Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2015 2:49:30 AM EDT
Decided to run the Windows upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on my desktop only to have the new version dump my network adapter drivers, GPU drivers, and God knows what else.

And lovely for me my Hardware doesn't have Win10 drivers, he'll they don't even have 8.1 drivers.

So now that my PC is rolled back to 8.1 the motherf#%{er still is missing a ton of drivers that worked before but not now.

I should have trusted my gut.

Warning to those looking to upgrade: Windows 10 does NOT scan hardware to make sure it is compatible.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
you should not do magic you do not understand
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You have now entered the "No Fun Zone". All further conversations with your machine will be handled through the DOS port at C://

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Rookie mistake.

Always have a full set of drivers available for your machine. If it's so old that compatibility is sketchy, you should know that.

I find it hard to blame w10 here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I did a system image of my Windows 8.1 system, did the Windows 10 upgrade.  No real issues, love it, not going back
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rookie mistake.

Always have a full set of drivers available for your machine. If it's so old that compatibility is sketchy, you should know that.

View Quote

It's software very bad design actually.  

Considering that the Win 10 crap is supposed to upgrade at least Win 7 and 8 OSs it should include drivers for machines that were selling at the time those two OS were released and later, at least.  Or, at minimum be compatible with those.  After all, that's the users pool Microsoft wants to attract, isn't it?

So, Microsoft's psychos were too busy designing how to spy and prey on unsuspecting users and likely spent most of the Win 10 development resources on it instead of designing a good user experience like the previous competent Microsoft's developers who designed Win 7 did.

I am running Win 7 in a 2004 desktop PC (yes, a Pentium 4) I built myself and did not have any compatibility issues when installing 7 on it.  That PC also runs XP or Vista, depending on the HDD I activate.  And Vista also runs quite fine.  Never had a problem with it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Considering that the Win 10 crap is supposed to upgrade at least Win 7 and 8 OSs it should include drivers for machines that were selling at the time those two OS were released and later, at least.  Or, at minimum be compatible with those.  After all, that's the users pool Microsoft wants to attract, isn't it?

So, Microsoft's psychos were too busy designing how to spy and prey on unsuspecting users and likely spent most of the Win 10 development resources on it instead of designing a good user experience like the previous competent Microsoft's developers who designed Win 7 did.

I am running Win 7 in a 2004 desktop PC (yes, a Pentium 4) I built myself and did not have any compatibility issues when installing 7 on it.  That PC also runs XP or Vista, depending on the HDD I activate.  And Vista also runs quite fine.  Never had a problem with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rookie mistake.

All the machines?

The thousands of different hardware configurations?

Maybe hardware designers, who have had access to Windows 10 for a year, might have upgraded their drivers.  

I've loaded Windows 10 on a couple of machines, and had zero difficulties beyond needing to reload an Nvidia driver to get to the latest version.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a similar issue with my desktop, which is currently running Win 7. My wireless card is not supported by Win 10, so I had to roll it back to 7.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Rookie mistake.

View Quote

yeah I know, I should have. I fucked myself in that aspect.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a similar issue with my desktop, which is currently running Win 7. My wireless card is not supported by Win 10, so I had to roll it back to 7.
View Quote

I would just buy a new wireless card. Running Win 10 is worth more than spending $20.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All the machines?

Maybe hardware designers, who have had access to Windows 10 for a year, might have upgraded their drivers.  

I've loaded Windows 10 on a couple of machines, and had zero difficulties beyond needing to reload an Nvidia driver to get to the latest version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rookie mistake.

All the machines?

Not really.  There are not so many common chipset manufacturers.  And the incompatibility issues I keep reading with Win 10 shows the Microsoft developers did not spend much time with that aspect of the OS and concentrated more on how to spy on the users.  

So, users will have to spend money buying new hardware, that might not be supported also, or roll back and be much happier.

For desktop users, for example, there's nothing in Win 10 that justifies the extra money spent and the headache of being stalked by Microsoft besides the risk of identity theft, etc.  

If you are happy with it, good for you.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
No issues here. I'd never go back to 8.1 or 7.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not really.  There are not so many common chipset manufacturers.  And the incompatibility issues I keep reading with Win 10 shows the Microsoft developers did not spend much time with that aspect of the OS and concentrated more on how to spy on the users.  

So, users will have to spend money buying new hardware, that might not be supported also, or roll back and be much happier.

