Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 6:01:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
This is why snapshots should be part of your task checklist.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes I already self-impaled on that sword.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is why snapshots should be part of your task checklist.

Yes I already self-impaled on that sword.

You bring dishonor to your house!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to stick with the virtual Linux system load Mint. The switch to Unity in Ubuntu a few versions back was a terrible move in my opinion. It's a bloated and unstable UI that hogs resources just as bad as anything Microsoft ever released. Ubuntu and Mint are both Debian-based so you can carry over everything you're used to loading. If you absolutely want to stick with Ubuntu you can load the legacy Gnome UI to get better results also. See this article.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer Ubuntu with MATE Desktop.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want to stick with the virtual Linux system load Mint. The switch to Unity in Ubuntu a few versions back was a terrible move in my opinion. It's a bloated and unstable UI that hogs resources just as bad as anything Microsoft ever released. Ubuntu and Mint are both Debian-based so you can carry over everything you're used to loading. If you absolutely want to stick with Ubuntu you can load the legacy Gnome UI to get better results also. See this article.
View Quote

Second that Mint is great!. But if you are feeling brave check out CentOS. It is Redhat based; where Mint and Ubuntu are Debian based. So it uses YUM instead of APT (though you can install APT if you like) I have had the same CentOS VM running a web server, Minecraft, and SFTP for years without any hiccup..
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would you run CentOS on the desktop? It's really more of a server OS.

Ubuntu Mate isn't bad. I'm posting this from Debian running Cinnamon, though. I think Cinnamon's become my favorite DE.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's just for browsing grab a chrome or firefox docker container.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top