Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2015 11:24:25 PM EDT
It's time to get a new computer.  I am not interested in building one.  Let me say that again, NOT interested in building one.  Have built the last two and honestly just need something that works without spending all the time part hunting, putting it together, troubleshooting bad parts etc.

So, who makes quality, well priced gaming systems?  I am not looking for boutique, high end stuff, just a reliable company who builds good systems.

Thanks,

HaM
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're really not interested in building, get a console and a laptop.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Alienware comes to mind, which is now a Dell brand. They are gaming-focused.

As to how good they are, others will have to comment.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're really not interested in building, get a console and a laptop.
View Quote

I don't like consoles, if I had wanted one I would have asked for a recommendation on one.   Already have a laptop.   Looking for a new desktop that I don't have time to build and trouble shoot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Huge cost of a built system is tech support,
So what you end up buying is mostly tech support, and a machine that is pretty much a year or older of tech in it.

As for the tech support, most of the time it ends up with they telling you to reform the hard drive and reload all the software (losing all your data), so make sure that you are backing the system up like clockwork!!!!!!

Hence when building a system, huge savings over a pre-bult system to the same tech level, and that saving can be used for a simple NAS so the system is backing it self up to another drive like clockwork instead.
View Quote

I am aware of this.   Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Big box gaming computers are too expensive for what they are, you're better off with a boutique build.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Big box gaming computers are too expensive for what they are, you're better off with a boutique build.
View Quote

I'm not looking for a boutique build ad mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been happy with dell bussiness outlet
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then buy a Dell XPS/Alienware and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's time to get a new computer.  I am not interested in building one.  Let me say that again, NOT interested in building one.  Have built the last two and honestly just need something that works without spending all the time part hunting, putting it together, troubleshooting bad parts etc.

So, who makes quality, well priced gaming systems?  I am not looking for boutique, high end stuff, just a reliable company who builds good systems.

Thanks,

HaM
View Quote

Dell xps 8700 might be an option if you can replace the powersupply with a more powerful one for a better video card.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops/xps-desktops?~ck=mn

Otherwise something like this is your best option.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-area51-r2/pd?ref=PD_OC

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the recommendations, looking into them now.

HaM
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I ordered a gaming laptop from Xoticpc and have been happy with it. They sell desktops, too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:50:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Digital Storm or Origin PC

I've had great experience with Alienware Laptops. I had an M17X when they first came out. Broke a key on the keyboard once...thats the only downside to them really...the keyboard kinda sucks.

But, Dell sent someone to my house (barracks) to replace the keyboard at no charge.

A key broke again after a few years when warranty ran out. You can buy them from eBay for $40 shipped from China where they are made (~$100 if you buy direct from Dell + shipping + 30 minutes of some Indian (dot) trying to sell you $400 extended 1 year warranty so the keyboard would be free )

It's easy to work on. It lasted me 7 years until I couldn't play really anything due to the graphics cards being dated. I could have upgraded to newer graphics cards, but my motherboard was dated (had a Core 2 duo @1.2 Ghz) and the biggest CPU I could upgrade to was an i5. The graphics cards for laptops are expensive and the only place I could find them was through Dell.

I eventually sold it on eBay for $400 ($2200 when I bought it at a Navy PX). It sold pretty quick. Could have probably gotten more. I used that money and built my own desktop gaming rig.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Any objection to getting any old Dell and then putting your own gfx in?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Do you like proprietary motherboards and cases?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not suggesting he put in a 980TI with clearance issues in, but a 960 short should fit into almost any case. And all mbs use standard PCI-E... The biggest concern would be PSU; most OEMs ship out with barebone PSUs

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on what you mean by "any old Dell"

You'll run into space problems (depending on the size of the card) as well as available power to the card if the PS doesn't have enough juice or a spare connector.

It could also be a case of you have a nice graphics card but not so nice CPU or memory, so you have a bottleneck and you aren't taking full advantage of your system.

Id be careful about going with this approach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top