Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 12:16:31 AM EDT
What would you do?  Any vertical, and specialization, anything at all.  What would be your own dream company be?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Something that would make me fat stacks yo.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Business in a box in the cloud. Small to medium sized law firms. Monthly maintenance agreement. Complete lock down of users on domain devices. Frozen OS partitions with redirected profiles that are backed up automatically on a regular basis. I have just about had it with all the crypto-variants that have been popping up around here.

Cool thing is, in 2015, this is an easy sell. Just about everyone I run into on a professional level has lost crucial data and smaller businesses are much less resistant to outsourced IT conducting preventative maintenance (and charging for it).
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:59:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd focus on virtualization along with vdi environments.  With that I'd offer offsite cloud applications such as mail (exchange) file storage and web services.  Basically where the customers would only need a fast circuit and tons of zero clients with their own document management solutions like fax, scanners and printers.  There is really no reason any longer for your day to day office workers to have full size desktops when all they need is a small appliance that can hook a keyboard,mouse and multiple monitors to outside of people that need larger amounts of power to render graphics or other high io/cpu projects.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Business in a box in the cloud. Small to medium sized law firms. Monthly maintenance agreement. Complete lock down of users on domain devices. Frozen OS partitions with redirected profiles that are backed up automatically on a regular basis. I have just about had it with all the crypto-variants that have been popping up around here.

Cool thing is, in 2015, this is an easy sell. Just about everyone I run into on a professional level has lost crucial data and smaller businesses are much less resistant to outsourced IT conducting preventative maintenance (and charging for it).
View Quote

I actually do that today with law firms, accounting firms, and insurance firms.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd focus on virtualization along with vdi environments.  With that I'd offer offsite cloud applications such as mail (exchange) file storage and web services.  Basically where the customers would only need a fast circuit and tons of zero clients with their own document management solutions like fax, scanners and printers.  There is really no reason any longer for your day to day office workers to have full size desktops when all they need is a small appliance that can hook a keyboard,mouse and multiple monitors to outside of people that need larger amounts of power to render graphics or other high io/cpu projects.
View Quote

I've looked into doing multi-tenant VDI, the technical capability is not that difficult it's doing it as a Service as the licensing is a bitch for that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I would love to run my own IaaS or PaaS but hardware and licensing costs make it impossible to get started without a shit ton of capital.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So do I!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You could make a mint undoing errors made by offshore goobers.

I'm wanting to get into virtualization and security now, for just that reason.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would love to run my own IaaS or PaaS but hardware and licensing costs make it impossible to get started without a shit ton of capital.
View Quote

I'm breaking into HaaS for datacenters, if you want to do IaaS or PaaS but don't have capital for hardware we should talk.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd have a sign on the door that said, All MBAs, Business Analysts and PMs that darken this door had best prepare to die.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So do I!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do I!

Yup

SPLA cloud server running 2012R2 with RDS
Hosted Exchange with SPLA Office 2013/2016
Hosted Lync for messaging with UC integration
Hosted PBX with phones on desk
Thin-clients with dual monitors provided on HaaS

I throw in vendor management, unlimited support/helpdesk, QBR and planning, and I charge $150-200 per seat.

What's great is that this allows the accountants to have seasonal interns that work from home with BYOD to help grow tax filing business during tax season.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the future in a nutshell.

Quoted:

Yup

I throw in vendor management, unlimited support/helpdesk, QBR and planning, and I charge $150-200 per seat.

What's great is that this allows the accountants to have seasonal interns that work from home with BYOD to help grow tax filing business during tax season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do I!

Yup

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I plan on changing it up a bit in the future, but the core of it will stay the same only thing that will change is I plan on going Citrix for session/application delivery under their new Service Provider licensing model.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do I!

Yup

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Having worked in the security arena within the healthcare industry, I'd look at InfoSec consulting specific to that industry. I've seen a lot of healthcare providers who are atrocious when it comes to security posture. I'm talking about things like no IPS, no egress filtering, using OpenDNS for content filtering.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like they are doing something smart by simplifying the license model and making the pricing more attractive for providers?  I'm not familiar with Citrix' current offerings and pricing.

BTW, I've been disappeared because I went back into the business for a technology company everyone knows and probably sees on a daily basis.  I'm an infrastructure architect/engineer now.  I've fulfilled my long desire to get out of the business/management side of the game and get back into the operational side.

I'm having an absolute ball.

I'm working in R&D for Cloud/SDN security, infrastructure, and platform development.

Quoted:
I plan on changing it up a bit in the future, but the core of it will stay the same only thing that will change is I plan on going Citrix for session/application delivery under their new Service Provider licensing model.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Congrats!  The business/management side of the game is something I'm having to rapidly learn but I'm finding a certain amount of satisfaction from the experience.  As far as Citrix, they're pretty much top of the game when it comes to seamlessly delivering browser based desktop/session/application experiences, they know this and are making a shift to capitalize on that fact as the industry transitions to "as a Service" models.  They clearly want to be the backbone of provider market.  If you want a cool breakdown of that, I'm good friends with one of their top SEs and could arrange an introduction.

Quoted:
Sounds like they are doing something smart by simplifying the license model and making the pricing more attractive for providers?  I'm not familiar with Citrix' current offerings and pricing.

