Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 11:35:59 PM EDT
The folders are there but there is nothing in the folder. Mostly videos of my kids and my army stuff/army pics.

What in the fuck could of happened? I do not think I can ever get this shit back and I am livid at 1130pm.

Qnap NAS TS-231 with 2x WD Red 3TB
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
WD Red 3tb drives have a bad failure rate. 12.87%

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Do a file name search and see if they got dropped in a different folder? Also, copying over to a NAS shouldn't have deleted the originals from the old drive.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do a file name search and see if they got dropped in a different folder? Also, copying over to a NAS shouldn't have deleted the originals from the old drive.
View Quote

I found the pics in a different folder but the videos are still missing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I would the trail of Tree Size pro and see if you can find your data.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks like Qnap's "File Station" has a 2GB limitation.  It will not move files larger.  Were your videos larger than 2GB?
This doesn't make any sense why they would have this limitation but there was a thread in their support forum regarding this. The work around is not to use the included software and just use Windows Explorer to transfer files.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It looks like Qnap's "File Station" has a 2GB limitation.  It will not move files larger.  Were your videos larger than 2GB?
This doesn't make any sense why they would have this limitation but there was a thread in their support forum regarding this. The work around is not to use the included software and just use Windows Explorer to transfer files.
View Quote

Yes the videos were over 2GB. I used Tera Copy not file manager or windows.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you tried wildcard search terms for the filetypes of the files you're missing?  Examples...*.avi, *.mpg, *.jpeg, etc.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have you tried wildcard search terms for the filetypes of the files you're missing?  Examples...*.avi, *.mpg, *.jpeg, etc.
View Quote

Yup

Nothing. I am ???????
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Files are gone from the source? If so, stop doing anything with that drive to maximize recovery chances. There is recovery software or you can send it to a recovery company. Regardless, the biggest thing is to completely stop using the source drive because the more you use it, the more old data will be overwritten.

Future reference. Make backups. Copy first, verify data, and then delete.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's because QNAP'S use a 32bit posix linux kernel, there is a know file size limit of 2gb
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's because QNAP'S use a 32bit posix linux kernel, there is a know file size limit of 2gb
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL no. It may be a problem with the version of samba they chose to use. Maybe if, for some reason, they are using an old FAT filesystem on drives that has a 2gb file size limitation.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

LOL no. It may be a problem with the version of samba they chose to use. Maybe if, for some reason, they are using an old FAT filesystem on drives that has a 2gb file size limitation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

32bit linux kernels use 32-bit integers for file access and locking, yielding a maximum size of 2^31 - 1 bits, aka 2GB, the only workaround I know of is to compile in LFS system calls that were established in the Large File Summit into the kernel.  Whether this was done or not is entirely up to the developers at QNAP.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

32bit linux kernels use 32-bit integers for file access and locking, yielding a maximum size of 2^31 - 1 bits, aka 2GB, the only workaround I know of is to compile in LFS system calls that were established in the Large File Summit into the kernel.  Whether this was done or not is entirely up to the developers at QNAP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'd have to intentionally turn this off which wouldn't make sense on a NAS, or most any device. LFS has been in the kernel since 2.4.something in the early 2000s. Thats the only reason I scoff at the idea.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They'd have to intentionally turn this off which wouldn't make sense on a NAS, or most any device. LFS has been in the kernel since 2.4.something in the early 2000s. Thats the only reason I scoff at the idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They probably used some ancient embedded version Linux with an old-ass kernel, because QNAP consumer grade device.  I've never been impressed with their low-end devices, only *slightly* better than BuffaloNAS boxes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#15]
If you haven't written much to your HDD, you can try undelete software to see if you can retrieve it from your local drive....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top