Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 10:39:35 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm on the verge of wiring my home.  Looking for a solid network instead of wifi.  House was built in 95 and I'm not comfortable walking through the attic so i was going to run all the cable through the crawl space.  I need some advice on how to pull this off... would really prefer to drill holes through the sole plate of the wall; into the crawl space and run cables.

Here is my current setup:
coax cable from the internet company comes into the NE corner of the house.  This is in my 9 year old daughters bedroom; so she now has a cluttered corner consisting of her computer, cable mode, and wireless router.  

I'd like to push the existing coax back into the wall and extend this through the crawlspace so I can relocate the modem and router to a coat closet in the center of the house.  From here i want to run Ethernet cable back out to various rooms of the house.  I'm thinking four ports in each of the three bedrooms, four in the garage, four in the living room and two more two port plates in a couple other locations.  A total of 24 jacks.

I think I've got the equipment identified:
Cisco Gigabit Switch
Cat6 Cable

I still need to grab some gang boxes, jacks, and face plates.

I just need to know how to best approach drilling through the sole plate.  The previous owners appear to have installed some coax cable in a couple of the bedrooms and the living room.  I was hoping to be able to use those locations and just run the new Ethernet through those existing boxes, add the jacks and go on.  But Im not sure if i can drill through the bottom of the gang box already installed AND the sole plate to be able to feed the cable into the crawlspace.  There are some rooms where i will need to install new boxes for the Ethernet, but i want to minimize the damage to Sheetrock as much as possible.  This is why i thought reusing the existing coax boxes would be best.

I can possibly get pics for anyone who might like to see anything from the above; just let me know.

And thank you in advance for any discussion/input/advice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I would leave the existing boxes alone and put old work boxes in your new locations.  That way, you you have a nice 2x4 inch hole to work through.

ETA: I just did my house, and found these guys to have great prices.  Everything I ordered was dropped on my porch the next day.

https://www.tselectronic.com/

One more tip...  PVC pipe hangers worked great.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Genesis 5092 Cat6 Voice-Data Cable

Heavier wire for $129.  You're welcome.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you do, make sure you terminate everything to a patch panel.  Solid core wire should not be crimped
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever you do, make sure you terminate everything to a patch panel.  Solid core wire should not be crimped
View Quote

Go for the better copper avoid CCA. I'm in the process of redoing mine. Get some pull string, fiberglass rods, and a flex bit. The flex bit will help you save your drywall. Bore a bigger hole so it's not so tight on the cables. I have to redo mine since I just had ran terminated cables to the modem and I desperately need more ports than I had originally planned 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, i should have a flex cable by end of the week.  I think i went with a 3/4" bit which should be big enough for four cables, maybe 5/6.  The wife thinks I'm crazy but i am wiring each bed room with four ports.  Overkill? yeah probably... but if one dies i have three alternates.  Going to try and run conduit or something so if i need to full on replace a cable i can just pull through and not have to go back under the house.

As for a patch panel, should i go full panel, or do those keystone panels work pretty well?  They are much cheaper and i dont mind using a punch-down tool on the keystone jacks and just pushing them into a panel cover.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I just wired my house. Old work boxes are a must. I would use a full panel and your 3/4" holes should be more than enough. As for 4 ports in each room, that's about what I did; 4 CAT6, 2COAX in all 3 bedrooms and double that in the living room. Make sure you account for the heat that the switch, router, modem produce. I put a fan in my closet that blew into the attic, keeps it at a reasonable temp (also have my NAS and RasberryPi VPN host in there).
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Good point on the fan.  Did you just make a cutout in the ceiling?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd use a regular patch panel, they are punch down just like keystones I don't know how much the keystone panels are and if they include the jacks. I'm not go a run conduit, just going to leave some string I case I need to add more. I put my stuff in the basement so no worries about heat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:37:03 AM EDT
[#9]
If this ticket is resolved, please fill out the quality survey.

http://questionpro.com/t/ALhoWZStmB
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
No Cat6; sounds like I may be sticking with Cat5e
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no functional difference between the two at gigabit speeds, so meh. My house is entirely cat5e (and om3 between file server, desktop and between switches )
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you see the link I posted.  They have what you want for less.  And better wire.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is no functional difference between the two at gigabit speeds, so meh. My house is entirely cat5e (and om3 between file server, desktop and between switches )
View Quote

It's better if you have long runs using POE.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
False...Just make sure to buy the right connectors, this is a myth propagated by people how don't know how to spec out the correct hardware.

Emerson Network Power - 8cond RJ-45 Conn for Round Shielded Solid CAT5

TESSCO SKU : 486001 Mfg Part #: 32-2098 UL Qty/UOM : 100 PACK UPC: 646444860017

The Emerson Network Power eight-pin RJ45 shielded connector is made for use with STP and Cat 5 cable. This RJ45 cable connector can be used with solid, round, shielded Cat 5 cable and is easily installed with most crimp tools. Each pack contains one-hundred RJ45 connectors.

Emerson Network Power RJ45 connectors produce high performance in the most demanding applications.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
False...Just make sure to buy the right connectors, this is a myth propagated by people how don't know how to spec out the correct hardware.  

Emerson Network Power - 8cond RJ-45 Conn for Round Shielded Solid CAT5TESSCO SKU : 486001 Mfg Part #: 32-2098 UL Qty/UOM : 100 PACK UPC: 646444860017
The Emerson Network Power eight-pin RJ45 shielded connector is made for use with STP and Cat 5 cable. This RJ45 cable connector can be used with solid, round, shielded Cat 5 cable and is easily installed with most crimp tools. Each pack contains one-hundred RJ45 connectors.

Emerson Network Power RJ45 connectors produce high performance in the most demanding applications.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Emerson Network Power - 8cond RJ-45 Conn for Round Shielded Solid CAT5TESSCO SKU : 486001 Mfg Part #: 32-2098 UL Qty/UOM : 100 PACK UPC: 646444860017

I'm not doubting there are high quality connectors available, however regarding the use of patch panels, the more cables you run, the more it makes sense from an organizational point of view.  Reading tiny numbers written on cables or tiny stickers that come off later in time can make a simple job into a long one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did you see the link I posted.  They have what you want for less.  And better wire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I saw the link. I would have ordered but was given approx 1400ft of CAT 5e for free. Couldn't turn it down.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:18:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah I saw the link. I would have ordered but was given approx 1400ft of CAT 5e for free. Couldn't turn it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  That's a good price.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope.  That's a goodgreat price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  That's a goodgreat price.

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Are 6inch patch cables big enough to go from patch panel to switch on a 2U rack?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are 6inch patch cables big enough to go from patch panel to switch on a 2U rack?
View Quote

Look at the picture I posted right after the OP.  Those are 12" patch cables.  6" would have been too short.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd recommend keeping cable types separated by at least 4", if possible  (data, coax, power, etc)

-surge protect any cable(s) coming in from outside the house
-bond all electronic devices to a common ground
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good point on the fan.  Did you just make a cutout in the ceiling?
View Quote

Yea. Just flush fit a 6" fan in the ceiling and attached some 6" metal duct to the end to throw the air towards my attic vents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top