Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 10:52:54 PM EDT
Are both fine for building a semi-budget gaming PC, or is there a pressing reason to use an Intel?  

I've used an HP i7 laptop for about 6 years, but the display has bitten the dust and it really isn't up to the task of modern games anyway.  I would like to be somewhat budget friendly, not looking to be the best, mostly for playing the occasional game and streaming media.  I would go with a laptop except I have that covered for any mobile needs and would rather be able to do a few upgrades as time goes on.  So, any advice on this front, not just processor type, would be great.  I would probably stick with nvidia for graphics, but AMD would be fine as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Whichever one makes your dick hard.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
They both work but AMD is known to run hot. I was an AMD guy since my 386 days but when Intel came out with Sandy Bridge CPUs I went Intel ever since.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are both fine for building a semi-budget gaming PC, or is there a pressing reason to use an Intel?  

I've used an HP i7 laptop for about 6 years, but the display has bitten the dust and it really isn't up to the task of modern games anyway.  I would like to be somewhat budget friendly, not looking to be the best, mostly for playing the occasional game and streaming media.  I would go with a laptop except I have that covered for any mobile needs and would rather be able to do a few upgrades as time goes on.  So, any advice on this front, not just processor type, would be great.  I would probably stick with nvidia for graphics, but AMD would be fine as well.
View Quote

There is essentially no reason to go with AMD over intel.

And since you live in GA you can likely go to microcenter to get a good discount on an intel cpu.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
AMD has some really good looking stuff coming out in the next few months.

Right now, Intel is better, but you're going to pay more for it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I was recently provided a more portable company notebook and to my shock and dismay it had an AMD A10 processor despite being a pretty spendy model (not Apple spendy but certainly on the Windows notebook high-ish side).  Intrigued, I've so far found it to be every bit as fast as comparable Intel notebooks and completely bug/trouble free.  Of course, now the fucking thing is going to start going bananas on me.

This isn't a cheer for AMD over Intel by any stretch.  I'm a very agnostic technology type (just don't start up something like an old-school VI/VIM vs. EMACS pissing match ), I need gear to work and be reliable.  That's all.  I just thought I'd throw in that I was pleasantly surprised by the performance and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was recently provided a more portable company notebook and to my shock and dismay it had an AMD A10 processor despite being a pretty spendy model (not Apple spendy but certainly on the Windows notebook high-ish side).  Intrigued, I've so far found it to be every bit as fast as comparable Intel notebooks and completely bug/trouble free.  Of course, now the fucking thing is going to start going bananas on me.

This isn't a cheer for AMD over Intel by any stretch.  I'm a very agnostic technology type (just don't start up something like an old-school VI/VIM vs. EMACS pissing match ), I need gear to work and be reliable.  That's all.  I just thought I'd throw in that I was pleasantly surprised by the performance and have no complaints.
View Quote

Why would you compare a text editor to an operating system?

I mean we all know Emacs has a text editor built into it, but...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh God, here we go.....

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh God, here we go.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oh God, here we go.....

Quoted:

It had to be done...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:17:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, it did.  It's been a while.  

Somehow, I knew it would be you!

Yes. Emacs is far more extensible than VI.   There I said it.

But nobody uses it!  Sort of.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, go with intel.  I've run both since the late 1980s.  AMD has always had the cheaper product.  Intel has always had the superior product.  As previously stated, the AMD will run hotter, and in many cases, MUCH hotter.  By the time to spend money on a better aftermarket cooler for the AMD, you might as well buy the Intel.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, RMS uses it.

And there's a professor at ODU that lives on it.

Other than that, I'm not convinced anybody else uses it.

Vi is the perfect sysadmin's editor.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Agreed.  A peeve of mine is the popularity of lightweights like (particularly) Nano.  I blame Ubuntu for that one.  

Here we are, discussing the merits of text editors when there are people out there with real issues like how to deal with WINDOWS 10.

Quoted:

Hey, RMS uses it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Agreed.  A peeve of mine is the popularity of lightweights like (particularly) Nano.  I blame Ubuntu for that one.  

Here we are, discussing the merits of text editors when there are people out there with real issues like how to deal with WINDOWS 10.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, RMS uses it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hey, RMS uses it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, RMS uses it.

