Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2015 3:00:25 PM EDT
A psu at my office died (cheap china POS) and I replaced it with another, better quality unit. The PC would not post after all of the reset procedures... Tell tale dead mobo (asus).

I replaced it with a new MSI board expecting to re-install windows and deal with all of the BS of transferring files between multiple HDD's. To my surprise, the pc booted into win7 without any issues and other than installing new drivers, it ran like nothing happened.

What gives? I thought the OS always needed to be re-installed when the mobo is replaced?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe re-activated, but not reinstalled.

people do it a lot because of the drivers.

but I have done that multiple times with no issues.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The OS on the hard drive knows it's a good, properly loaded/activated copy.  

As far as it's concerned, it's not a new copy of Windows, it's just doing its standard "auto-detect new hardware" routine.  Except in this case it's the mobo.  

The need for reinstalling the whole OS went out with Windows 7, though I think I remember XP doing the same.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
vista was the first to start the checking did you replace parts, reactivate.
I have windows xp images I can move from box to box and it has no idea.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#4]
If you change enough hardware at once, it might require reactivation.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]
if it doesn't boot, you still don't have to reinstall.
the repair option fixes that too.

the issue is, getting the correct drivers on for your new hardware. that doesn't require a full install no matter how different it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I changed my motherboard on Win 7 a few months ago and I had to call Microsoft to get it re-activated, which they did with no problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
vista was the first to start the checking did you replace parts, reactivate.
I have windows xp images I can move from box to box and it has no idea.
View Quote

I've had to re-authenticate XP after replacing a mobo.  It has also prompted me to re-authenticate after replacing a video card.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I am so glad that win7 does this.
I just upgraded my 5yo MB and CPU and Memory And installed a new Boot SSD. and Win 7 still has not asked to be reactivated.
just a few reboots and supplying the proper drivers as needed and WIN7 runs fine but way faster than it used to.
oddly enough office 2010 pro did want re activation which it did instantly online without any issues.

edit spoke too soon.   activation popped up 30 seconds after this post.  it did it online done in a couple seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top