Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2015 2:56:20 PM EDT
I'm going to be replacing one of my laptop's drives with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD. These are SEDs that can be secured via assigning a HDD password in the BIOS.

The current drive has full disk encryption via Truecrypt 7.1a.

I am debating which option (Truecrypt or ATA/SED) to use on the new drive. Factors I'm considering:

- The ATA/SED option is theoretically more secure because it's (mostly) "hardware" based, and could be faster as well (although the machine has an AES-NI processor which handles Truecrypt AES drives fine).
- I am reasonably confident in Truecrypt's security. I know less about the ATA/SED option, though I have read that ATA passwords can be worked around.
- I have also read that there can be unspecified issues using Truecrypt on SSDs.

Help me ARFCOM. You're my only hope.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

- I have also read that there can be unspecified issues using Truecrypt on SSDs.

View Quote

From what I've read, it's not recommended because it may interfere with wear-leveling. I don't know if it's ever actually been tested.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
What OS?  If Linux, encryption is optionally available at install on most distributions.  If it's Windows, as long as you're running Professional or Enterprise you can run BitLocker.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What OS?  If Linux, encryption is optionally available at install on most distributions.  If it's Windows, as long as you're running Professional or Enterprise you can run BitLocker.
View Quote

Windows 7 Professional. I do not trust Bitlocker.

I'm "reasonably" confident in Truecrypt, and my main question is whether the ATA password 1) actually encrypts the keys on the SSD (Samsung 850 EVO in my case) and 2) whether bypassing the ATA password compromises the security of the data. Assuming "yes" to 1, I would think "no" on 2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top