BTW, I've been disappeared because I went back into the business for a technology company everyone knows and probably sees on a daily basis.  I'm an infrastructure architect/engineer now.  I've fulfilled my long desire to get out of the business/management side of the game and get back into the operational side.

I'm working in R&D for Cloud/SDN security, infrastructure, and platform development.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I wish I would've started something like Digital Ocean or Linux Academy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both very good options.

On of my CSRs was a grade school teacher.  I've been kicking the idea around of working with her to put together a "how to computer" class geared towards the elderly.  Then having her run an all day class for old people and charging $50 bucks a head.  Have her run that once a month.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a very good idea.  I'd also send out sales calls to the bigger and mid sized chains like Eskaton and that sort.  They are always looking to put together various classes for their residents and $50 a head would not be outside their budget range.  

I'd be interested in looking at Citrix when I get the time.  Right now I'm buried.  I have my hands in 6 project/development lanes and am currently working with VMWare (let me just say, they are VERY protective of NSX and refuse to let go of any of the bits to their highest level partners), OpenStack, RedHat and a couple of other well-knowns on various cloud and SDN systems for the datacenter.  Customer managed VDI to go along with IaaS, PaaS, NaaS, etc., is getting more and more heavily requested by enterprise customers to "complete the circle" and I think Citrix could have a major role there if they align that way.

Sorry about the thread hijack!

ETA:  Glad to see you are moving into the management skill set.  Look into "Patton on Leadership".  I've put more of the tidbits and themes in that book directly to work than any other facet of my education.  It's a fantastic primer.

Quoted:

Both very good options.

On of my CSRs was a grade school teacher.  I've been kicking the idea around of working with her to put together a "how to computer" class geared towards the elderly.  Then having her run an all day class for old people and charging $50 bucks a head.  Have her run that once a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both very good options.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Might be a bit of a hijack but does anyone know where to get started with Openstack?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Might be a bit of a hijack but does anyone know where to get started with Openstack?
View Quote

Since I mentioned it above, I'll put another shout out for Linux Academy.

You get access to virtual servers you can play with to your heart's content. They've been adding content and features that are pretty slick. A month or so ago they added a practice exam module.

They have a BF deal going for $9 for the first 30 days. Provides an inexpensive way to give it a test. PM your email address if you're interested and I'll send you a referral. We both get a Professional Development Certificate Voucher. I'm really not sure what it is but it sounds cool.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

NUCs and a lot of free time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I with they were more affordable.  I was looking for a way to do a home lab for ESXi and ended up just building a box with an E5 and 32GB of memory and going with the nested option.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I with they were more affordable.  I was looking for a way to do a home lab for ESXi and ended up just building a box with an E5 and 32GB of memory and going with the nested option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I love the NUCs for their compact size, but they're not terribly cheap by any means.

An E5 is pretty overkill if you're only doing 32GB and don't need a huge number of PCI-E lanes.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah, I love the NUCs for their compact size, but they're not terribly cheap by any means.

An E5 is pretty overkill if you're only doing 32GB and don't need a huge number of PCI-E lanes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.  I had to go back and look at the order on Amazon and it was an E3.  I knew it sounded off when I typed it.

I would love to run 4-6 physical boxes instead of the nested option and I love the idea of the NUCs . Base models run $350 without memory or HD.  Starts to add up fast if you want to run a few of them.   The board I bought has IPMI built in which is nice as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You are correct.  I had to go back and look at the order on Amazon and it was an E3.  I knew it sounded off when I typed it.

I would love to run 4-6 physical boxes instead of the nested option and I love the idea of the NUCs . Base models run $350 without memory or HD.  Starts to add up fast if you want to run a few of them.   The board I bought has IPMI built in which is nice as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The i5 NUCs are indispensable for infrastructure lab work.  They're worth every penny I paid for them, I have 4 currently and I'm constantly burning them down and building them up in various cluster configs just for giggles.  I like them better because I can just throw them out on my desk and start working them without having to tear down and rebuild my larger lab environment.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Hosted/Managed services, and have some commission only sales guys go chase customers down.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hosted/Managed services, and have some commission only sales guys go chase customers down.
View Quote

What would you host?  What services would you provide?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#30]
About a year ago I stopped in at a small local consulting firm to get an idea of the services they offered, and what was the normal responsibilities of their employees.  They catered to small businesses that were either short handed in terms of IT staff's skill set, or had no in-house IT staff at all.

What I found interesting is that all the techs served extra duty as salesmen, and it was their job to find any opportunity to not only offer more services to the customer, but also urge them to upgrade their software and hardware more often.  I guess the reason why I found that interesting is because of the small companies that I have dealt with, they barely have the budget to maintain an IT staff, let alone make major changes at the office or data center levels.  I understand the desire for more revenue, but at the same time I also recognize understanding the needs of the customer.  I doubt I could in good conscience sell a customer something they do not want or need.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#31]
CDN and AWS streaming video service ... I actually have several potential customers in mind, but the startup costs are quite prohibitive from what I can gather.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
CDN and AWS streaming video service ... I actually have several potential customers in mind, but the startup costs are quite prohibitive from what I can gather.
View Quote

What content?  That's the real expensive part.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Live video from remote locations .... primarily for current radio broadcasters to add video to their live streams.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top