edit: also these video cards come with backing plates that add almost 1/4 inch thickness , I thought about taking the backing plate off the bottom card but I dont want to void the warranty.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The bottom card maxs out at about ~75c and never throttles down and the top maxs out at 89c and throttles from 1266mhz to less than 600 and only has about 1/8 inch or less between the two cards.

Edit: also these video cards come with backing plates that add almost 1/4 inch thickness , I thought about taking the backing plate off the bottom card but I dont want to void the warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, that's too close together.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Dont know what I did or if it was the windows update that just installed, but in WOT the frame rate is up about ~35 fps from where it was.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I refurbished a Dell T7500 with some parts from "dumpster diving" and just finished up a dual AMD 6380 build with 128GB of memory.

I had to go with a SuperMicro motherboard and Thermatake GT 10 case. Needed a few extra cable extensions to get it all to work, but, the performance with VirtualBox is very nice.

I created an 8 node hadoop cluster w/o any issues.

For desktop work, I prefer using something with better graphics and 2133 memory.

But the difference in using this vs. buying time on AWS or Azure is little more than a week and it pays for itself.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Started WOT and it was rocking at max settings ~115 FPS, but something did not seem right.

So I started to use two instances of GPU-Z to monitor both cards at the same time and now I don't think crossfire was working at all with WOT with  the better performance.

The improvement is because crossfire IS NOT working with WOT....

When I went back int AMD settings crossfire was not enabled, I enabled it and the performance went back to where it was................disappointing.

At the same setting when I have only one card running WOT I can get up to 115 FPS, then I make sure crossfire enabled it goes to 11 FPS.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:55:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Installing STEAM and GTA5 to test some more games with crossfire.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Played around with my sound card, ASUS Xonar DG, but in Windows 2016 Server the Asus driver installer errors outs with " Unsupported Operating System".

I can extract the drivers and use device manager to install the extracted driver but the Xonar DG Audio Center app cannot be installed with either the installer off the cd or the latest from ASUS's web site.

I had sound but no way to configure anything and no headphone amplifier because without the Audio Center program I could not turn it on, no mixer, no configuration of any kind.

It played ok but that's all , just ok.

So I was researching Asus PCI-e sound cards for Linux compatibility and found a modded Windows installer and driver so I downloaded it and installed it.

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Holy crap what a difference, the Audio Center app works now and now I can change all the sound card settings and it also includes a better driver.

Now my headphone amp works!!

Before it was ok and kind of bland, now it freaking rocks!!  

At %50 volume on the headphones it starts to be a little too loud and MUCH crisper and clearer.

The best sounding CHEAP, and maybe the best sound card I ever had.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Grabbed a better pair of head phones.

Boston, More Than A Feeling

I feel like I have 20 year old ears again !!!

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Grabbed a better pair of head phones.

Boston, More Than A Feeling

I feel like I have 20 year old ears again !!!
View Quote

Headphones make a huge difference.  I had a set of turtle beach that I really liked, but my son claimed them when he came to visit so I need to get a new pair.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Reinstalled Windows 10 last night since I want to try it out with a slightly newer setup, dual RX 480's, to see if that fixes the hard lockup problem I had before with Windows 10.

I am not saying how its going, everytime I did that and though the problem was fixed I jinxed myself.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Windows 10 still has not locked up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Well it seems the Windows 10 combo with this motherboard and my Gigabyte GTX 970 did not get along at all.

With the RX480's and Windows 10 combo seems to have fixed my hard lock up issue I had before with Windows 10.

I had the GTX 970 with Windows 10 running great on my older Asrock motherboard with a FX 8320 with zero issues so that's where that video card is back now, it replaces a GTX 960 and it's my youngest kids pc and I used the GTX 960 out of it to replace a GTX 650 that had replaced a GTX 260 + that had issues in my older Phenom 2 pc.

A GTX 960 matched up with an old Phenom 940 and 4 gigs of ram runs GTA 5 really nicely and is very playable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Updated the video driver to the latest one, that did not go well at all.

Now it wont even boot into Windows 10.

Thats it i'm done with windows 10 on this setup.

