Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 1:29:55 PM EDT
I need to put my QuickBooks stuff on a machine I can access from home, or keep it at home and access it from the office,
either or.

I would like to be able to rip and store my DVDs and CDs on it maybe as well.

I've seen a million different solutions, from Windows server machines to remote desktop to dedicated nas systems.

What are your opinions or experiences?  Kind of lost in a sea of static on this one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need to put my QuickBooks stuff on a machine I can access from home, or keep it at home and access it from the office, either or.
I've seen a million different solutions, from Windows server machines to remote desktop to dedicated nas systems.
What are your opinions or experiences?  Kind of lost in a sea of static on this one.
View Quote

NAS is probably the easiest path for your requirements, depending on storage requirements and budget. I've been tinkering with a QNAP NAS I picked up recently. Pretty impressive set of features and ultimately less expensive than building a new server to replace the one I've been running the last several years.

4x 3TB HD in RAID 10 (5.8TB usable)
Active Directory integration
Cloud access (Web, smartphone, etc.)
Remote management (Web, smartphone, etc.)
VPN host
RADIUS capability
Extensible with vendor and/or custom applications

Bunch more that I either forgot about, or don't really have a need for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
QuickBooks does not work well on a NAS.  When a QB file is in multi-user mode, you have to either have QB file manager server installed on a server or have a workstation with QB installed to be connected to the NAS at all times with the multi-user file manager application running.  An annoying thing about that is the user must be logged in at all time for the multi-user manager to keep running.

To further help you, I need you to answer a few questions:

What version of Quickbooks?  Pro? Premier? Enterprise?

How many licenses do you have?

How many users are accessing it?

How much are you willing to spend on a solution?

Would you be willing to pay for a service?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
QuickBooks does not work well on a NAS.  When a QB file is in multi-user mode, you have to either have QB file manager server installed on a server or have a workstation with QB installed to be connected to the NAS at all times with the multi-user file manager application running.  An annoying thing about that is the user must be logged in at all time for the multi-user manager to keep running.

View Quote

YES!  Exactly.   Don't try to network Quickbooks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you using quickbooks for home or business?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can network Quickbooks just fine.  You just have to do it correctly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you do it? I help out with a small business and I set up a NAS and moved their quickbooks company file over to it. They have two people that use it but never at the same time, so single user mode works just fine for them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If this ticket is resolved, please fill out the quality survey

http://questionpro.com/t/ALhoWZStmB
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry it's been a minute to get back to the thread. Been out sick with heat exhaustion.

Eta: I use a three license copy of QuickBooks. One of my primary problems is it doesn't like to network, and has trouble sharing files from the main office computer where the tickets are scanned in.

It sounds like from some of the replies that a storage system might make it worse?

Eta to TheGrayman : using it in my safe is a consideration if it can work from home.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
QuickBooks pro

3 license copy.

I'm trying to get two at once, one in the office, one in the shop, but it has trouble with the shop one from time to time, keeping it up to date with new files from the office.

The third copy is for me to take home and work, but that has proven hopeless. After it goes off network, scanned in files never show back up on the office desktop. I have to move them all manually then find them nan reattach them.

I don't mind buying some hardware or software that I can benefit from on the back end.

I'll not spend another penny with Intuit ever again. If their software can't work on network properly, I have no reason to believe the cloud service they try to sell me will work better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

NAS is probably the easiest path for your requirements, depending on storage requirements and budget. I've been tinkering with a QNAP NAS I picked up recently. Pretty impressive set of features and ultimately less expensive than building a new server to replace the one I've been running the last several years.

VPN host
RADIUS capability

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to put my QuickBooks stuff on a machine I can access from home, or keep it at home and access it from the office, either or.

VPN host
RADIUS capability

What version of QNAP are you using?  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VPN host
RADIUS capability

Think it's a TS-431+. Was less concerned with the specifics than the fact I picked it up at a decent price.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I do a lot of remote QB setups and the only thing I will support for remote access is using remote desktop. Running it on a NAS or a server and trying to open it over say a VPN is a disaster. For multi-user you need the DB manager. How much money are you willing to spend on this? I could tell you how to do this and make it work relatively cheap but it will be less secure but setting up a real remote desktop environment with a gateway will be the most secure but cost far more in licensing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#15]
what about putting the qb on Dropbox ?   just a random thought
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I do a lot of remote QB setups and the only thing I will support for remote access is using remote desktop. Running it on a NAS or a server and trying to open it over say a VPN is a disaster. For multi-user you need the DB manager. How much money are you willing to spend on this? I could tell you how to do this and make it work relatively cheap but it will be less secure but setting up a real remote desktop environment with a gateway will be the most secure but cost far more in licensing.
View Quote

Instead of RDP, why not Team Viewer?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the old saying go - "If you have to ask, then you likely won't understand the answer."

Partly it has to do with machine and user credentials - this varies between Win7 - Win 8/8.1 and W10.

Also audio will come over RD while it usually won't with Team Viewer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#18]
A Couple of the NAS I looked at had an onboard VM capability. Pretty slick.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm all about cheap. I've got over $2,000 in Quickbooks and the barcode scanner deal so far and it still isn't right.

I'm okay with computers and considered a remote desktop, but I don't leave anything on at the office overnight.

But with how the thing has been so far I need to do something that doesn't involve carrying a laptop around all day and home at night.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:03:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Just spitballing because I don't know;

could I install it on a machine and stick it in the safe at home then use a remote desktop from work and get full functions out of it?

On second thought that's a stupid plan because it crashes and locks the computer at least once a week so I'd need a way to restart it from work.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Noooo no no no no.  Don't do this, especially if accessed in more than one place.  It corrupts the shit out of the database.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A Couple of the NAS I looked at had an onboard VM capability. Pretty slick.
View Quote

I in-house build stuff like that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just spitballing because I don't know;

could I install it on a machine and stick it in the safe at home then use a remote desktop from work and get full functions out of it?

On second thought that's a stupid plan because it crashes and locks the computer at least once a week so I'd need a way to restart it from work.
View Quote

I'm guessing you use this for POS as well?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#24]
OP I feel compelled to cite an old saying in my field.

Fast, cheap, or done well.  Pick two.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Noooo no no no no.  Don't do this, especially if accessed in more than one place.  It corrupts the shit out of the database.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

might explain why my keepass database got hosed a few months ago.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When a file in dropbox is open in two different places, DB doesn't know how to reconcile the differences and you get corruption.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top