Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/14/2016 11:58:14 PM EDT
Website link that got me started on this http://www.techspot.com/review/1155-affordable-dual-xeon-pc/

It will be two Intel E5-2670 2.60Ghz 20M Cache 8-Core 115W Processors with Turbo Boost up to 3.3Ghz.

Two Eight cores with hyperthreading..... 32 threads of processing goodness.

Picked them up used for $134.00 for the pair.

Just arrived at the post office and I'll pick them up Saturday.

The motherboard I want is on back order, supposed to be in in a week or so but if its not I may go with a different one, because everybody is scrambling for older LGA 2011 dual socket motherboards because of these cheap Xeons.

They are cheap because several BIG data-centers have upgraded to newer stuff.

So I'm in the parts collection mode now and deciding on cpu coolers and ram because I have everything else already from my FX8320 build.

A single Xeon E5-2670 is about %15 to%35 faster than my FX cpu depending on the program so it will be an major upgrade with a dual Xeon setup.

I know its not the latest and greatest but I actually have an upgrade path with LGA 2011-R because the E5 2670 v1 can be replaced by E5 v2 cpu's that are faster and or have more cores as they become decommissioned.

Oh if you have an older X79 mobo they will drop right in.

My FX 8320 at 4.7 Ghz scores 709 on cinebench 15 multicore benchmark.

Price reference I7 5960x $1049.99
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Got my CPU's in Saturday.

Whats a good picture hosting site that works with arfcom so I can start posting pics of my build?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you do that will take advantage of that horsepower?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Surf Arfcom !!

Can you even imagine the number of browser tabs that an be opened at one time !!

I have been building my own pc's for years, my oldest is a maxed out Deskpro 8086 running Xenix 86.

So its mostly just playtoy like all my pc builds, but I have years of video of my kids that I need to transfer to digital and that will be able to use the horsepower.

All I need really is the cpu's, ram, motherboard, and two cpu coolers and that's it, maybe $500 total depending on the ram and the coolers. It will be my cheapest AND most powerful upgrade ever.

Its really just an amazing value compared to a typical pc build.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Surf Arfcom !!

Can you even imagine the number of browser tabs that an be opened at one time !!

I have been building my own pc's for years, my oldest is a maxed out Deskpro 8086 running Xenix 86.

So its mostly just playtoy like all my pc builds, but I have years of video of my kids that I need to transfer to digital and that will be able to use the horsepower.

All I need really is the cpu's, ram, motherboard, and two cpu coolers and that's it, maybe $500 total depending on the ram and the coolers. It will be my cheapest AND most powerful upgrade ever.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surf Arfcom !!

Fair enough, man.. I'm not asking you to justify anything, I'm just genuinely curious.  Not many desktop use scenarios can properly task multiple cores.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fair enough, man.. I'm not asking you to justify anything, I'm just genuinely curious.  Not many desktop use scenarios can properly task multiple cores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surf Arfcom !!

Plus desktop cores have instruction sets optimized for desktop workloads, and server cores have instruction sets optimized for server workloads.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
UPDATE :

Motherboard is ordered.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=EP2C602-4L/D16#Specifications

I was planning on the cheaper version of this board, EP2C602 has less memory slots and one more PCIe slot, but its still not in yet and the PP2C602-4L/D16 came in today at NewEgg.
Also I checked my Paypal balance and I had almost $50.00 that I had forgotten about and that's about the difference in price between the two boards.

Oh and before anybody ask why I went with a Asrock Rack board instead of a Supermicro, I have had a couple of dealings with both Asrock and Asrock Rack service and had great service from them.  Also I messaged Asrock Rack the other day about both of these boards on Facebook and someone
replied in only a couple of minutes and answered all my questions.

Also this board will fit my Enthoo Pro case without drilling any holes unlike SM.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Plus desktop cores have instruction sets optimized for desktop workloads, and server cores have instruction sets optimized for server workloads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surf Arfcom !!

