Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2015 3:12:54 AM EDT
He points out that it would take acres of the very best deep packet machines, consuming megawatts of power, to match the ingress of a moderately powerful router.

He also uses an example where he asks someone in the (small) audience to stand up, and says at the speed of light, the start of one packet to the start of the next is about 6' 6", and unless you're OK with injecting latency you can't really make any decisions.

Furthermore, he points out that Google no longer uses firewalls to protect the LAN - it's essentially fully open to the Internet.

Thank you. I watched it in the last six months or so but I assume it could have been filmed in the last two years.

ETA:
Here is a blog post that expands on the video a little

And this, folks, is why you log all your irc. I found this by grepping a couple years of irc logs.

20:20 <+ry> this guy says docker security is "aspirational". I love him. http://etherealmind.com/why-firewalls-wont-matter-in-a-few-years/  watch the video
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I would be interested to see this also.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you can see that a lot on redtube.

It looks like more fun than folly though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He points out that it would take acres of the very best deep packet machines, consuming megawatts of power, to match the ingress of a moderately powerful router.

He also uses an example where he asks someone in the (small) audience to stand up, and says at the speed of light, the start of one packet to the start of the next is about 6' 6", and unless you're OK with injecting latency you can't really make any decisions.

Furthermore, he points out that Google no longer uses firewalls to protect the LAN - it's essentially fully open to the Internet.

Thank you. I watched it in the last six months or so but I assume it could have been filmed in the last two years.
View Quote

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=deep+packet+insertion&tbm=vid

TRG
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
As someone who is doing deep packet inspection for an ISP I would also like to know WTF he's talking about.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Please don't listen to that man.

Deep packet inspection is done all the time. Firewalls have tools that can scan for viruses during connections and block before the download finishes. This tech has been in firewalls for years. Scanning is accomplished through the use of FPGA or ASICs and/or offloaded to secondary processing systems. There are also firewalls and deep packet scanning that forward URLs and info to cloud servers that visit and scan websites in realtime to identify threats before users can visit them.

IE - You browse arfcom at work. Firewall sends that URL to a cloud server which also visits the URL and all page elements scanning for malicious content. It will also follow links and scan other parts of the site looking for malicious content. It will report back to the firewall anything that should be blocked.

Layer 7 firewalls and intrusion detection systems also ensure that connections conform to the protocol that is supposed to be running on them. If someone tries to send malformed SMB traffic over the wire firewalls can block it. You can also designate that HTTP traffic runs over port 80, SSH traffic runs over port 22, and so on. If someone tries to run a different protocol over the port other than what is specified the firewall will block it.

View Quote

At the speed modern processors operate at light travels fractions of an inch for each clock cycle. But none of this is relevant to the issue at hand.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Fun fact.  Many of the proponents of Net Neutrality wanted it to include a federal ban on DPI.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At the speed modern processors operate at light travels fractions of an inch for each clock cycle. But none of this is relevant to the issue at hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I mentioned that because it stuck with me and might help ID the video. The rest of the stuff I could mention is unremarkable - bad audio, bad lighting.

Also, I was let down by that, because I'd hoped he had something pithy like Grace Hopper.

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I mentioned that because it stuck with me and might help ID the video. The rest of the stuff I could mention is unremarkable - bad audio, bad lighting.

Also, I was let down by that, because I'd hoped he had something pithy like Grace Hopper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpsKnWZrJ8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpsKnWZrJ8

Grace Hopper was cool as fuck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Grace Hopper was cool as fuck.
View Quote

I named my son after Alan Turing. I'd hoped to name a daughter after Grace Hopper, but I had to settle for a middle name of MAE. Whatever my ex thinks that name stands for, I agreed to it because it aligned with my interests.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is a blog post that expands on the video a little

And this, folks, is why you log all your irc. I found this by grepping a couple years of irc logs.

20:20 <+ry> this guy says docker security is "aspirational". I love him. http://etherealmind.com/why-firewalls-wont-matter-in-a-few-years/  watch the video
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
You know Lockheed Martin doesn't have firewalls either, much like Google.  Why? Because cause they have advanced IDS/IPS that uses Deep Packet Inspection.  Much like Google.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]

OP take a look at Gigavue, you can store days worth of data off 10g links and recreate data from a specific tcp stream

Quoted:
Fun fact.  Many of the proponents of Net Neutrality wanted it to include a federal ban on DPI.
View Quote

So make packet sniffing in the realm of money laundering and racketeering. As something only the government can do?

