Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2015 1:39:42 PM EDT
I have a Dell laptop which was working fine. I did a "diagnostic" per Microsoft's instructions and it said that it is able to run Windows 64-bit fine, but it turns out that is not the case.  Now it runs super slow. Is this something easily remedied by installing more RAM, or is it something else? If it is as simple as RAM, how much more ram would I need?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to www.crucial.com and download their system scanner and see what it says about your RAM and how much it can be upgraded.  It will also tell you about your HDD and if it can or should be upgraded.  Thats a place to start.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Which model Dell and what specs?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Which OS, how much ram do you currently have, and what is the laptop model?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#4]
You can streamline with the MSCONFIG command.
That stops unneeded programs from automatically starting when you boot the computer.

Bring up the Task Manager and click the Process tab.
See what process is hogging resources.

More RAM is always good.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a Dell laptop which was working fine. I did a "diagnostic" per Microsoft's instructions and it said that it is able to run Windows 64-bit fine, but it turns out that is not the case.  Now it runs super slow. Is this something easily remedied by installing more RAM, or is it something else? If it is as simple as RAM, how much more ram would I need?
View Quote

There are a lot of things that can cause it to run slow - some are hardware-related, some software-related.

As far as hardware, more RAM and an SSD are always a good choice.  But if the problems are purely software, those upgrades may or may not make the difference you're looking for, unless you fix the underlying software problem.

Also, blow out the heat sinks.  Thermal-throttling due to a hot CPU isn't uncommon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
More RAM only helps if you are running out of memory. So, how much memory do you current have?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright, here's what I learned from crucial.com (and please try to contain your laughter):
Dell Latitude D630 running Windows 7
Maximum memory: 8192mb
2 slots, each with a 1gb ddr pc2-5300
Storage is at 56%
Chipset is an Intel GM965

I hope that gives you enough info. It was more than I knew.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like your machine will support 8gb of ram and you're running 2.  You should be able to take out the 2,  1 gb ram boards and replace them with 2, 4 gb ram boards.  Crucial should have popped up with the recommended memory kits for you.

Eta: do you know if you're running 32 bit or 64 bit for sure?  32 bit will only support something like 3.5 gb of ram IIRC.  If you're able to run 64 bit, then put in the 8 gb.  Only about $45 to max it out.

Eta:   link to some how to's on your dell.

dell 630

EDIT:  Weird - but crucial has a 4 gb kit (2 x 2gb) for 53.99  - and the 8 gb kits (2 @ 4 gb) is 239.99 .

I'd go with the 4,  No idea why the 8 gb kit costs so much.  I just upgraded wifes laptop to 16gb for $90.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you. They even recommended 1gb x 2 .  I scrolled down and saw the other options.  I don't understand the pricing differences even among the 2gb cards.  I hope it works.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 3:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Just a heads up you intel chipset only supports 4gb of ram per intel. What speed is your processor and check if you are 32 bit  ( i would be very surprised if you are 64 bit)? Go to your start menu and right click on computer and go to properties this with give you your system specs. I work in IT and have seen many people try to run windows 10 on the minimum requirements and then they don't understand why there system's are almost un-usable after.  Just because something is free doesn't mean it should be done (goes for apple os upgrades as well).Just my 2 cents
-sigadvantage-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top