I run a few virtual machines pretty regularly and the Xeons have the VT-x VT-d ect. And that is mandatory for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surf Arfcom !!

Well I know its overkill for what I do but it should be fun, plus I dual boot with Kali Linux and play around with it regularly on my network.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I run a few virtual machines pretty regularly and the Xeons have the VT-x VT-d ect. And that is mandatory for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surf Arfcom !!

I hear that. This from the guy trying to build out an OpenStack cluster right now.  I totally get building a big bad hypervisor host, but I just don't get using it as your main desktop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I hear that. This from the guy trying to build out an OpenStack cluster right now.  I totally get building a big bad hypervisor host, but I just don't get using it as your main desktop.
View Quote

Well it is an incredible bargain for the performance i'll have.

I never said it will be %100 practical just that it will be a beast and fun to mess with.

I am planning to only run one graphics card so I have enough pci-e slots to add whatever I need to.

I'll throw in a soundblaster pci card (already have), USB 3.0 pci-e card with a female adapter so I can plug my front case USB 3.0 cable into.

Then my Nvidia GTX 970 and it will make a killer desktop.

If your a car guy, its like putting a 454 in a 69 Camaro or a 350 into a Vega.... not completely practical but real fun.

And that's the whole point, I mess with pc's for fun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I never said it will be %100 practical just that it will be a beast and fun to mess with.

I am planning to only run one graphics card so I have enough pci-e slots to add whatever I need to.

I'll throw in a soundblaster pci card (already have), USB 3.0 pci-e card with a female adapter so I can plug my front case USB 3.0 cable into.

If your a car guy, its like putting a 454 in a 69 Camaro or a 350 into a Vega.... not completely practical but real fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I hear ya.  When I do badass desktop builds I do like quad-fire setups with insane overclocks running on liquid.

You checked this one out yet?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXOaCkbt4lI
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hear ya.  When I do badass desktop builds I do like quad-fire setups with insane overclocks running on liquid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep I saw that, pretty crazy stuff.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My motherboard has shipped and should be at my job on Friday.

Also just found out today that even tho there is nothing on Asrocks web site nor in the manual for this motherboard, per the tech guy at Asrock Rack it is AMD crossfire capable so that's got me rethinking my graphics card decision.

Also I was notified today from NewEgg that the cheaper motherboard that I wanted came in but it was already sold by the time I clicked the link.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The Motherboard came in today, it looks very nice and its higher quality than the Asrock AM3+ board I have. My first server/workstation board.

I just realized it came with the latest bios already that was released 3-23-16.

Also made a low ball bid on some 4 gig sticks of ECC DDR3 1600 on ebay.

Tomorrow I head to the computer store for some cpu coolers, last time I was there they had some Cooler Master 212 evo's for less than $30.00 each. No overclocking so they should be more than ok.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#15]
The Computer store I went to only had one cpu cooler and at a higher price so I ordered two Cooler Master 212 EVO's from newegg, $29.00 each,  along with a usb 3.0 pcie card with a connector for my front panel case usb 3.0 ports and it was $33.99 and linux compatible.

Also ordered 64 gigs of DDR3 1600 ecc ram. $124.00 used online. Cheap as I could find it since my ebay bid was too low.

EDIT:

So far i'm under $700.00.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
My CPU's

Test fitting the cpu coolers, old video card for scale.

The motherboard was $309.99 then went to $329.99 when I bought it, then it went up to $429.99 now its at $449.99 on new egg......

Sure glad I picked it up when I did.

The other motherboard I was really wanting is still $279.00 but is only in stock every few days and sells out immediately.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#17]
My 64gigs of DDR3 1600 ram is here!!

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
PFFFFFTTTTT....that thing won't even play minecraft

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Where'd you get the motherboard?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Where'd you get the motherboard?
View Quote

Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157350

It was $309.00 about a week and a half ago, was out and I had new egg notify me when it came in and I bought it but the price had went up to $329.00.

