Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:44:11 PM EDT

Anyone running Windows 10 yet?  Been pretty good to me, except for Start menu issues:

1. Encountered an issue where I can't move tiles around the Start menu.  The solution was to kill explorer.exe and relaunch it from the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

2. The Start menu doesn't disappear when starting games until I click somewhere in the game.

I don't notice either issue in the technical previews.  Aside from that, it's been solid.  I have had no device driver issues and its Win32 support appears to be solid.  Very usable with a keyboard and mouse, unlike Windows 8.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I down loaded 10 last night and installed it. It has been running smooth so far, but I basically only use chrome. The Blackberry part is fucked, it will not pair with any thing I have.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Just downloaded and installed on my parallels virtual machine on the macbook.   I haven't really messed with it yet.  It didn't blow up as near as I can tell, but can't say much past that.  I have noticed that when I shut down the VM it takes longer than it used to.  I finally just minimized it until it was done playing with it self.

It is complaining that the Windows 10 O/S is not supported by bootcamp so I may encounter 'issues'

I'm running the latest version of OS/x and Parallels 10
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty buggy right now but overall it seems like a pretty good improvement over 8.

It works much better on desktops, and the tablet mode is even better on tablets than 8 was.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I installed it on my new but slow Toshiba laptop.  It seems to be running OK so far.  I do have some privacy concerns that I need to deal with

1) Disable the wifi password sharing with friends
2) Disable the browsing history, encryption key and settings sync to the cloud.
3) Disable Cortana
4) Disable advertising ID.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I built a VirtualBox VM with Windows 10 the other day for dev/testing. That's about it. I'm going to have to rebuild another one since our actual Windows 10 Enterprise media is supposed to be arriving shortly, and then we still need to update our KMS to handle 2010 Activations.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I installed it on my new but slow Toshiba laptop.  It seems to be running OK so far.  I do have some privacy concerns that I need to deal with

1) Disable the wifi password sharing with friends
2) Disable the browsing history, encryption key and settings sync to the cloud.
3) Disable Cortana
4) Disable advertising ID.

View Quote

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read
1) comes disabled, you have to enable it
2) browsing history, don't use edge if you don't want it?   encryption key only there if you use bitlocker (which is only in pro), settings to cloud, does this need a MS account to work? - if so use local account?
3) unplug/disable your microphone for extreme paranoia mode!  pretty sure I've seen on/off settings for it all.
4) no clue how if this can be done
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a few bugs on my desktop, so I went to settings and reverted back to Windows 7.

1. WiFi would come be "limited" on each boot - had to disable and enable my wifi adapter each time.
2. Explorer would freeze constantly requiring a reboot.
3. The only game I ever play would crash after 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Using it with Firefox.  No issues so far.  Replaced Win 7. No significant improvement noted, but no problems either.  Installation was painless.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Install Classic Shell if the stock Start menu is fucky.

I have Win 10 on a test rig at the office.  No urge to upgrade yet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#10]
i'm running it on a vm. I am pleasantly surprised by it. I seem to like it equally to OS X.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Have it on my laptop I use for Internet surfing.  Using Chrome and it seems alright.  Don't like that it will automatically download and install updates since I have internet through Viasat Exede since I live in the middle of nowhere and only have unmetered internet access from 12:00 am to 5:00 am.  This will probably be the only device with Windows 7 I will install Windows 10 on for now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have it on my laptop I use for Internet surfing.  Using Chrome and it seems alright.  Don't like that it will automatically download and install updates since I have internet through Viasat Exede since I live in the middle of nowhere and only have unmetered internet access from 12:00 am to 5:00 am.  This will probably be the only device with Windows 7 I will install Windows 10 on for now.
View Quote

