Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2015 8:37:20 PM EDT
No, not the guys and gals that deliver our cool toys, but uninterruptable power supplies.  I need one that will keep my core infrastructure up and running.  This is a home setup with aged/second hand equipment, so not very power efficient.  

It will run a Lenovo M85 desktop (pfsense box) that's an old Core 2, a Dell 2721 24 port switch, a TPLink Access Point, a cable modem, a WD MyBook drive, and a couple of raspberry Pis.

I need about 20-30 minutes of runtime, preferred, or 10 minutes to stop quick power flashes and for "graceful" shutdown of the devices.

Thoughts?  Brands?  What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no knowledge to add; tag for answers...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
We use them all the time at work, we have minor 1 - 5 second power outages all the time. About all I can say is most UPS's only last 3 - 4 years, after that the battery won't charge.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a trusty APC SmartUPS. Not the ones you're getting at best buy but the network grade stuff that costs a few hundred to a few thousand. Problem is to tell you what runtime you will get you need to know your power draw. 20-30 minutes isn't too bad of a requirement for a load like that. You might look at something like a APC SMC1500 Smart-UPS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We use them all the time at work, we have minor 1 - 5 second power outages all the time. About all I can say is most UPS's  Batteries only last 3 - 4 years, after that the battery won't charge.
View Quote
fify

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy one of these and find out how much wattage you're running, then buy an appropriate sized UPS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
go see you office IT guys.  ask if they have any old dead ups.  get one that is 1500va or higher.  go buy a couple of golf cart batteries or deep cycle ones .  just wire them up and you should be gtg
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
go see you office IT guys.  ask if they have any old dead ups.  get one that is 1500va or higher.  go buy a couple of golf cart batteries or deep cycle ones .  just wire them up and you should be gtg
View Quote

I had a cheapo UPS that the battery had died in setting on the shelf in my shop. One day after I had to replace the battery in my Ford Ranger that wouldn't hold a charge enough to crank but a day or two so I had an extra auto battery to play with.  I thought I would give it a try as I didn't really care if one or the other or both burned out. I really didn't think the small, cheap UPS would charge the car battery and keep it charged but it actually worked fine.

Ever since then I've always meant to get a sealed battery, put it in a battery box behind my desk and have a much longer lasting UPS but I've never gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No, not the guys and gals that deliver our cool toys, but uninterruptable power supplies.  I need one that will keep my core infrastructure up and running.  This is a home setup with aged/second hand equipment, so not very power efficient.  

It will run a Lenovo M85 desktop (pfsense box) that's an old Core 2, a Dell 2721 24 port switch, a TPLink Access Point, a cable modem, a WD MyBook drive, and a couple of raspberry Pis.

I need about 20-30 minutes of runtime, preferred, or 10 minutes to stop quick power flashes and for "graceful" shutdown of the devices.

Thoughts?  Brands?  What do I need to know?
View Quote

Wow!  I totally messed up my model numbers.  

Lenovo M57P, and a Dell 2724 switch.  I'm working on calculations now.  So far, it looks like I would be okay with 100 watts for the Lenovo, and 100 watts for the switch.

The test tool looks great, but I don't see a need for it, outside of this one-time use, so I'm going to try to avoid the purchase, as long as I can find ballpark estimates...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
All my major electronics have UPSs on them. I swear by APC and have at least 15 APC Pro 1000 between the office I manage and my home. On the plus side they have replaceable batteries so you don't have to by a whole new unit when the batteries crap the bed.
I also make sure my modem, router, wifi hubs and switches get an UPS to themselves, saves me a headace a week.

:::EDIT:::
At our office we have full  i7 16GB ram, CAD machines each with a APC Pro 1000, they are setup with graceful shutdown and usually last about 15 min if not more.

We also have a APC Smart UPS 1500 for our server, that thing is a monster and way overkill for your needs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Look at CyberPower equipment.  You're probably using 2-300 watts with that setup running full tilt.  I'd buy this for 20-30 minutes runtime:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048&cm_re=cyberpower_1500-_-42-102-048-_-Product

If you really need 30 minutes plus, you'll have to step up to something bigger:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102145&cm_re=cyberpower_1500va-_-42-102-145-_-Product
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had a cheapo UPS that the battery had died in setting on the shelf in my shop. One day after I had to replace the battery in my Ford Ranger that wouldn't hold a charge enough to crank but a day or two so I had an extra auto battery to play with.  I thought I would give it a try as I didn't really care if one or the other or both burned out. I really didn't think the small, cheap UPS would charge the car battery and keep it charged but it actually worked fine.

Ever since then I've always meant to get a sealed battery, put it in a battery box behind my desk and have a much longer lasting UPS but I've never gotten around to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My work's gigantic pair of UPSes each run many racks of 12v batteries.  I assume truck/farm implement sized.
Couple of these bad boys: http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Backup-Power-UPS/9315.aspx
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a APC 1500 and use 2 12V batteries for the 24 volts needed. I have 130 Ah. It will run my LED TV, Desktop, router/modem for at least 5 hours, I got bored and stopped the test.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
We've had a handful of cyberpower UPSs in our office before, didn't have a good experience with them they crap the bed pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Look at CyberPower equipment.  You're probably using 2-300 watts with that setup running full tilt.  I'd buy this for 20-30 minutes runtime:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048&cm_re=cyberpower_1500-_-42-102-048-_-Product

If you really need 30 minutes plus, you'll have to step up to something bigger:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102145&cm_re=cyberpower_1500va-_-42-102-145-_-Product
View Quote

Yes.  I've actually been looking at this as a possibility.  I'm not sure what the differences are...

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-1500VA-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK

The only thing I can tell is the pure sine wave vs. simulated...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We've had a handful of cyberpower UPSs in our office before, didn't have a good experience with them they crap the bed pretty quickly.
View Quote

Hmmm...  I'll keep this in mind.  The other option is this:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-Back-UPS-10-outlet-Uninterruptible/dp/B003Y24DEU

So far...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-Back-UPS-10-outlet-Uninterruptible/dp/B003Y24DEU

So far...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far...

The cool thing with that one is if you decide you need more time on the shutdowns you can add another battery to it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had plenty of APC units shart themselves in interesting ways.  Haven't had a CyberPower unit crap out yet (although I only buy 1000 and 1500va models).  If you're looking at sub-$500 UPS units, you aren't gaining anything from APC.  If you're protecting tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, then it makes sense to go APC for the connected equipment warranty.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I use Cyberpower at the house and have never had an issue with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top