A few days later it was $429.99 and the next day it went up to $449.00

The cheaper one that I originally wanted was $279.00 and was constantly selling out, but its an older board with the latest bios updated dec 2013.

Cheaper board : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157352

The one I bought has been updated with the latest bios from about four weeks ago but its out of stock again.

Now new egg list the cheaper board as out of and probably not going to be reordered.

Asus makes a ATX size 2011 socket board at about $350.00 but the reviews are not the best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131886

Supermicro also makes a couple "low priced" ones.

This board at $449.00 with the Xeon's so cheap now its still a ok deal considering you would end up with a pc that will outclass the latest i7 8 core, that has a $1000.00 price tag for just the cpu, in most things except games and its really not to far behind at a much cheaper price.

But if you have to purchase a sound card and usb card it may be a better deal to go with a more expensive workstation board with everything already on board.

And thats whats driving this craze thats it causing the demand on the older 2011 socket motherboards.

Even used X79 single socket boards are going for way more on ebay than they were just a few months ago.

If you are interested in this you need a socket 2011-r motherboard with either a X79 or C602 chipset, not the newer X99 or C612 chipsets.

If your willing to go used you can pick up a used intel motherboard for $175.00 from Natex.us with a warranty.

http://www.natex.us/product-p/intels2600cp2j-custom.htm

Alot of others are going this way and having good luck with them.

Natex is where I ordered my ram.

I just wanted a new motherboard and that has been an adventure to find one , at a decent price, as they are selling out and going up in price.

Edit: Just a reminder these are server and or workstation boards not gaming or consumer boards so they lack things that you will need to get addon cards for like sound or usb3.0/3.1 ect.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
PFFFFFTTTTT....that thing won't even play minecraft

View Quote

Your wrong according to my thirteen year old daughter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Latest purchases today:

A usb 2.0 dual bracket with motherboard header connector so I can have both usb 2.0 on the rear plugged into one motherboard usb 2.0 header and allow me to connect the case front panel to the other one.

A Cooler Master 200mm case fan for the top of my case.

I just discovered the case manual is wrong about what fans will fit the top of my case, Enthoo Pro.

The manual says three 120mm or three 140mm or one 200mm case fan will fit in the top.

I popped the front and top covers off and discovered that I can mount two 200mm fans up top. EDIT: only one can mount even tho the top panel has two sets of holes.

Big fans are quiet and move lots of air.

So the O.E. 200mm Phantek front fan, two Cooler Master 200mm top fans, the O.E. 140mm Phantek rear fan and  one 140mm in the bottom ( two 140mm's may fit even tho the manual states only one will).

So I should have plenty of airflow that's fairly quiet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Your read the manual?!  I didn't know that happens anymore.  Good on ya, ha.  

I built an i7-2600k system last year (I always go with tech from a few years ago to save $) and was looking at a dual Xeon back then but it was too expensive.  Now you have me looking at that again.  So thanks for that.... Just what I need, another money pit.

I will be following your build with interest.

More pics.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your read the manual?! I didn't know that happens anymore.  Good on ya, ha.  

I built an i7-2600k system last year (I always go with tech from a few years ago to save $) and was looking at a dual Xeon back then but it was too expensive.  Now you have me looking at that again.  So thanks for that.... Just what I need, another money pit.

I will be following your build with interest.

More pics.
View Quote

Sometimes LOL

Some of the used higher end Xeon cpus , socket 1356 and socket 2011-r are still too pricey for my tastes but the E5-2670 's have been dumped on the market and have dropped from about $300.00 each last fall to ~$65.00 each in the past month.

The hard part is getting the motherboard that you really want, I ended up going with my second choice luckily before it shot up in price. My third choice would have been either the used Intel or the new Asus ATX sized board I have linked above.

The 2670's are stupid easy to find on amazon or ebay for cheap, the motherboards are another thing entirely.  

