Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 11:20:49 PM EDT
Anyone done this before?

My NAS based on Debian has two SMART errors I keep getting notified about and I want to fix them once and for all. I know linux doesn't have any simple tools like defrag and HDD scan like Windows does in its GUI.

Is there a recommended resource or easy way to do this VIA SSH on this Debian-based NAS?

Current Errors:

Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA [SAT], 5 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Device: /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA [SAT], 5 Offline uncorrectable sectors

...which are 'OfflineUncorectableSector' and 'CurrentPendingSector'.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't fix SMART errors, you replace the drive.

Those errors are telling you that the surface of your platter(s) is developing spots where it can no longer reliably read/write.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those errors are telling you that the surface of your platter(s) is developing spots where it can no longer reliably read/write.

View Quote

This is correct

ETA - You can unmount the disk and do an fsck -c <dev> which will run a bad block scan which may mark the blocks bad and not use them. This will take a while. But it won't fix the underlaying problem.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My NAS based on Debian has two SMART errors I keep getting notified about and I want to fix them once and for all. I know linux doesn't have any simple tools like defrag and HDD scan like Windows does in its GUI.

View Quote

It does, but your errors are most likely hardware related, not just filesystem errors.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Drive is on its way out.  Back your data up and replace it.  Your risk of data corruption grows as you continue to use the disk.

Edit:  Run a smartctl long test on the drive after backing it up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#5]
SpinRite the failing disk, then clone it to a good drive.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Welp, I guess it's time to upgrade to those WD Red drives I've been eyeing
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is correct

ETA - You can unmount the disk and do an fsck -c <dev> which will run a bad block scan which may mark the blocks bad and not use them. This will take a while. But it won't fix the underlaying problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is correct

FPNI

SPNI

I view SMART errors as a polite reminder to get off my ass and make sure my recovery plan is up to date. It also serves as an opportunity to spend too much on a set of shiny new drives.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It does, but your errors are most likely hardware related, not just filesystem errors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are quite right. SMART doesn't know a filesystem from a koala. All it cares about are raw bits.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You are quite right. SMART doesn't know a filesystem from a koala. All it cares about are raw bits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

To elaborate a little bit, there are tools like Windows' chkdisk and scandisk for linux (like fsck and badblocks). Fsck will repair file system errors and badblocks can identify bad sectors and mark them as such so they aren't used.

SMART only sees mechanical problems, it doesn't check filesystems. When it tells you there are bad sectors, it means there are physical problems with the disk. You can remap those sectors, but you really can't trust that disk much anymore.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Two shiny new expensive WD RED NAS drives en route.

Now who wants to help me move my OMV/Debian install from two USB keys to just one? My boot is on one and OMV install is on the other
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Now who wants to help me move my OMV/Debian install from two USB keys to just one? My boot is on one and OMV install is on the other
View Quote

I can do it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I can do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can do it.

i would like to watch from the observation gallery.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I would need you to boot up a live cd (ubuntu would be fine). enable ssh (setting up the accounts so i can login) and make sure i can get into it externally. and plug all the drives in that we need to work with and i can make it happen
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would need you to boot up a live cd (ubuntu would be fine). enable ssh (setting up the accounts so i can login) and make sure i can get into it externally. and plug all the drives in that we need to work with and i can make it happen
View Quote

External tutorial preferred - I would like to learn

As for this thread; the two new 1TB WD RED drives arrived and were installed last night. Set them as Ext4 and did a drive-to-drive RSYNC as backup running every 12 hours like the old ones. Working fine as of now! No SMART Errors!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:12:02 AM EDT
[#17]
OMV looks pretty cool.  

Why is it that all storage GUI's seem messy?

I look at racks full of NetApp, HP, EqualLogic, EMC, etc. SANs and most of the time I'm thinking "tell me SSH is enabled and I can get CLI reference or man page help".

I guess I never got out of the 80's.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait one....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMediaVault

OMV has support for ZFS?

Ohhh....

ZFS is the only reason I ever started playing with Solaris.

Consumer grade HDs, Here I Come!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top