Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 8:54:06 PM EDT
I recently bought an older Panasonic Toughbook from my PD. They stripped everything out of it like, cd/dvd disk drive, hard  drive and so on. Laptop powered up fine. I found a used hard drive on ebay with the case for this computer with XP pro installed. I got it and put it in. The laptop starts to boot, flashes a blue screen and then restarts. I am unable to even boot to safe mode. The blue screen flashes so fast I can't even get the code to research it.

Any ideas? I could use some help with it, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
can you boot to the bios setup?  turn it on...hammer F2 key to enter setup page....if that happens it might be just an operating system driver issue

xp probably ran fine on the puter it was built in/on....but they don't usually like new hardware thrown at them (the op/sys)

I'd guess video driver and video card are too different? or drive settings in bios ?

maybe booting to a cd-rom or flash drive of XP to install a fresh operating sys would work?

eta: first, I'd try fiddling in the bios with your drive settings...... may need a toggle to ATA instead of AHCI.... ??  (wondering if panasonics have similar settings to Dells)

I have a cf-19 toughbook at work I could take a look at next week?

tagged
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
could it be as simple as whats the hard drive set on ? Master or slave.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure, I could get to bios and fiddled with a few things and went back to default setting still no joy. I will get a pic of the bios, what would you need to see specifically?

The hard drive I got for it came from another tougbook, the hard drive was wiped but xp pro was left installed or so the seller said.

I also do not have a boot disk. The computer as it sits does not have any usb ports. The removed everything that could be removed for some reason. Will have to get a cd rom/disk drive for it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
when we wipe a hard drive...it won't have any Windows software.

being able to play in the bios means your hardware is good.  

what screens do you see before the blue?  a windows XP screen?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Reinstall windows.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I get the windows xp screen for second or two then the blue screen flashes then it reboots asking to resume windows normally, also gives choice of safe modes. Picking any of the options does not work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I get the windows xp screen for second or two then the blue screen flashes then it reboots asking to resume windows normally, also gives choice of safe modes. Picking any of the options does not work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to reformat and reinstall.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
How would you suggest I reformat? I am unable to access any setting controls to try and do that so far. I am not an expert on computers
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How would you suggest I reformat? I am unable to access any setting controls to try and do that so far. I am not an expert on computers
View Quote

With a install disk.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With a install disk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a install disk.

Don't have one, or a cd/dvd driver installed for that matter I will have to buy one.

here are some pics of the bios screens

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a cd/dvd drive and made a Linux based boot disk using SLAX. The computer will run using that but it is pretty slow. I was thinking about wiping the hard drive and installing the SLAX os on it. What is the best method or quickest way to wipe/reformat the hard drive?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I found a linux based OS called Slax that uses very little resources. I set it up to boot from and USB and it works great now. I just need to wipe/reformat the hard drive and once that is done I might install UBUNTU.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I found a linux based OS called Slax that uses very little resources. I set it up to boot from and USB and it works great now. I just need to wipe/reformat the hard drive and once that is done I might install UBUNTU.
View Quote

You can install gparted and use it to wipe the HDD
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I will look into that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top