Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2015 11:58:41 PM EDT
Ok, I just bought an asus rt-ac68u that I'm tying to hook up. I keep getting a window requesting a user name/password for authorization. I've been monkeying around with this s**t for 7 hours and I still don't have it figured out. can somebody help me before I drive into a bridge abutment?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I am willing to bet unless you have changed the user name or password from their defaults the

User Name is: admin

Password is: admin

Thiss will get you into the router to change your network name and password.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Or
admin
password
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am willing to bet unless you have changed the user name or password from their defaults the

User Name is: admin
Password is: admin

Thiss will get you into the router to change your network name and password.
View Quote

Follow this advice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I've tried both of those all day.

I turned off the windows firewall and still get a 401: not authorized message.

Google has been no help at all. I called asus at 3:02 pst for help. They go home at 3:00 so I may be stuck until Monday.

ETA When I use the setup wizard it keeps saying, unable to detect wired connection. I have checked, unplugged, reset, replugged everything at least a dozen times. Not sure what's up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Unlikely solution but have you tried the factory reset button on the device.  Stick the paper clip in there and hold the button down for a time to reset it?

Also all the other general Internet explorer security settings back to default on your machine?

If you right click into network settings is your Local Area network connection enabled?  Presuming you are trying to get into router via wired Ethernet connection.

I guess I should have asked this first thing but do you have connectivity when "wired" and this is just a wireless connectivity issue into the router or are you trying to get in to the router while connected via Ethernet and can not get in that way either?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unlikely solution but have you tried the factory reset button on the device.  Stick the paper clip in there and hold the button down for a time to reset it?
Yes

Also all the other general Internet explorer security settings back to default on your machine?
I believe so but I will double check

If you right click into network settings is your Local Area network connection enabled?  Presuming you are trying to get into router via wired Ethernet connection.
Set to auto detect  and proxy server disabled

I guess I should have asked this first thing but do you have connectivity when "wired" and this is just a wireless connectivity issue into the router or are you trying to get in to the router while connected via Ethernet and can not get in that way either?
Right now I have the modem running of the cox cable and the router is plugged in per the quick start instructions. So it appears the connectivity is there via cox but I'm getting diddly from the router. If that's not what you asked me sorry. I'm 8 hours and three margaritas into this project I thought would take me 15 minutes. I'm getting a bit loopy.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes

I believe so but I will double check

Set to auto detect  and proxy server disabled

Right now I have the modem running of the cox cable and the router is plugged in per the quick start instructions. So it appears the connectivity is there via cox but I'm getting diddly from the router. If that's not what you asked me sorry. I'm 8 hours and three margaritas into this project I thought would take me 15 minutes. I'm getting a bit loopy.

Is this a "Brand new" setup with Cox Cable? If it is, did you call them and give the "MAC" address of the cable modem?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is this a "Brand new" setup with Cox Cable? If it is, did you call them and give the "MAC" address of the cable modem?
View Quote
Very good point it this is an entirely brand new set up than the modem would be stuck in a captive state until provisioned by the Cable company.  But I believe he said that from just the modem he had service.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very good point it this is an entirely brand new set up than the modem would be stuck in a captive state until provisioned by the Cable company.  But I believe he said that from just the modem he had service.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His ability to connect to the router is independent from the ability to connect to the outside network.

If he can't hit 192.168.1.1 he can't see the router, much less the outside network.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

His ability to connect to the router is independent from the ability to connect to the outside network.

If he can't hit 192.168.1.1 he can't see the router, much less the outside network.
View Quote
True, in true ARF style he will get those that over think it, those that wild guess (holiday inn express crowd) , those that send him on a wild goose chase, and a miniscule amount of usable info sprinkled in the mix.

He explicitly stated it was a router connectivity issue and not an internet connectivity issue.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the help guys.

The high speed we've had for a couple of years no problems. The modem is a netgear that we bought, not something from cox.

Yesterday we got a roku and the asus. Before I opened any boxes I called cox to see what I needed to do, as far as needing any passwords or such from them. They said, plug it in and follow the directions, have fun.

The "manual" actually a quick start guide was easy to follow, and as soon as everything was plugged in I rebooted it all.
I followed the prompts from the wizard and as suggested changed the ssid, password, network key, wireless securiy, set wan connect to Auto IP, wan IP to 0.0.0.0
and lan IP to "Satan's IP" 192.168.1.1

When I got to the last prompt page it asked for authentication name and password to enter, and the authenticaton window refreshes a two or three times and then goes to the 401 page. somewhere along the line the initial prompt page started saying it didn't think the wired config was set up correctly. So I checked the cables several times, unplugged them, shut down, reboot, reset, etc and still the same. If I type 192etc right into the address bar I get the authentication window and it goes right to a 401 page: not authorized.

So I tried the new passwords a few times, tried the admin/admin a few times, admin/passwrod, tried my outlook passwords, my atm pin, my ssn, my license plate, a bunch of gobbly gook I typed with my forehead while I was banging my head on the desk, etc.

I can call asus monday I just missed them yesterday by 2 minutes. So if we can't figure it out I'll just give them a call.

