Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2016 10:22:59 AM EDT
Here's the situation.  My sister back in the states either by accident, or it happened automatically upgraded to Win 10.  Won't boot into safe mode, or any mode, and trying to use the option to roll back fails.  Since it's a dell and she didn't get a Windows disk the only other option besides formatting etc is using the built in Windows reset function.  Problem is she'll lose all of the data that she needs.

Through webcam I was trying to help and had her burn and boot this linux boot disk- http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/

From what I could see I couldn't find C drive, nor the external through that file manager.  What I'd like to be able to do since she's not all that tech savvy is find a boot disk that will allow her to drag and drop what she needs to back up to her external drive that's as close to windows as possible.  She won't be able to do anything command line, and has to navigate to all the little spots all the shit she should back up like a sane person would've.

Can anyone recommend a linux distro that'll do this, or another method that won't do her head in and isn't a total pain in the ass for me to deal with over a webcam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#1]
You can try Hirens boot disk: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

It's similar to the linux distro you already tried but it's windows based so it's much easier for a non linux person.

To access your windows partition in the linux rescue disc you already tried you need to open Gparted and select the windows partition (most likely the largest NTFS partition in the list) and select Partition -> Mount from the menu. Then navigate to the mount point you selected in the file browser.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's similar to the linux distro you already tried but it's windows based so it's much easier for a non linux person.

To access your windows partition in the linux rescue disc you already tried you need to open Gparted and select the windows partition (most likely the largest NTFS partition in the list) and select Partition -> Mount from the menu. Then navigate to the mount point you selected in the file browser.

View Quote

You reckon it'll recognize the external once it's plugged in, or should I also have her burn some drivers on another disk?  Thanks for the help, really do appreciate it.  I haven't messed with hirens in years and it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You reckon it'll recognize the external once it's plugged in, or should I also have her burn some drivers on another disk?  Thanks for the help, really do appreciate it.  I haven't messed with hirens in years and it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should just recognize it without the need to install any drivers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, I'll post back and let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Worked great, super easy to use, and most of all my sister found it simple and was able to back up everything she needed.

Thanks a ton!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top