Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 1:23:12 PM EDT
Why can't I get my vSphere client to connect to a VMWare host when there is no functional DNS server (for the local network)?  While doing some maintenance over the weekend, I had some servers down, and it just so happens that they were all the DNS servers.  Shouldn't matter, since I know what the IPs of all the hosts are, right?  Nope, couldn't get to any of the hosts until I got a DNS server up. Soon as DNS was up, vSphere client connected right up, even though I was using the IP address, not the FQDN.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
How long did you wait?

It may have been waiting for a reverse lookup on your address, and having to wait for it to time out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I connect to my ESXi servers at the house using IP. I don't know your config though.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a hosts file?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Had that problem when I upgraded to 6.0.  DNS goes down and the vCenter appliance instantly loses connectivity with the hosts.  I think they're using the FQDN to generate SSL certificates.  Which is f-ing stupid and means you can't ever change vCenter's hostname after install.  If you configure it to connect by IP, you can't change the IP or connect via hostname.  Connecting directly to the host by IP worked fine though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had that problem when I upgraded to 6.0.  DNS goes down and the vCenter appliance instantly loses connectivity with the hosts.  I think they're using the FQDN to generate SSL certificates.  Which is f-ing stupid and means you can't ever change vCenter's hostname after install.  If you configure it to connect by IP, you can't change the IP or connect via hostname.  Connecting directly to the host by IP worked fine though.
View Quote

Almost my exact same setup: 5.5 hosts upgraded to 6.0; never had this problem before the upgrade.  For now, I think I'll just move DNS to a real box instead of the VM's.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
That's an odd one for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top