Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 4:23:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As a general rule, is it better to reach maximum capacity by dividing all the slots equally, or put the total in one or two slots?

ie, is it better to have 4GB in 6 slots, 8GB in 3 slots, or 16GB in one and 8GB in another to get to 24GB max?
View Quote

What motherboard do you have?

You want memory to run in dual channel mode, so an even number of slots should be populated.  

So in 6 slots, to get to 24GB, you want all six slots to be populated with 4GB modules.

For triple channel operation, 8GB in 3 slots is best for 24GB total.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know motherboard, it's at home.

I do know that it has six slots, in 2 banks of three, and has two 2GB sticks and 4 empty slots.

win7pro 64bit in a Dell something or other, and 24GB max.

I assumed 6 x 4GB because symmetry, and it happens to be cheaper that way too.

Thanks for the reply
View Quote

You motherboard basically determines if your memory can be operated in dual or triple channel mode.  So that is an important detail.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go for 4 x 6 as 24 gigs is lots of memory and pretty well future proofed. Also if a module go bad it's cheaper to replace.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with equal Gb sticks in all slots.

Total Gb depends on what you do. But since you only have 6 slots, why not 6x4Gb?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You want to maintain equal ram in all slots and minimize used slots so 8GB in each of 3 slots would be best assuming you have a max of 24GB.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't know motherboard, it's at home.

I do know that it has six slots, in 2 banks of three, and has two 2GB sticks and 4 empty slots.

win7pro 64bit in a Dell something or other, and 24GB max.

I assumed 6 x 4GB because symmetry, and it happens to be cheaper that way too.

Thanks for the reply
View Quote

You have an x58 chipset.

These run triple channel, assuming you have your arm in sets of 3 (3-8's or 6-4's).

Less total slots driven is easier on the IPC (memory controller on the CPU).

Depending on which Dell you have, you may need ECC ram as well (Precision T3500 with an X-series Xeon or T5500/T7500-both pretty much only run CPU's that require ECC).

Nick
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You want to maintain equal ram in all slots and minimize used slots so 8GB in each of 3 slots would be best assuming you have a max of 24GB.
View Quote

Every tech god I've ever heard or spoken to has said to fill every slot if you can.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless you are doing something specific, like video editing or running VMware, there really is no reason to get more than 8g of ram.

http://www.maximumpc.com/memory-myths-how-much-ram-is-enough/#page-1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top