So schedule it to download from 12am to 5am
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried to install it on my tablet, but got the "Blue Screen of Something Happened". Since I need my desktop to actually work, I am going to wait awhile to try it there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Havent gotten any notification that its ready on any of my three machines at home. Not in a hurry though since Ive been busy redoing my home network and getting a new NAS up and running.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Scary how it finds all ones jpegs and video files and makes them easier to find.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#16]
For those that want to download and dont want to have to wait until MS decides you are anointed....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you schedule updates on Windows 10?  I've looked and can find nothing in it that allows you to schedule updates like every other version of Windows.  Everything I've found online says they don't allow you to schedule updates at certain times.  Please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:10:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How do you schedule updates on Windows 10?  I've looked and can find nothing in it that allows you to schedule updates like every other version of Windows.  Everything I've found online says they don't allow you to schedule updates at certain times.  Please enlighten me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on Exede, too. How you schedule DLs would interest me also. I found a way to block Windows updates except from 12:00am to 5:00am if you have a router that runs or can run DD-WRT, though. For that matter I've also got it set up as an ad blocker as I can't find an ad block for Android that works right, is reliable and we use our tablets a lot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm on Exede, too. How you schedule DLs would interest me also. I found a way to block Windows updates except from 12:00am to 5:00am if you have a router that runs or can run DD-WRT, though. For that matter I've also got it set up as an ad blocker as I can't find an ad block for Android that works right, is reliable and we use our tablets a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This talks about metered connections http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#21]

That covers how to shut off updates on a metered connection.  I've already done that but it basically shuts down updates completely. I've tried to get two updates manually with that shut down and they don't download.

Another thing with Windows 10 is I shut off updates delivery optimization delivery they mention in that page which has the device downloading updates and uploading updates to and from others computers on the internet like a file sharing program.  Why exactly did they think this would be a good idea for an operating system?

Besides the bandwidth issue for those on metered connections it seems there would be an issue with hackers figuring out how to take advantage of the ability.  Updating everyone with Windows 10 installed with a file sharing
system that is installed in the on position....Not something I want on a device I do all my financial transactions on.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#22]
A smaller nuisance I noticed was that the xbox app was not the most current.  It was actually version 5.5 versus the 7.7 that is out now.  The xbox app would not recognize my console.  Much hair pulling until I noticed this.  

I thought the benefit of 10 was that updates would be frequent but i had to manually push out this update from the app store.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Got it running on my old PC over the weekend. Runs OK so far. I did have to go back into services and turn a bunch of shit off.

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally got it working on my Toshiba Encore 32gb tablet. Other than having to delete Office and Norton to make enough room for the download, it went pretty smoothly thus far. Interestingly enough, it takes up a lot less room than 8.1 did.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been trying it for the last week. Yesterday and today I cannot get 1 web page to load at all.

Ran virus scans, rebooted numerous times, messed with different settings, reset modem and wifi router, Nothing worked.

Today I went back to windows 7.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Just picked up a new desktop that came with Windows 10.  Our old machine that died was running Vista.  So far I really like 10 and have not had any problems.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Upgraded the kids' laptop last week.  So far so good.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Did a clean install of W10 Enterprise N 2015 LTSB edition over the weekend. Have not had any issues so far and was able to disable most of the crap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I am.  How do I get the favorite drop-down menu back?  The have to click on the side to open a folder crap isn't better.  I want the old one back.  *snif*
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Slight setback...I updated it on my desktop, and apparently my Realtek 8812AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC card is not yet supported in Win10. It says that all the drivers are up to date, it is working properly, and it can see all the networks. However, when i try to connect, it thinks about it for a minute, then the network adapter disables (I had the network devices window open in addition to the wireless network window) and I get a "cannot connect to the network" message.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I am not a fan of windows.  I have a spare laptop with win7 on it, thought I would take up the offer to see what 10 was all about.

I did read up on the privacy concerns and am/was ready to deal with it...

so I got my "reservation" the other day, today was my day to download.

well, after waiting for it to download, it went though it's installation 'thing'
it seemed to go okay.

after reboot, it went to windows 7, again.

clicked on the windows 10 icon at the bottom, said it failed, unknown reason.
so clicked on 'try again'.. it needed to download the whole thing, AGAIN.

rebooted the same as before.  did have a code to lookup,
which essentially required a new full install of 7.

holy crap microsoft sure is generous with peoples time.

so I went looking, seems I am not alone in this experience, and mine is minor
compared to others.. there are a LOT of unhappy campers out there.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#32]
I have some slow laptops (limited memory) and an older desktop (also limited memory). How will this affect Windows 10?

What's the GUI like? Can I use a shell or am I limited to the Win 8-style tiles?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have some slow laptops (limited memory) and an older desktop (also limited memory). How will this affect Windows 10?

