Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2015 12:18:42 AM EDT
I travel a lot for work.  A LOT.  And I'm looking for a way to keep from having to lug my laptop around everywhere.  In fact, if I had a device that could replace it altogether it would be ideal.  

Here's what I need it to be able to do:
- Function as a tablet and laptop w/ decent keyboard
- Operate full suite of MS Office
- Be able to display on dual monitors for when I am in the office (home)
- Long battery life
- As light weight as possible

I have an iPad 2 but the keyboards offered for it are less than desirable.

The only thing I have found in my quest so far is a Surface Pro 3 or maybe the 4 coming out in a couple of months.

Any other recommendations out there?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I travel a lot for work.  A LOT.  And I'm looking for a way to keep from having to lug my laptop around everywhere.  In fact, if I had a device that could replace it altogether it would be ideal.  

- Long battery life

The only thing I have found in my quest so far is a Surface Pro 3 or maybe the 4 coming out in a couple of months.

View Quote

The surface pro 3 is the best option in its class.

The only possible alternative I have to the surface pro 3 is not a tablet, but weighs as much at the pro 3 with its keyboard is the dell xps 13. (2.6lbs)  The xps 13 with the 1080p non touchscreen can get around 15 hours of light usage with its battery.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only possible alternative I have to the surface pro 3 is not a tablet, but weighs as much at the pro 3 with its keyboard is the dell xps 13. (2.6lbs)  The xps 13 with the 1080p non touchscreen can get around 15 hours of light usage with its battery.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Long battery life

What he said.  I own a surface pro 3 and a dell xps13.  Both a are great but I use the hell of of my surface.  i7, 512GB. Love that thing.
My only gripes with the xps13 are that the touch pad is tempermental and I made the mistake of getting the 3200x1800.  It's beautiful but too small for that resolution.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't sound like you need a powerhouse. Have you considered the Surface 3 (non-pro).
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It doesn't sound like you need a powerhouse. Have you considered the Surface 3 (non-pro).
View Quote

I want as big of a screen as possible, the non-pro doesn't come in a 12" flavor or I would.  

Reports are coming out that the SP4 will come in a 14".  I will be happy if this come true.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:57:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll buy the 14" Surface 4 pro on day 1.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro that the company bought me.

Core M-5Y71, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

Only had it a couple weeks, but I love it.

You've gotta be careful on Dell's website, though. Stay on the business side, and away from the older i5 units.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/dell-venue-11-pro-7000-7140/pd.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn

For your application, the 10.8" screen might be a deal-breaker.

Mine is docked at home with a 23, or at work with a pair of old 4:3's, a 17 and a 19.

Bastiges will buy me a thousand dollar tablet, but a new monitor in unpossible. Unless you're a new-hire. They get 27's.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got an Asus T300 delivered today.
Haven't done much with it since I just took it out of the package half an hour ago and it's charging.
Intel Core M processor, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB memory, keyboard included, 12.5" 1080 display.
Got the signature edition so it has no bloatware. $495 on Amazon. Sold by an out of state vendor so no sales tax, but fulfilled by Amazon so I got free same day shipping on a Sunday no less.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Love my Surface Pro 2, it is a pretty great little machine able to run autocad and photoshop, even skyrim. I would beware if your intending it for work purposes if you plan to type with it in your lap it sucks, you need a better surface to play it on. I've never done it but with the right monitors you can run two daisy chained or a single 4k monitor through the onboard displayport. I have used 55" tvs with it to watch videos off the tablet or run other activities. Right now I'm using it with a wireless keyboard and a 24" monitor.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The Pro 3 keyboard isn't great. At least you have the option of using a separate mouse if you want. Took some time to get used to the size of it when using it as a tablet, the kickstand it has built in is definitely awesome for that though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
My problems with choosing a tablet.  (I'm trying to hold off on buying the Surface Pro 3 and wait for the Pro 4) lie more in the memory and processor choice.  If it ends up being strictly a streaming device to the tablet itself or a television than either the I5 or the I7 will do and the 128GB model would be sufficient.  However if it truly becomes a one size fits all solution for me than I would want the 256 or 512GB memory options (the more the better if it becomes a mobile all in one for me.  Given the fact that the Pro 4 is rumored to come with even more memory as an option and come in at a price point below the current top end Pro 3's (another internet rumor) this keeps me from pulling the trigger just yet.  i keep trying to weigh the options and the scale will not settle to either side.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My problems with choosing a tablet.  (I'm trying to hold off on buying the Surface Pro 3 and wait for the Pro 4) lie more in the memory and processor choice.  If it ends up being strictly a streaming device to the tablet itself or a television than either the I5 or the I7 will do and the 128GB model would be sufficient.  However if it truly becomes a one size fits all solution for me than I would want the 256 or 512GB memory options (the more the better if it becomes a mobile all in one for me.  Given the fact that the Pro 4 is rumored to come with even more memory as an option and come in at a price point below the current top end Pro 3's (another internet rumor) this keeps me from pulling the trigger just yet.  i keep trying to weigh the options and the scale will not settle to either side.
View Quote

Pretty much in the same boat.  I'm waiting to see what the 4 offers if it does come out in October.  If I can't justify the price increase (because I know the Pro 3 prices will drop like a rock) I'll get the top end Pro 3.  

Now if it comes in a 14" screen I will pay more for that.  I'm using a 14" laptop now.  Used to it.  I've tried the 12" out several times and could manage with it but it's noticeable smaller.

And now we play the waiting game....
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, since I've pretty much used mine Surface Pro 2 ever day for well over a year, I do really like it. I do feel it is a little on the heavy side for one handed reading but that's a pretty sad complaint for what the machine is capable of. I will say if I could do it all over again, I might not have...
Another tablet that recently came to my attention it the Wacom Cintiq companion 2. I understand that its advertised more with artists in mind but it just mean its constructed to a higher precision standard. I've had a Wacom Intous 3 tablet for 6 or so years, my god those things are so accurate. Wacom being the leader in the pen response market they do it best, with Samsung not to far behind (at least as far as my note 4 is concerned)
The Surface tablets pen accuracy is laughable and from my experience got worse going from the Pro 2 to Pro 3, I wish Microsoft would realize they cant to everything and hire Wacom or Samsung for the pen part.
The other thing is the Cintiq companion can have up to 512 GB HDD as well as 16GB of ram with an i7 processor, if more performance is a concern. From what I looked at when your getting to comparable specs they typically cost the same. You just down have the keyboard cover which honestly doesn't seem a big issue to me, as the only way the keyboard covers are useful is when you have a table surface to use them so any wireless keyboards work at that point. My porsonal favorite is my Logitech K340 I also have the Logitech tablet keyboard.
So there's another option.

FYI the Cintiq is a 13.3 inch display with QHD (2560 x 1440) resolution so that's better to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top