Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2016 8:55:26 AM EDT
My son was playing on our Nexus 7 tablet while it was charging and somehow either kicked or pulled on the charging chord causing the tablet's USB port to "loosen" considerably.

It won't charge now. I tried bending the metal USB port "casing" back into shape, but still can't get it to charge.

Any way to repair a damaged port or is this thing bricked?

I have not contacted Google service yet. We can get a new one for not much $ but I don't want to buy a new one if I don't have to.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to ifixit.com and look at the guide for the Nexus 7 I/O cable. In all likelyhood you will have to replace it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go to ifixit.com and look at the guide for the Nexus 7 I/O cable. In all likelyhood you will have to replace it.
View Quote
yep, based on that guide, I think I'll need to replace the micro USB port.

I haven't worked on these tablets before, do i need those specialized tools (spudger and opening tools)? I'm guessing I would need them to prevent damage during tear down.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I've replaced a couple of these on kindle tablets (easy repair).

I used an old pairing knife to split the case.  That's about the only specialized tool I needed.  

A decent soldering setup and micro screwdrivers should be all you really need.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You may have buggered up some of the copper traces too. That's going to be very small and delicate repair work. Take your time and have good lighting and a magnifier of some sort. It will make the job easier.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You may have buggered up some of the copper traces too. That's going to be very small and delicate repair work. Take your time and have good lighting and a magnifier of some sort. It will make the job easier.
View Quote

Copy all.  After some more research, I have the Nexus 7 2nd gen which has the USB port attached to the daughter board. Will require replacement of that board.

Ordered off of ebay and some simple tools. Should be here by the end of the week. We'll see if it works.

Thanks for all the replies

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck, it's always good to see people trying to actually fix things rather than just tossing them when they break.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Good luck, it's always good to see people trying to actually fix things rather than just tossing them when they break.
View Quote

Amen.

My laptop is on its third hard drive, second power socket board, and I'm debating replacing the hinge assemblies to give it yet another lease on life.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The newer nexus 7 has wireless charging capability. Just get a wireless charger
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You are in luck.  The Nexus 7 can charge using a Qi wireless charger.  I got one when my Nexus 4 phone wouldn't keep a cable plugged in.  They work great, and you can get one on Amazon for 15-20 bucks.  You just set the device on it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You are in luck.  The Nexus 7 can charge using a Qi wireless charger.  I got one when my Nexus 4 phone wouldn't keep a cable plugged in.  They work great, and you can get one on Amazon for 15-20 bucks.  You just set the device on it.
View Quote
Interdasting...never knew that.

Still have the parts inbound. May just have to go AFRCOM standard and get both

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I did when my Galaxy S4's micro-USB got finicky. Bought the Qi charger to keep it running, while I slow-boated the $5 part I needed.

I now keep the charger in my living room (and another in my office at work), and only plug in at night. I also ended up with a Qi charging case for my Work iPhone; it's just so nice to be able to just drop the phone on the pad and fuggitaboutit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's what I did when my Galaxy S4's micro-USB got finicky. Bought the Qi charger to keep it running, while I slow-boated the $5 part I needed.

I now keep the charger in my living room (and another in my office at work), and only plug in at night. I also ended up with a Qi charging case for my Work iPhone; it's just so nice to be able to just drop the phone on the pad and fuggitaboutit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Qi charger showed up today...works like a champ! Thank you AFCOM

Now, just need the new part to come in to fix the USB port. Shipping from Hong Kong so taking a little while.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I replaced the Micro usb port on my Nexus 7(original). It was fairly easy.
Be prepared, I had to trim the usb cord down to fit.
The new usb port sits deeper in the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top