As well as Windows Server 2016 runs on this pc, Windows 10 is horrid mess in comparison.

Windows 2016 I had zero issues with drivers, they just worked, with Win 10 its hit or miss.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Windows 10 is gone but not forgotten.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Updated the video driver to the latest one, that did not go well at all.

Now it wont even boot into Windows 10.

Thats it i'm done with windows 10 on this setup.

As well as Windows Server 2016 runs on this pc, Windows 10 is horrid mess in comparison.

Windows 2016 I had zero issues with drivers, they just worked, with Win 10 its hit or miss.

View Quote

That's too bad -- mine has been rock solid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Going with Ubuntu 16.04 with a ZFS pool on four 2 TB hard drives.

Need to install KVM next and make some VM's
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#23]
KVM is working, installing my first VM.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's too bad -- mine has been rock solid.
View Quote

I gave it more energy and time than I should have.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Just ordered a PCI-e sound card so I can move my lower video card down one slot to the lowest x16 slot to get some airflow to the upper video card and have them both on x16 slots.

Will need to move the usb 3.0 card between them, its a very small card and should not affect the airflow to the upper card hardly at all.

Ordered a ASUS XONAR DSX 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Audio Card.

It supposed to have a bit higher sound quality than the Xonar DG pci card I have now.

I will probably put the Xonar DG card in my daughters game pc since she uses headphones exclusively and since it has a built in headphone amp she should like it more than the motherboard sound.

Oh and Ubuntu 16.04 is very nice, very polished and %100 solid!

EDIT: Also ordered a pair of led RGB strips from Phanteks to match the exterior lighting on her Eclipse P400 case.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#26]
This is the sound card I'm using now, needed a PCI-e card to free up the slot where the PCI sound card was.

Asus Xonar DSX PCI-e

Works perfectly in Ubuntu  16.04, all I had to do is run alsamixer and move the sliders up.

Speakers sound great.

The case headphone jack works correctly now, with the other sound card I would have to manually start alsamixer and change the output to the front headphone output from the rear speakers and now it switches by itself.

Highly recommended from me to use under Linux.

My experience with sound cards is kind of hit or miss with newer cards and I usually just use an older pci card, older creative soundblasters have great support but the newer ones don't, this is the first PCI-e car I have used under Linux and did a bit of research before I picked it.

Now that has let me move the bottom video card (running dual RX 480's) down one slot so I can have both video cards in a X16 slot and have more airflow to the upper card, it was getting hot and throttling because it was sitting right on top of the bottom video card and there was not nearly enough airflow.

Now I have plenty off airflow for both video cards.

Also the new sound card seems to sound a bit better than the sound card I just removed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn I remember the days where you could not run any other program at the same time as a cd/dvd burner program otherwise you stood a good chance to make a coaster, sure don't miss them.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like moving the lower video card one slot did the trick.

After running Seti@@home all night on windows 8.1 the upper card is running two degree's F  hotter than the lower one.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks like moving the lower video card one slot did the trick.

After running Seti@@home all night on windows 8.1 the upper card is running two degree's F  hotter than the lower one.

http://i.imgur.com/Giyp1L2.png
View Quote

Not bad.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Update:

I have redid my setup again and I hope I will settle on this for a while.

Drives:
One 500 gig Samsung  ssd as my Windows 8.1 os drive, Win 8.1 reallly likes this motherboard and have had zero issues with it.
One 240 gig IBM ssd with Ubuntu 16.04
One 240 gig IBM ssd unused for now
Two 1 TB WD black hard drives as a ZFS pool under Ubuntu.

I am going to use the three 2 TD Hitachi drives in another pc and will run Nas4Free on it since over 7 TB was really too much in this pc for the number of VM's I would run and 2 TB should be plenty.

I have the Ubuntu drive plus the two 1 TB drives plugged into the bottom SCU/SATA ports, there are no Windows drivers for those newer than windows 7 so windows 8.1 does not even see them at all .

I just use the BIOS F11 option to boot into Linux, the BIOS defaults to Windows 8.1 if I do not interrupt the boot process.

