Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2016 7:38:37 PM EDT
Son is in Afghanistan and wants to view netflix etc and wanted to get a VPN

I used hideme before but he said he cant access it, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Free
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem may be the vpn download sites may be blocked.
You may still be able to use it after it is set up and running on computer.
Make a list of program download pages and perhaps he can find one that will connect.
Or maybe there is a site you can use to pass through and download from the down load and setup site.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Air VPN... if that doesn't work for him - I can dig up a few more that are reputable.

I can vouch for this one personally - because I use it.

https://airvpn.org/
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just going to throw out a different suggestion. If you have some hardware that supports it, you could set up an OpenVPN server and he could VPN into your network and use your connection.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I use private internet access or my own
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just going to throw out a different suggestion. If you have some hardware that supports it, you could set up an OpenVPN server and he could VPN into your network and use your connection.
View Quote

I would recommend going along these lines. My ASUS router has built in VPN hosting ability and it also has dynamic dns support so I can vpn to that router from wherever I am.

Some networks block ALL vpn traffic so I have a backup SSH tunnel on an old laptop at my parents house. It's not as fast or as reliable as the VPN but so far I haven't seen a network yet that blocked outbound ssh traffic for some reason
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would recommend going along these lines. My ASUS router has built in VPN hosting ability and it also has dynamic dns support so I can vpn to that router from wherever I am.

Some networks block ALL vpn traffic so I have a backup SSH tunnel on an old laptop at my parents house. It's not as fast or as reliable as the VPN but so far I haven't seen a network yet that blocked outbound ssh traffic for some reason
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://github.com/apenwarr/sshuttle

Sshuttle is a great program for that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Hide My Ass tell him thank you for his service from me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
TOR.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I am currently deployed as well and use IVPN.  Works awesome and allows you to choose different servers world wide based on the one with the lowest traffic.  Its $100 a year but worth it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys
I'm Going to forward this to him and hopefully he will figure it out

I thought kids were supposed to be up to speed on computer stuff, I had to set the time on the VCR when I was a kid

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Son is in Afghanistan and wants to view netflix etc and wanted to get a VPN
I used hideme before but he said he cant access it, any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Free
View Quote

buy a VPN-capable router (US$40 at Newegg if yours doesn't already support VPN via DD-WRT or similar).
set up VPN router at your house.  (5 mins)
assign VPN password.  (1 min)

thereafter...

son VPNs to your router at your house.  
from netflix's standpoint, it looks like his connection is coming from your house, not AFG.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I used hotspot shield (free version) while I was over there to access websites like my bank, etc that don't react well to IP addresses from the middle east. Never any problems.

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hide My Ass tell him thank you for his service from me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Bumping a dying thread to ask if anyone has used or has on opinion on PureVPN ?
/. is offering a "lifetime" deal for $69.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 2:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

as soon as ANY company offers a "lifetime" deal, you can pretty much be sure that they will be in business AT BEST 2 or 3 more years.

always remember, the word "lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the business, and not your lifetime.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/26/2016 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

as soon as ANY company offers a "lifetime" deal, you can pretty much be sure that they will be in business AT BEST 2 or 3 more years.

always remember, the word "lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the business, and not your lifetime.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Not so sure I'd agree.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not so sure I'd agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Not so sure I'd agree.

I put "lifetime" in quotes for a reason. It looks like the fine print describes it as a five year contract with the option to renew for free by e-mailing support.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Torguard.net, or private internet access.

That's torguard, nothing to do with tor.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Betternet
Vpn for iOS and android. Not sure about PC. I'm a BAF it's what I've been using
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for Private Internet Access.  However I recently bought a seedbox and it has a VPN built in so I've been using that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top