Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2015 4:33:32 PM EDT
I have a bunch of Windows 7 guests running on ESXi. Users will be accessing these guests remotely but will not have access to the VMWare console. Users will have administrator access to the guest. Users should be able to reboot VMs but not shut them down. Otherwise they have no way to power on the guest.

I have looked for, but been unable to find a solution to do one of the following in order of preference...
1. Have VMware power the guest back on if it gets shut down
2. Remove the obvious shutdown methods from windows to discourage shutdowns (There is a method but it also removes the reboot option, but still allows the OS to be shutdown from the login screen)
3. Make windows reboot instead of powering off when someone tries to shutdown

Can anyone point me in a good direction
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer you seek is in gpedit.msc, if the machines are not domain joined create a local policy that disables access to the shutdown.  If they are domain joined, do the same but with a GPO.

The next questions, why do you have a random bunch of desktop guests?  How are they being accessed?  Are they in a pool?  Is there a broker?  If not, why not?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The answer you seek is in gpedit.msc, if the machines are not domain joined create a local policy that disables access to the shutdown.  If they are domain joined, do the same but with a GPO.
View Quote

I tried to use gpedit to remove shutdown functionality prior to posting this. I can remove the shutdown functionality but it also removes reboot functionality. If the user logs out they still have the ability to shutdown the system from the login screen.

Congrats on post 30,000
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You can set scheduled tasks in VMware to power on a machine.  I would assume that the task would fail if the machine is already powered on.

VMware KB article

Did you try that and it didn't work?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I tried to use gpedit to remove shutdown functionality prior to posting this. I can remove the shutdown functionality but it also removes reboot functionality. If the user logs out they still have the ability to shutdown the system from the login screen.

Congrats on post 30,000
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats on post 30,000

Secpol removes access to the shutdown button at the login screen.  I would still disable it and then add a shortcut to a %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -r script.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top