Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2016 11:40:14 PM EDT
Arfcom,

I was just curious if a faster router will make a difference and what would everyone recommend?
I run 2 laptops, PS4, 3 smart TVs, 1 IPAD and 2 kindles(all TV is via internet and only occasional gaming on PS4).
seems to run fine, but would a faster router help?
I'm looking for something around $100 and is easy to setup.
As per title I'm running a old Cisco E1200 N300 router.
Thanks

Free

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It'd be rare that your wifi router, or even ethernet switch, was the actual bottleneck in a home broadband connection.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It'd be rare that your wifi router, or even ethernet switch, was the actual bottleneck in a home broadband connection.
View Quote
Thanks

My router is 300MBS and the wifi card on the laptop is 150MBPS so I though it would be fine.

I just thought with the multiple devices if a faster router would be a benifit or a waste of time.

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Given the disparity in pipeline bandwidths the only possible benefit of newer in-house hardware would be potentially lower latency times, or more flexibility in the management software.  None are likely to give you better throughput, unless you're able to selectively channel one pipe to your most demanding client at a time (at the expense of other clients).
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The speeds advertised are for local connections. Faster is better if you do lots of large file transfers. Just FYI, speeds are usually measured in bits per second and not bytes per second.

As mentioned, routing throughput is rarely a problem. IMHO, reliabity, uptime, and ability to handle multiple and simultaneous wireless clients are bigger issues to worry about.

Anything in specific that you current stuff has you inquiring about an upgrade?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a E1200 for a while till it died. At 25Mbps it will be fine unless you have lots of devices or unless you are doing large file transfers around your home network.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I had a E1200 for a while till it died. At 25Mbps it will be fine unless you have lots of devices or unless you are doing large file transfers around your home network.
View Quote
Thanks

I just thought the faster router might help as I have 7-8 devices running off of it.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My router is 300MBS and the wifi card on the laptop is 150MBPS so I though it would be fine.

View Quote

No, fuck no they are not. Not on a a 2.4 GHz WiFi link.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]
It'll be just fine for your stated purposes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok this is the info I need

will a router with a higher GHz make things run faster or will my wifi card be the bottleneck?

I just pulled this info of the Cisco page

• Storage Temperature:

-4 to 158°F (-20 to 70°C)

• Operating Humidity:

10 to 80% Noncondensing

• Max. Link Rate:

300 Mbps

Thanks

Free

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

will a router with a higher GHz make things run faster or will my wifi card be the bottleneck?

• Storage Temperature:
  • Operating Humidity:
    10 to 80% Noncondensing
  • Max. Link Rate:
    300 Mbps

Thanks
Free

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

• Storage Temperature:
  • Operating Humidity:
    10 to 80% Noncondensing
  • Max. Link Rate:
    300 Mbps

Thanks
Free

Your stuff is fine. Your Internet speed isn't that fast. Go to speedtest.net on your laptop and check if you are that worried about it. And getting a new wireless router with faster wireless isn't going to help any if you are already hitting your max Internet speed. Your laptop probably can't take advantage of 5Ghz anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top