But nothing is set into stone and I will change things as I learn more.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Since my work pc was able to have the free upgrade to Windows 10 last week, without my input, I am seeing if you can still get the free upgrade on a Windows 7 VM.

If so then that is great because I have a few unused Windows 7 keys left from my MS technet subscription I had.

Downloading....
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Installing......
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Installed, working and activated.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I was having an issue with video performance and a sluggish mouse, so I edited the VM xml file and configured the video with more ram, from 16mb to 64mb and used another QXL video driver from http://depot.flexvdi.com/guest-tools/ using the latest one qxlwddm-0.16-flexvdi.zip.

Now video is much improved and the mouse is smooth just like it was in Windows 7.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#35]
To back up the windows 10 vm image I used tar to compress it, VM size on disk is 107 gigs with Windows 10 using ~31 gigs after installing and updating and compressing the qcow2 file as a tar.gz file its ~15 gigs.

Is using tar acceptable to compress a VM to copy it over to an NAS for a baseline install backup?

I'm not talking about a daily or weekly or monthly backup only a backup of the original install with zero programs added so I wont have to reinstall completely from scratch and then teak it, it will only be used if I completely hose the original install.

Later I will do some sort of scheduled backup as I learn more.

Apparently my google foo is week tonight.

Edit: I made one mistake when I made the Windows 7 vm it could only see two of the vcpu's , I gave it 8 vcpu's and Windows 7 only sees two sockets so I had to play around with editing the .xml file to being a single 4 core cpu with two threads per core instead of 8 single cores cpu's.

Now Windows 10 runs even better as a vm.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I am joining the club. I just bought a workstation off of Craigslist that had a nice Asus z9pe-d16 motherboard and dual CPU compatible powersupply.

This will be my primary workstation and I am building it for fun.

Installing everything in a huge gen 1 cosmos case. Going to use two Samsung 850 evo ssd in raid 0 as my boot drive. Dual e5-2670 CPU and evo 212 coolers. 16 sticks of 4gb ecc ram.

I am excited. Been wanting to build one of these since the 2670's started flooding the market.

Upgrading from a core i7- 920 machine that had served me well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am joining the club. I just bought a workstation off of Craigslist that had a nice Asus z9pe-d16 motherboard and dual CPU compatible powersupply.

This will be my primary workstation and I am building it for fun.

Installing everything in a huge gen 1 cosmos case. Going to use two Samsung 850 evo ssd in raid 0 as my boot drive. Dual e5-2670 CPU and evo 212 coolers. 16 sticks of 4gb ecc ram.

I am excited. Been wanting to build one of these since the 2670's started flooding the market.

Upgrading from a core i7- 920 machine that had served me well.
View Quote

Cool!!

I am really enjoying my Dual Xeon setup, plenty of horsepower to do just about anything you want to do.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Cool!!

I am really enjoying my Dual Xeon setup, plenty of horsepower to do just about anything you want to do.
View Quote

Looking forward to the build.

On my wish list down the road:
changing the boot drive to a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD in a PCIE adapter. Supposed to be crazy fast and looks like it is supported on my Asus board.
10G networking using these NICS in both my dual 2011 and my media server/plex server. I am already wired with CAT6A
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:47:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been intentionally avoiding this post for months. Not gonna look. It's just gonna make me spend money. 

I should've stayed out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm dying here.   

But, I think I am going to make the jump and do the upgrade.   Seems like a monster machine.   How much heat / noise do these put out cooling them correctly? 
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm dying here.   

But, I think I am going to make the jump and do the upgrade.   Seems like a monster machine.   How much heat / noise do these put out cooling them correctly? 
View Quote

They're not that bad.  My wife hasn't complained about mine like she did my LTC rig I built years ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm dying here.   

View Quote

MUCH quieter than my AMD FX 8320 overclocked and watercooled build in the same case, even with the cpu's, cpu coolers and both video cards cranking.

Now heat, that's different.

The FX runs warm at anything more than just surfing the web or other light tasks, even watching you-tube videos the fans on the water cooler start to get noticeable enough that my daughter uses headphones exclusivity.