What's the GUI like? Can I use a shell or am I limited to the Win 8-style tiles?
View Quote

I am finding the GUI fairly easy and intuitive... it is like XP and 8.1 had an illegitimate love child.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The UI is fine I used Win 8.1 with Classic SHell (basically win7 look) and have no problems with 10. The start menu is different, but there is one, and the search is fast in it. If you wanted to, you could even install a start menu replacement and get the Win7 look back.

It comes down to how much memory you are talking about.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I was one of the extremely rare satisfied windows 8.1 users. I upgraded to 10 earlier in the week. Nice OS IMHO.

I did try out HyperV for the first time. Seemed like it would be a nice piece of kit. No sound on Linux guests though? Pretty weak, considering how robust VBox is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was one of the extremely rare satisfied windows 8.1 users. I upgraded to 10 earlier in the week. Nice OS IMHO.

I did try out HyperV for the first time. Seemed like it would be a nice piece of kit. No sound on Linux guests though? Pretty weak, considering how robust VBox is.
View Quote

Install Hyper-V Linux Integration services.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Not upgrading until after I'm done with school.  Breaking my laptop, at this moment, would be catastrophic.

I'm very interested in hearing this feedback, though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Did the release-date manual upgrade on my field laptop that dual boots Win7Ult and Kali Linux on their own SSDs.  Upgrade went without a hitch but I did have to edit the Windows entry in GRUB loader.  Created a local account, turned off all the data-mining shit, disabled Cortana, installed Firefox, ran my usual OS tweaks to get it the way I like it, no problems so far.

Will wait until somewhere in the 6-10 month mark before I deploy the upgrade on my main rig.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I may just opt out totally.  I knew about the work arounds from the obvious data mining, but this is a new, albeit not totally unexpected, finding...

Windows 10 Still Phones Home With Data In Spite of Privacy Settings

According to Ars Technica, Windows 10 will still send telemetry and other data to Microsoft-owned domains — no matter how tightly you crank down the privacy settings. Even with everything buttoned down, Cortana, OneDrive, and Web Search from the Start Menu disabled, the OS still phones home, using a random system ID that persists across reboots. It apparently also tries to bypass proxies to do it. "Some of the traffic looks harmless but feels like it shouldn't be happening. For example, even with no Live tiles pinned to Start (and hence no obvious need to poll for new tile data), Windows 10 seems to download new tile info from MSN's network from time to time, using unencrypted HTTP to do so. ... Other traffic looks a little more troublesome. Windows 10 will periodically send data to a Microsoft server named ssw.live.com. ... The exact nature of the information being sent isn't clear—it appears to be referencing telemetry settings—and again, it's not clear why any data is being sent at all. We disabled telemetry on our test machine using group policies."
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I may just opt out totally.  I knew about the work arounds from the obvious data mining, but this is a new, albeit not totally unexpected, finding...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

According to Ars Technica, Windows 10 will still send telemetry and other data to Microsoft-owned domains — no matter how tightly you crank down the privacy settings. Even with everything buttoned down, Cortana, OneDrive, and Web Search from the Start Menu disabled, the OS still phones home, using a random system ID that persists across reboots. It apparently also tries to bypass proxies to do it. "Some of the traffic looks harmless but feels like it shouldn't be happening. For example, even with no Live tiles pinned to Start (and hence no obvious need to poll for new tile data), Windows 10 seems to download new tile info from MSN's network from time to time, using unencrypted HTTP to do so. ... Other traffic looks a little more troublesome. Windows 10 will periodically send data to a Microsoft server named ssw.live.com. ... The exact nature of the information being sent isn't clear—it appears to be referencing telemetry settings—and again, it's not clear why any data is being sent at all. We disabled telemetry on our test machine using group policies."

LOL, don't ever do a packet capture on the telemetry that Chrome is sending.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Windows 7 update just started sending a bunch of http requests/posts back to MS,  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708
It is hammering the shit out of my work's proxy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#42]
So, what's the verdict?  Is this thing ready for prime time?  Should I upgrade my main laptop?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So, what's the verdict?  Is this thing ready for prime time?  Should I upgrade my main laptop?
View Quote

Do it. Live life on the edge.

Seriously if you're done with school (from your post above) and can handle the tiny chance of things going wrong I would go for it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check driver compatibility with your peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.)  If everything's supported, it should be a seamless upgrade.

It's a good idea to uninstall your antivirus/security software before attempting the Win 10 upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A Windows 7 update just started sending a bunch of http requests/posts back to MS,  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go disable your CEIP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top