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You know Lockheed Martin doesn't have firewalls either, much like Google.  Why? Because cause they have advanced IDS/IPS that uses Deep Packet Inspection.  Much like Google.
View Quote

So much for defense in depth.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I think we are overlooking a key factor here. DPI or not, are they filtering the MACs?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think we are overlooking a key factor here. DPI or not, are they filtering the MACs?
View Quote

I finally get around to perusing the UC forum and this is the first thread I see...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I finally get around to perusing the UC forum and this is the first thread I see...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a party in here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's a party in here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a party in here.

It sure as hell is now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It sure as hell is now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a party in here.

It sure as hell is now.

So dmnoid77.  Please, enlighten us, do you feel that DPI is a folly and a pox upon routing everywhere and that we need giant fusion reactors and multiple CRAY super clusters to be able to have decent throughput?

Also, do you feel that DPI is an infringement on your personal liberty and god-given natural rights as a human?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So dmnoid77.  Please, enlighten us, do you feel that DPI is a folly and a pox upon routing everywhere and that we need giant fusion reactors and multiple CRAY super clusters to be able to have decent throughput?

Also, do you feel that DPI is an infringement on your personal liberty and god-given natural rights as a human?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a party in here.

It sure as hell is now.

How much latency is acceptable? DPI is less of an issue than duplicative ACLs at the perimeter and every router down to the edge.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How much latency is acceptable? DPI is less of an issue than duplicative ACLs at the perimeter and every router down to the edge.
View Quote

You lie sir!  DPI is the debil, and we need fusion reactors to power them!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Deep packet inspection is done all the time. Firewalls have tools that can scan for viruses during connections and block before the download finishes. This tech has been in firewalls for years. Scanning is accomplished through the use of FPGA or ASICs and/or offloaded to secondary processing systems. There are also firewalls and deep packet scanning that forward URLs and info to cloud servers that visit and scan websites in realtime to identify threats before users can visit them.

IE - You browse arfcom at work. Firewall sends that URL to a cloud server which also visits the URL and all page elements scanning for malicious content. It will also follow links and scan other parts of the site looking for malicious content. It will report back to the firewall anything that should be blocked.

Layer 7 firewalls and intrusion detection systems also ensure that connections conform to the protocol that is supposed to be running on them. If someone tries to send malformed SMB traffic over the wire firewalls can block it. You can also designate that HTTP traffic runs over port 80, SSH traffic runs over port 22, and so on. If someone tries to run a different protocol over the port other than what is specified the firewall will block it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What commercially available DPI tools use hardware?  Last I heard it was research only because of the small space for signatures and low throughput.  

The issue that I work around everyday is l4-l7 services can not keep up with 10,40 and 100gb links.  This is only going to get worse with 25gb servers coming to market soon.  The only answer is picking off non-encrypted traffic (the only real use for DPI) via layer 4 switch and running through DPI tools.  Also makes sense to monitoring traffic anomalies via IP headers.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#24]
PA and CheckPoint both have chassis that are up to 40gb capable. You are going to spend a SHITLOAD of money, but it's doable.

CheckPoint is currently researching and building 100gb capable chassis systems.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
PA and CheckPoint both have chassis that are up to 40gb capable. You are going to spend a SHITLOAD of money, but it's doable.

View Quote

We have carrier stuff that does GigE.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

By GigE I assume you mean 1gb/s ethernet? I would hope you have more than that for carrier class.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

By GigE I assume you mean 1gb/s ethernet? I would hope you have more than that for carrier class.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will do 1Gbps, we put them in in the CO'S to shape last mile. The vendor does have units that will do 40Gbps and you can stack them as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes and other vendors also have high bandwidth solutions.  They all get there by distributing workload across multiple CPU's across multiple chassis.  Also keep in mind that that when they say 40g or any other speed they usually mean large packet size which is easier for CPU based devices to handle.  Real world numbers (IMIX) are usually around 1/2.  Moreover they are not applying next-gen firewall functions, its just stateful l4.   (The box may have next-gen FW features, however not at that BW)

Point is its not ASIC or FPGA based its general purpose CPU (usually Intel, running Linux)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top