TLDR; Bought some new stuff that's not working. Not sure if operator error or not.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a similar issue with my 87R when I bought it a couple weeks ago. I did this to fix it:

- 30-30-30 Reset; 30 secs powered on, unplug while resetting for 30 secs plug-in while resetting for 30 secs.
- Hard line connect to the router on a PC/Laptop with wi-fi off.
- Disable all firewalls/proxy
- Open browser and go to 192.168.1.1
- Password will be ASUS default admin / admin
- Once logged in change the password and start your config; turn-on firewall/proxy one at a time to ensure it's not blocking the connection.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok, I just bought an asus rt-ac68u that I'm tying to hook up. I keep getting a window requesting a user name/password for authorization. I've been monkeying around with this s**t for 7 hours and I still don't have it figured out. can somebody help me before I drive into a bridge abutment?
View Quote

I have one too, a little older version but AC too and I love that thing. Very, very good router.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm confused as to what the problem is.

If you have reset the asus rt-ac68u to factory and can't get admin - admin to work then you really aren't back to factory defaults.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Normally, this si to connect to the wireless access point, but the router doesn't have a unique username/password selection that was supplied with the router, do they?  Sometimes they put it on the bottom of the router, or included with the materials with the router?  Longshot, I know,

And, are you sure you've pulled an IP address and are on the network with the router?  On my access point, I had to "hardwire" an IP address in my TCP/IP settings to connect the first time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Normally, this si to connect to the wireless access point, but the router doesn't have a unique username/password selection that was supplied with the router, do they?  Sometimes they put it on the bottom of the router, or included with the materials with the router?  Longshot, I know,

the only username/password on the router itself is the admin/admin. during set up I was prompted to change them so I did. All manner of suggested resets (here, google, asus site) have been tried If the router is still not at factory default I'm not sure why.

And, are you sure you've pulled an IP address and are on the network with the router?  On my access point, I had to "hardwire" an IP address in my TCP/IP settings to connect the first time.
View Quote

I'm not sure what this means. The IP for my computer, as looked up via a IPsearch is different than the 192 IP to set up the router. I need to change my IP to match the router?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Are you basically stuck right where this guy is at around 5:50?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Pretty much. I watched that vid last night myself. As soon as I click on "Router Setup Wizard"  I window pops up that explains how to plug everything in and then says "click next to open web browser to configure internet settings"

Then it immediately goes to "Unable to detect wireless connection. Please check the wired connection between your computer and the router and try again."

It's an endless loop.

I'll just call asus Monday. I hate that you guys are spending much time on this. I appreciate the help though, I thought it might be a quick something I missed.

Really though, I do appreciate all the help.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#21]
unplug your router from the modem. plug into router and try
logging in, what happens?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pretty much. I watched that vid last night myself. As soon as I click on "Router Setup Wizard"  I window pops up that explains how to plug everything in and then says "click next to open web browser to configure internet settings"

Then it immediately goes to "Unable to detect wireless connection. Please check the wired connection between your computer and the router and try again."

It's an endless loop.

I'll just call asus Monday. I hate that you guys are spending much time on this. I appreciate the help though, I thought it might be a quick something I missed.

Really though, I do appreciate all the help.
View Quote

The instructions should tell you that you need to be plugged into the router to configure it. Wifi will not work for this.

If they don't specify that, or you didn't see that in there..here it is again. You need to be plugged into the router to configure it.

Use a network cable from your computer to the router. Let it negotiate the connection, then visit http://192.168.1.1

Follow the onscreen instructions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]
How I have it setup (as per the diagram in the manual):
I have a cable running from the modem to the router.
Another from the computer to the router.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's what I would try. Bear with me, it's been a while since I've configured my Asus routers so I'm going off of memory (rt56u and rt65u).

Connect only the computer to the LAN port. Leave the WAN port disconnected from the cable modem.

If your computer has a wireless module, disable WiFi. If I remember right, Asus factory settings disallow admin page access via WiFi.

Try skipping the config wizard? I think there's a way to jump directly to the admin pages without completing the wizard. Configure the admin password and just test that part without tweaking any other setting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what this means. The IP for my computer, as looked up via a IPsearch is different than the 192 IP to set up the router. I need to change my IP to match the router?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the only username/password on the router itself is the admin/admin. during set up I was prompted to change them so I did. All manner of suggested resets (here, google, asus site) have been tried If the router is still not at factory default I'm not sure why.

The IP on your computer should be in the 192.168.1.xxx range, in order to actually connect to the router, which is listed as 192.168.1.1.   I'm not sure what "IPSearch" is, but this is the local IP of your computer, not the public IP.

To check this (assuming Windows machine) go to Start -> Run -> cmd, then type ipconfig /all.  If you're wired in to the router, your Ethernet connection should have a 192.168.1.xxx address.

Make sure this is the only network connection on the computer.  If wired to the router, turn off your wireless card.  

Disclaimer:  I have not read the rest of the thread.  This may have been covered.

ETA:  I misread the OP.  It looks like you're getting to the username/password prompt.  Assuming you know it is for that router, my posts are irrelevant.

(I will get poor marks on the survey.  )

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wonder if one of your neighbors logged in (wirelessly) when you were setting it up, supplied the default username and password, and then changed these, locking you out of the system.   If so, that means he probably PWNs your network right now.

Reset the router.   As in find the "paperclip in a hole" location, and hold it down for 30 seconds till the lights go blinky blinky.  That should reset everything to its original state.  Then, log into the damn thing and IMMEDIATELY change the default username and password to one of your own choosing, before the neighbor fucks with you again.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Where you at with this OP?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, it was operator error. I’m still not sure how it’s fixed but it is. During all of the resets somehow I was never getting a good reset. I don’t understand that because I must have tried every reset suggested at least twice. But it’s working now.

Again, I really appreciate all the time you guys spent trying to help a moran.

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top