About half my professors lived on it as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I blame Ubuntu as well for that.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, RMS uses it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to be indifferent to the plight of others but I can guarantee you that ":help iccf" is one key sequence I will never use.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup.  Dirty bastards.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not to be indifferent to the plight of others but I can guarantee you that ":help iccf" is one key sequence I will never use.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol

You did notice it's running on Windows, right?  Windows 10 specifically although you can't tell that from the screenshot...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#20]
AMD FX-8350 with an EVO 212 cooler will give you ~75% performance of a ~$400 i7 for about half the cost. It really depends on what you're needing to get done, how fast and your budget. For a budget build it makes sense to go with a CPU package that is half the price and the MB's are usually cheaper as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I noticed the window frame color scheme and saw the system32 path but I COMPLETELY failed the "irony of running VIM in Windows" test.

I will NOT be overestimated!

Quoted:

lol

You did notice it's running on Windows, right?  Windows 10 specifically although you can't tell that from the screenshot...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I went with an Intel i5-3570 on a Gigabyte B75 mobo and 1TB Seagate Constellation Enterprise hard drive for one reason only, to keep going for years. That was in 2012 that I built this.

So far so good.

As I said before I was an AMD guy and I did good with them. After 6 years with my AM2-3800+ system I started having memory problems so I guessed that my mobo's gone bad. Being out of a loop for quite a while I asked around on my computer forum for a budget system. One member suggested a Sandy Bridge Celeron build instead of an AMD 270 (?) I was asking about because a local shop has a system for sale. Much faster they say. I told them I hated Celeron and that they're pathetic CPUs.

Not anymore they said so ok I'll build one with a $50 Celeron G540 then. They were right, that CPU has some balls. Later I upgraded to an i3-2105 which was an amazing CPU. In fact I still have the i3 system when I built this i5 system.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#23]
And by "years" you mean exactly 4 years and no longer.

Quoted:
I went with an Intel i5-3570 on a Gigabyte B75 mobo and 1TB Seagate Constellation Enterprise hard drive for one reason only, to keep going for years. That was in 2012 that I built this.

So far so good.

As I said before I was an AMD guy and I did good with them. After 6 years with my AM2-3800+ system I started having memory problems so I guessed that my mobo's gone bad. Being out of a loop for quite a while I asked around on my computer forum for a budget system. One member suggested a Sandy Bridge Celeron build instead of an AMD 270 (?) I was asking about because a local shop has a system for sale. Much faster they say. I told them I hated Celeron and that they're pathetic CPUs.

Not anymore they said so ok I'll build one with a $50 Celeron G540 then. They were right, that CPU has some balls. Later I upgraded to an i3-2105 which was an amazing CPU. In fact I still have the i3 system when I built this i5 system.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So far so good.

Horseshit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Whatever, it's your critical data.

Quoted:

Horseshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So far so good.

Horseshit.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I built my new box on an AMD FX-6300 (six cores @ 3.5 GHz), which costs 1/2 as much as the most inexpensive Intel quad-cores, even with a $25 aftermarket cooler for the AMD chip.

The box does media ripping, editing and encoding, file server functions, multiple VMs and it runs my games like a boss.

This is not to say that Intel makes bad CPUs, the total opposite is true - they're great! They're just significantly more expensive and that expense isn't justifiable when compared with the real-world performance of the AMD alternative for my usage.

Edited to add specs numbers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I built my new box on an AMD FX-6300 (six cores @ 3.5 GHz), which costs 1/2 as much as the most inexpensive Intel quad-cores, even with a $25 aftermarket cooler for the AMD chip.

The box does media ripping, editing and encoding, file server functions, multiple VMs and it runs my games like a boss.

This is not to say that Intel makes bad CPUs, the total opposite is true - they're great! They're just significantly more expensive and that expense isn't justifiable when compared with the real-world performance of the AMD alternative for my usage.

Edited to add specs numbers.
View Quote

The competiting Intel CPUs are Ivy Bridge i3s and i5s. Three generations ago. You can only buy them used now. Pricing and performance is very similar to current FX6300 pricing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top