The pricier motherboards, been only talking about dual cpu boards the whole thread, are the workstations with onboard sound and more user friendly features and higher end server boards. The cheaper ones are mostly just a basic low featured server/workstation boards.

There are a few guys that posted on youtube saying this is not that great of a deal because the program they use, Adobe Premier,  does not use all the available cores and would render slower than a overclocked 6700k or X99 cpu.

Those guys are missing the point of a build like this, this build is all about value. Sure lots of programs do not use all the threads this combo offers but the ones that do let you beat a $1000.00 cpu for ~$134.00 worth of used cpu's.

Another option would be to go with a single E5 2670 and a single socket x79 or C602 chipset board.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is _almost_ making me regret the 48 core HP/AMD server I picked up a few weeks ago...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This thread is _almost_ making me regret the 48 core HP/AMD server I picked up a few weeks ago...
View Quote

More info?

I thought about going AMD but this build is my first Intel build

Plus a MAJOR factor as it will fit my case and I can use it as a workstation/desktop/WOT game pc.

Used 16 core Opterons are CHEAP!!

New 4 cpu opteron motherboards are as low as $79.00 on ebay..... wont fit a regular case at all and lots server only i/o, power supply's ect.

Tough to deal with but would be fun to try to make work rigging something up.  

64 cores..

Edit for some links for AMD pron....

CHEAP ASS AMD G34 4  cpu motherboard.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dell-PowerEdge-C6145-Server-Quad-Socket-G34-AMD-System-Motherboard-40N24-/391052116121

CHEAPER Refurb board for $34.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dell-PowerEdge-M915-Planar-Server-AMD-Motherboard-J4N6F-CFJ9T-CN-0CFJ9T-/151685487769?hash=item235128dc99:g:W-oAAOSwD0lUghxO

CHEAP ASS AMD 16 core opteron.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Opteron-6276-16-Cores-2-30GHZ-Processor-OS6276WKTGGGU-Socket-G34-/161779237960?hash=item25aacb4448:g:4YoAAOSw3ydVs4Lr
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
More info?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

More info?

$500 for a "lightly beaten" Dl585 G7 w/ 144g of ram.

$215 later its at 256g.

Now I'm looking for HP 2.5" drive sleds / SFF SAS drives so I have some fast local storage to put my VM files on.

Oh, yeah... and if I can find them cheap, a set of rails for it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#28]
ITS ALIVE!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Kali Linux install from the FX 8320 setup, just plugged it and it booted without any problems.

Rocking 32 threads now, lots of stuff still to do but its running !!

I did not even set the date and time in the bios.

Still have a big to do list.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Now I have sound, the old standby creative sound-blaster live 24 bit that always worked with linux had no right channel at all. So I dug into my pci card stash and found an older Creative card that works and has a built in amp for headphones, sounds pretty good and if it works with whatever version of windows I end up installing it may just stay.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Spent last night installing Windows 10 and the older sound card does not work in Windows 10, so I reinstalled the newer one and it works fine.

Installed World of Tanks and with everything on max in the graphics settings it runs  GREAT!!

But I did not focus on games with this build, just comparing it to the old setup.

Cinebench R15 score on Multi Thread benchmark went from 709 on the FX 8320 at 4.7 ghz to 2002 at ~3.0 ghz.

The Cooler Master 212 evo's work perfectly with the temps maxing out a 58c with the fans running at %50 and not even spinning up at all, still need to play around on the fan settings in the bios a bit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Mostly complete.

I have a 24 psu connector extender  that will be in on Tuesday, the power supply connector is about 1/8 inch too short, ,  to run behind the motherboard so I need a short extension so the way I ran the cable is only temporary.

I ordered a new pci sound card that has the connector for the front case panel on it.

Still tweaking the bios, the PWM fan controller for the cpu fans doesn't seem raise the fan speed at all so I set it on %70 for both cpu fans and that cools enough that the cpu temps are no higher than 60c and its not too loud.