For desktop users, for example, there's nothing in Win 10 that justifies the extra money spent and the headache of being stalked by Microsoft besides the risk of identity theft, etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rookie mistake.

All the machines?

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about.  The VAST majority of users have no problems whatsoever with Windows 10 and updating from Windows 8.  

Everything has its own drivers.  Every chipset, every processor, every peripheral.  So, whose problem is it when someone finds an odd combination of hardware that needs a driver loaded to make it work?  Microsoft's, or the people who made the hardware and have had a year to update their drivers but didn't care enough to do so?

The obsession with some reporting things you don't understand is absurd.  Let it go.  Push the buttons you need to push to disable it if it bothers you so much, as you pretend your internet traffic is a big secret that nobody knows about.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I need to find these sites that serve as the ZeroHedge of tech.  For the lulz.

ZOMG teh spiezZez!!1!!!1  My packets are so secrets until windows 10!!!1!1!   MY PRECIOUS!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm flashing bios and trying to reinstall drivers now
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I liked 8.1 over any other previous windows.

I now have 10 and I like it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I did a system image of my Windows 8.1 system, did the Windows 10 upgrade.  No real issues, love it, not going back
View Quote

Same here, research, image, upgrade. Happy, happy, happy.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not going to upgrade to win 10.

I'll use a Mac or Linux before I go there.

The whole spying on me thing is not something I'm willing to pay for when there are other options.

Even if it's a small complaint, it's an insult.  That's enough for me.

Some things I can't circumvent, but upgrading to win 10 isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Rookie mistake.

I find it hard to blame w10 here
a backup.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Decided to run the Windows upgrade from 8.1 to 10 on my desktop only to have the new version dump my network adapter drivers, GPU drivers, and God knows what else.

And lovely for me my Hardware doesn't have Win10 drivers, he'll they don't even have 8.1 drivers.

So now that my PC is rolled back to 8.1 the motherf#%{er still is missing a ton of drivers that worked before but not now.

I should have trusted my gut.

Warning to those looking to upgrade: Windows 10 does NOT scan hardware to make sure it is compatible.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that. I started having doubts about upgrading to Win10, so I went through the process of canceling my reservation. Based on your post, glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I installed it on a couple of laptops.  I have not booted them since it works great for me!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Nerds???

Rather than taking his Big Hair love, in her stockings, garter belt, tall pointed high heels, push up bra...

Gently over his knee..

Carefully raising his paddle and spanking her rounded buttocks...

As she squealed in ecstasy...

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not going to upgrade to win 10.

I'll use a Mac or Linux before I go there.

The whole spying on me thing is not something I'm willing to pay for when there are other options.

Even if it's a small complaint, it's an insult.  That's enough for me.

Some things I can't circumvent, but upgrading to win 10 isn't one of them.
View Quote

LOL "spying on me"
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I decided right after Windoze 10 was released not to adopt it.
The biggest reason was I wasn't going to subject my ancient Windoze 7 laptops to a new OS.
They aren't broke, run great and don't need upgrading.
Now that Windoze 10 has been confirmed as spyware it reinforces my decision to stay with W7x64.
And yes, I disabled and removed all the Windoze 7 spyware that the Evil Empire installs and calls "updates".

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#29]
So you going to give us some actual info about your magic hardware config that didn't have drivers for anything?  How old is it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...

This. I have upgraded 5 different computers and have not had a single problem yet (other than having to purge my system reserved drive to make room for the update on one of the computers).

I think Win 10 was a smash hit.. It is what windows 8 was suppose to be but because they screwed it up so bad they couldn't just push an update (because of the bad reputation of 8). I was actually getting use to 8.1 (and it is fast as shit compared to 7), but Win 10 is hands down the fastest OS I have ever used (windows based).
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I decided right after Windoze 10 was released not to adopt it.
The biggest reason was I wasn't going to subject my ancient Windoze 7 laptops to a new OS.
They aren't broke, run great and don't need upgrading.
Now that Windoze 10 has been confirmed as spyware it reinforces my decision to stay with W7x64.
And yes, I disabled and removed all the Windoze 7 spyware that the Evil Empire installs and calls "updates".

View Quote

Yawn.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So you going to give us some actual info about your magic hardware config that didn't have drivers for anything?  How old is it?
View Quote

I'll post it all up tomorrow, I let my membership lapse and lost track of my posts without the subscriptions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top