When i'm not really stressing it more than moderately the dual Xeon build is much cooler and whisper quiet, but with it stressing at %100 it does put a a bit more heat not a lot but noticeable but its still way quieter.

Now the cheap deals on the E5- 2670 cpu's are over, low of ~$55 each now they are ~$ 85 each.

That's still a decent deal but not a screaming good one like 6-9 months ago.

Oh and for Cpu coolers I'm using cheap Cooler Master 212 evo's, they are more than enough.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've been intentionally avoiding this post for months. Not gonna look. It's just gonna make me spend money. 

I should've stayed out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

MUCH quieter than my AMD FX 8320 overclocked and watercooled build in the same case, even with the cpu's, cpu coolers and both video cards cranking.

Now heat, that's different.

The FX runs warm at anything more than just surfing the web or other light tasks, even watching you-tube videos the fans on the water cooler start to get noticeable enough that my daughter uses headphones exclusivity.

When i'm not really stressing it more than moderately the dual Xeon build is much cooler and whisper quiet, but with it stressing at %100 it does put a a bit more heat not a lot but noticeable but its still way quieter.

Now the cheap deals on the E5- 2670 cpu's are over, low of ~$55 each now they are ~$ 85 each.

That's still a decent deal but not a screaming good one like 6-9 months ago.

Oh and for Cpu coolers I'm using cheap Cooler Master 212 evo's, they are more than enough.
View Quote

85 bucks for an 8 core xeon is still a screaming deal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:46:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I had an issue that the Windows 10 VM was not assessable either from the LAN or to the LAN but it can access the Internet just fine.

I use DHCP from my dsl modem/router and it gives out addresses in the 192.168.1.* range but the VM was on 192.168.122.22 because of Libvirt's default settings.

So I needed to configure a bridge to one of the four lan ports on the motherboard and I googled and read a few things and thought that there should be an easier way then what I was reading because like usual I was fiddling with this crap late at night and way too tired and I found a way to use Network Manager to make the bridge.

So I did it the easy way, http://ask.xmodulo.com/configure-linux-bridge-network-manager-ubuntu.html and that worked perfectly and only took about 2 minutes.

Now I have full connectivity with all my other pc's and NAS's and to my Windows 10 VM.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#46]
In another week or two this will be retired as my main pc, so I'm trying to decide whether to sell the motherboard and cpu's and maybe the ram or use it as all in one server.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Put the cpu's ram and motherboard up on Ebay.

Cpu's are SOLD!! Damn that was FAST I guess my buy it now should have been higher.....sold them for $30 more than I payed for them.

Some dude from Vietnam wanted me to do a buy it now for the motherboard about a minute and and a half of posting even tho I CLEARLY STATED U.S. SALES ONLY!!

Ram........we shall see.... I kind of hope it does not sell because I can max out a couple of pc's with it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Darnit...
This thread...
And this thread alone...

... has me thinking. (and yes, it does sting!)

I'm looking at an R710. If the one I wind up with does not have the L low power CPUs, I think I will get them. This will be a 24x7x364.25 box, so the lower power will be good for me. That leaves me with 2 regular Xeons. Darn. Might have to pull the tiny Atom board out of my tall tower and build a dual Xeon in it. 
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Darnit...
This thread...
And this thread alone...

... has me thinking. (and yes, it does sting!)

I'm looking at an R710. If the one I wind up with does not have the L low power CPUs, I think I will get them. This will be a 24x7x364.25 box, so the lower power will be good for me. That leaves me with 2 regular Xeons. Darn. Might have to pull the tiny Atom board out of my tall tower and build a dual Xeon in it. 
View Quote

The pc lives on in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_124/1959272_Building-a-CHEAP-dual-socket-2011-3--Xeon-cpu-workstation-for-fun--2017-edition-------.html

Not the screaming deal the E5-2670's were but I went with newer socket 2011-3 workstation motherboard and a couple of oddball engineering sample Xeons and reused everything except the board, cpu's and ram.

Not a whole lot more performance right now but it gives me more usability and many more cpu upgrade options with E5 V3's and V4's when they get cheap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top