Still need to tweak the other fan speeds a bit but as of right now its a little quieter than my old setup at idle but much quieter when I'm doing something stressful.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Screenshot from windows 10.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Now I overclocked my DDR3 1600 ram to 1866 at 1.6 volts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/2MTtRU1.png

View Quote

Dang... At least you have one core awake. :-)

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/2MTtRU1.png

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Total so far as it sits.

Motherboard                 $329.99
Cpu's                              $134.00
Ram                               $125.00
Cpu coolers                  $59.98
200mm fan                   $25.00
Usb 2.0 brkt                  $8.00

--------------------------------------
  total so far                $681.97

I do have a newer sound card due tomorrow for about  $35.00 and a 24 pin wire extender for $7.00 that will put me over $700.00

EDIT:!! That does not include all the stuff I already had and reused, case, powersupply, ssd drives ect.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Installed the 24 pin power supply connector extender and ran the 24 pin cable behind the motherboard.

Installed the sound card, works good in windows.....

Linux...I had to dick with alsamixer to get the output to the speakers, originally the front panel worked but nothing out of the rear panel, and doing that it disabled the front panel connector which was the whole point of the new sound card in the first place.

EDIT: Rebooting into Windows 10 and I had to run the Asus audio center program to get my front panel back....which messes up my Linux Alsamixer settings....
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Any chance you have a device to measure power draw at the outlet?  I would be interested in watts drawn idle, watts drawn doing some web surfing or youtube watching, and watts drawn using Prime95 or something else stressing all the cores.  I'd like to replace my i7-2600k that I use for a/v conversion with something with A LOT more cores, but I don't want to heat my office doing it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any chance you have a device to measure power draw at the outlet?  I would be interested in watts drawn idle, watts drawn doing some web surfing or youtube watching, and watts drawn using Prime95 or something else stressing all the cores.  I'd like to replace my i7-2600k that I use for a/v conversion with something with A LOT more cores, but I don't want to heat my office doing it.
View Quote

Nope sure don't, but if you look at the first link in the first post it has a link to the site that started me on this project.

The second page will give you a pretty good answer. http://www.techspot.com/review/1155-affordable-dual-xeon-pc/page2.html

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Screen shot of the MAJOR advantage of having a lot of cores verses a typical cpu, and that's running a lot of stuff at the same time.

Watching Matrix Revolutions, installing Office 2010, virus scanner running, making a Windows 10 install usb flash drive for my daughters pc, Firefox.

Cpu utilization is %4

Oh I installed Windows 8.1 pro because Windows 10 started having random lockups, second Windows 10 install that did that.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Remounted the cpu coolers in the more traditional Intel way, fans blowing front to back instead of up like I had them, seems to work a little better and looks a bit nicer too.

Cpu 1 was running a little warmer compared to cpu 2, now they are closer in temp.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#43]
how overclockable are the Xeons?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#44]
God damn dude.  You need to put steer horns on the case.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
how overclockable are the Xeons?
View Quote

These are not at all except for the base clock on some motherboards, up to 101~107 mhz from 100mhz  BCLK.

On this motherboard no options at all.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Oh and running World Of Tanks with everything maxed out on a 1440p monitor the cpu utilization is %5 - %6.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

nope
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
nope

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

nope

Now you have me wanting a small-ish set for my beast box. I imagine it would cause a few chuckles if/when I relocated it to a colo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Installed Boinc and ran the seti@home client, first time in a couple of years, and used Cuda for the first time with it.

Cuda is very speedy.

I can remember back in the early 2000's and my pc taking over a day to finish one work unit. Of course its hard to compare the seti@home then vs now.

I can also remember getting spanked at work back then for running seti@home on all the workstations in my dept with the command line version configured to only run at night, sure cranked out the work units tho.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Hmmm... SETI...

That would be an interesting way to work all my cores.

I wonder how long before the fans kick all the way up and start pushing it across the room airboat style?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top